New Manual SEL GSW Owner

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
Every since having a MkIV GTI VR6, I've always had a soft spot for VWs. Being a Volvo enthusiast at heart, it's been about a decade or so since I've had my own VW, but have had plenty in the family. Last year I found an SEL wagon for my friend and drove it from PA to TX with him. Ever since I couldn't help thinking what a great daily driver the car makes.

Fast forward to the present when I've sold one of our V8 Volvos (the S80) and found this equally hard to find TDI. It took a lot of searching to find exactly what I wanted, but I couldn't be happier with it. I'm very picky and needed to have a manual SEL with lighting and driver's assistance packages. After a few dealers laughed at me saying I would never find one, this popped up a few hours from my house!

Here's the Volvo fleet too in case anyone's interested:

So far the difference between ~20MPG on premium gas to ~45MPG on diesel has me elated. Everything else I love about the car is just a bonus on top of that.

I'll be looking into tint, snow tires and some other OEM+ additions (homelink dimming mirror and VCDS mainly), but otherwise will be looking forward to driving the car as is and learning more about TDIs in general.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
That car is a winner. Nice find. Great color too. Those cars were about $25k and hard to find when I was considering them. Has the market softened at all?

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Nice looking car. I too found what I was looking for about 3 hrs from me. 15 Golf TDI SEL LP DAP in the color I was after. Mine came with two new snow tires on the front which I'm really not going to need. Enjoy the new ride

Last edited:

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
That car is a winner. Nice find. Great color too. Those cars were about $25k and hard to find when I was considering them. Has the market softened at all?

Only ever so slightly. haha This had 45K and I got it for $20K.

Nice look car. I too found what I was looking for about 3 hrs from me. 15 Golf TDI SEL LP DAP in the color I was after. Mine came with two new snow tires on the front which I'm really not going to need. Enjoy the new ride

I almost pulled the trigger on a Golf, but there just something about a manual wagon I can't say no to. I've got family in Annapolis and the DC area. Snow tires are a plus, but I agree they're definitely not necessary down there.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I almost pulled the trigger on a Golf, but there just something about a manual wagon I can't say no to. I've got family in Annapolis and the DC area. Snow tires are a plus, but I agree they're definitely not necessary down there.
I have something else to drive in bad weather. The LP/DAP was something I was after and it was hard to find both. I found mine in Western MD at a Jeep/Dodge dealership.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I'm very picky and needed to have a manual SEL with lighting and driver's assistance packages. After a few dealers laughed at me saying I would never find one, this popped up a few hours from my house!

Nice find! Wish mine was a stick!

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Awesome colors inside and out, great features...I'm jelly!

Happy wife and all that but I do wish mine was manual.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Nice car, they are awesome. Don't crash it! They aren't makeing anymore because VW is stupid!

Seriously, my 2015 GSW SE 6MT is one of my favorite cars that I have ever owned.

Sadly, they stopped making them because of the emission scandal. I'm sure the EV cars will fill the gap.

Anyways, enjoy the car. I plan I driving my into the ground.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
That’s an awesome find. There was a red SEL manual and a red SE manual in the Denver area, but I cared more about color than transmission and bought a gray SE with DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
There were ample MT Gen 1, but I preferred the MK7 for many reasons

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
Is this the one from Whappenger's Falls? GSWs look so good in dark blue (and red!)
Yes it was! This is actually the third TDI wagon that myself or friends or family bought from them. They seem to cater to the enthusiasts a bit more than other VW dealers that I've experienced.

That’s an awesome find. There was a red SEL manual and a red SE manual in the Denver area, but I cared more about color than transmission and bought a gray SE with DSG.

I came very close to buying the red Denver one and shipping it. It's missing the DAP, but red was my second choice. They told me to bark up another tree when I tried to negotiate at all. Two days later they randomly dropped the price to BELOW what I was asking for and never contacted me. All worked out for me in the end, since the one I bought was cheaper, closer and my first choice anyway. :D

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Two days later they randomly dropped the price to BELOW what I was asking for and never contacted me. All worked out for me in the end, since the one I bought was cheaper, closer and my first choice anyway. :D

I've seen that happen so many times. They aren't willing to swallow their pride and admit that you are the one setting the market until after you leave. And then they don't have the spine to call you back.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Yes it was! This is actually the third TDI wagon that myself or friends or family bought from them. They seem to cater to the enthusiasts a bit more than other VW dealers that I've experienced.

I came very close to buying the red Denver one and shipping it. It's missing the DAP, but red was my second choice. They told me to bark up another tree when I tried to negotiate at all. Two days later they randomly dropped the price to BELOW what I was asking for and never contacted me. All worked out for me in the end, since the one I bought was cheaper, closer and my first choice anyway. :D

Having purchased a few from Emich VW I negotiated directly with the owner. I didn’t really get any special treatment on the TDI. I could only get DH for free. Yes, they stuck to their guns on pricing vs time in inventory. I got a fair price based on my research, but I didn’t get a great deal. I did get a squeaky clean car with the specs I had to have (heated seats, pano, condition and color)... so be it.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
My other family car is a 2016 TSI S wagon in Night Blue.

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
Having purchased a few from Emich VW I negotiated directly with the owner. I didn’t really get any special treatment on the TDI. I could only get DH for free. Yes, they stuck to their guns on pricing vs time in inventory. I got a fair price based on my research, but I didn’t get a great deal. I did get a squeaky clean car with the specs I had to have (heated seats, pano, condition and color)... so be it.

Any manual TDI wagon is a nice purchase! I considered most of their asking prices minus the DH fee a pretty good deal, especially considering the condition and mileage. Mine had some previous front end damage, and honestly I can see a sliiiiight shade difference between the fender and the hood on the driver's side. I'm crazy picky when it comes to stuff like that, and it still wasn't bad enough for me to walk away though.

Last edited:

mcsvt

TDI
2015 Golf SEL
Ha, I looked at that one too. They had a white manual Golf Sportwagen SEL with lighting that I wanted and they didn't even want to talk about price, listed at 24k I think. They lowered the price less than a week after they wouldn't even consider an offer and then it sold before I heard back from my sales man. They do have a pretty good selection of cars though.

In the end oh well, I ended up with a manual Golf SEL with lighting and DAP.

ESmith813

TDI
2015 Manual GSW TDI SEL
Bumping my thread after years of happy ownership. I just listed this for sale over in the Classifieds.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I very recently bought a 2015 GSW SEL TDI 6-speed manual with the lighting package. Still on my first tank of fuel so unsure what the mpg will be. What’s the driver assist package do?