Noise at idle

Orbital TDI

TDI
2006.5 "Diesel Edition"
I've searched, but haven't found anything similar.

While at a stop or under light acceleration (in gear), I hear what sounds like a 'clapping' or light popping noise. It seems to be rythmic, 10-12 knocks, then stops, and may reoccur several times on a short drive. As near as I can tell, it is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay, I can't seem to localize it better than that. It happens at operating temp, and while cold.

It sounds like some kind of valve popping, but I'm new to TDI's.

It is a 2006.5, DSG, 18,000 miles.

I'll probably take it in to the dealer, but seeing as how it is intermittent, I like to see what everyone here thinks.

Thanks in advance.

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
I've got the same clicking noise as you describe. I've often wondered if it was normal or not, but it's been there as long as I can remember, and I've got 66,000 miles now....

fireice

TDI
Jetta, 2005.5 , blue
same here. it is consistent with the heater/ac coming on... i think it is some airduct opening...

i am not concerned..

Orbital TDI

TDI
2006.5 "Diesel Edition"
I forgot to mention, it seems to be independent of the A/C compressor being on. Most of the time that I have noticed it, the compressor has been off.

I appreciate the feedback. If it is normal, I would love to be enlightened and know what the heck it is , since I'm a newbie.:)

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
Orbital TDI said:
I forgot to mention, it seems to be independent of the A/C compressor being on. Most of the time that I have noticed it, the compressor has been off.

I appreciate the feedback. If it is normal, I would love to be enlightened and know what the heck it is , since I'm a newbie.:)
Mine is the same. I hear it with the AC and or vent on or off.

zanakas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 160k - original cam, clutch
Orbital TDI said:
Just for future reference, the A/C compresssor is ALWAYS spinning in these cars (variable displacement pump). Not sure of the rationale behind this, but its what VW did.

Is the sound "in rhythm" with the engine (speed up with increasing revs)?

Last edited:

mdfirefighter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
zanakas said:
Is the sound "in rhythm" with the engine (speed up with increasing revs)?
No, it is always the same speed no matter what RPM the engine is at. (yes, I do hold the idle at 1200 somtimes.)

airwolf

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have the same noise. Often wondered what it was myself. I always thought of it coming from the drivers side though?

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
I think this noise has to do with the Climatronic in my Pkg 2 if you are describing the same noise I hear all of the time in my car, I haven't noticed this in my friends Pkg 0 car. I leave mine on Econ about 80-85% of the time.

Last edited: