West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - Oct. 18th, 2014

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Here are a few pics from Kirk's great GTG:

The entrance to the relocated TDI Epicenter...

Our host Kirk - complete with a VW 'halo' above his head!

TDI's everywhere in the woods...

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL

Jeff / Rocketchip working on a customer's car

TDI's lined up along the road by Kirk's place

It was on the chilly side so the heat was turned on...

Doing a ventecomy on a Beetle

Many thanks to Kirk and his lovely wife for hosting a bunch of TDI fanatics. There were about 45 TDI's total throughout the day. Already looking forward to the next one! :)

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Kirk and Linda,
Thanks for an excellent job on the GTG. :D
Great to see all the TDI peop's there.

Marty

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
BBQ pulled pork 2:00 pm
Great tasting pulled pork, thank you to you and your wife for bringing that - very tasty, Chris!

Thanks for opening up your house. Had a nice time.
You are very welcome John, enjoyed the ride and meeting you!

Kirk,
The GTG was a success! Things were hopping busy, fun and informative. Thanks for hosting.

Jeff,
Thanks for the tune. My Golf ran great afterward, and it seemed even better after a few laps!

Everyone,
It was nice to meet and visit. I love an enthusiastic community. My only regret is not getting to know more of you guys. Maybe next year?

Mike -BehroMoto-
Thanks for the kind words Mike!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Thank you Kirk and Linda for the gtg and lunch. It was great meeting everyone and great to get the tune from Jeff (RocketChip). The Passat runs great. I look forward to next year!
Good to have you there Brandon!

Good times, good folks, good wrenching!

Got the brakes replaced on my Jetta wagon, thanks to Kirk for the advise, shelter, and use of tools! And thanks to the others whose names escape me for the random bits of advise and for lending a hand when needed!

I also let Jeff of RocketChip have his way with my car... The change is a little UNBELEIVABLE! The boost of power was impressive, but expected; what caught me off guard was the smoother and quieter highway performance on the drive home. It just feels and sounds like the car is working a lot less than it was.... And it's not the drag loss form the brake job either, I drove home (GrandRapids) and back with the new brakes before I had Jeff tune it. Only after the tune did I experience the change.

Next on my list is to cap off the EGR and replace my aging injectors... Then I better quit for a while before my wife has me killed! :p
Way to go Nathan!

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Thanks Kirk for hosting a great gtg. I kept busy as usual, just like old times. Made it back in 11 hrs. The 09 Rocket is running so well it's a pleasure to drive. Avg speed was 75. Hit 110 a couple of times playing w/ a new cobra and also smoked a R8. He let off hehe. 650 miles on one tank(14gal), very happy w/ the CR/RC3.
Great to meet everyone. See u next gtg.
Jeff ;-))

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are a few pics from Kirk's great GTG:

The entrance to the relocated TDI Epicenter...

Our host Kirk - complete with a VW 'halo' above his head!

TDI's everywhere in the woods...
As always Robert, thank-you for snapping and posting pics - enjoyed having you here!!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Kirk and Linda,
Thanks for an excellent job on the GTG. :D
Great to see all the TDI peop's there.

Marty
I agree Marty, it was awesome to see all the TDI peeps. Enjoyed the whole deal, especially good to see you out!

Kirk

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Who owns that very rare silk blue B4V??? Lucky dog...... great to see everyone had a great time-I'll try for next year. I haven't gone to a GTG yet in the B4-just long road trips for TB jobs:p.....

fungi131

TDI
2005 golf
Thanks Kirk

I had a great time and I enjoyed meeting all the interesting people.

I am very happy with my tune, thanks Jeff.

Kirk, you have a great place, thanks for hosting. Looking forward to doing it again next year.

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Wow! 10 miles in to my 11 mile paddle board race I thought about you guys! But i was quickly awakened by a passing boat wake and reveled in the 84 degrees and bright sunshine!!!

I do miss you guys and gals though! Great job Kirk!!

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Kirk for hosting a great gtg. I kept busy as usual, just like old times. Made it back in 11 hrs. The 09 Rocket is running so well it's a pleasure to drive. Avg speed was 75. Hit 110 a couple of times playing w/ a new cobra and also smoked a R8. He let off hehe. 650 miles on one tank(14gal), very happy w/ the CR/RC3.
Great to meet everyone. See u next gtg.
Jeff ;-))
Jeff,

Thanks a bunch for making it out, I know it's a long ways to go and makes for a long weekend for you, we all appreciate it around here.

I know there were many smiles on faces after their first test drive!

Thanks again,

Kirk

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I will post a picture later of what I found failing on my car on the way to East Lansing. Hint: at 175 miles I was at under 1/2 tank. Bigger hint: I fixed it in the rest stop.

Great party and we will see you next year.

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I want to add my thanks in also Kirk. If it weren't for you, my car would have been dead on the side of the road long ago.

brianrohr13

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hey Guys, Brian Here. I showed up late there Saturday with the beard on my face and the Jetta Wagon and the slipping transmission on the car I had just picked up. I don't get on here a ton, but just wanted say hello. It was good meeting some of you guys.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes when Travis took my car for a run we turned around and there looked to be something leaking out of my car. I had looked at it earlier and I was betting it was the connections at my lift pump. But I was mistaken. We got to a rest stop north of Lansing and found that the cap on the injector closest to the injection pump was leaky and spitting out fuel.

Here is the repair:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes when Travis took my car for a run we turned around and there looked to be something leaking out of my car. I had looked at it earlier and I was betting it was the connections at my lift pump. But I was mistaken. We got to a rest stop north of Lansing and found that the cap on the injector closest to the injection pump was leaky and spitting out fuel.

Here is the repair:

Nice! I wondered who left a fuel trail down the drive and out on my street, I saw it the next Morning, sorry for your issue.

marty5382

TDI
02 jetta 03 jetta 97 jetta
Great gtg kirk. I will be back next year for sure. Thanks for the tune jeff from rocket chips this thing is so much better. Im not sure how im going to keep rubber on it at this rate. I will have to do some right foot retraining or teach the skinny thing under it to stay off the floor. Lol cant wait to do some more mods. I learned alot and hope to continue. Thanks :D

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Great gtg kirk. I will be back next year for sure. Thanks for the tune jeff from rocket chips this thing is so much better. Im not sure how im going to keep rubber on it at this rate. I will have to do some right foot retraining or teach the skinny thing under it to stay off the floor. Lol cant wait to do some more mods. I learned alot and hope to continue. Thanks :D
Get yourself a WaveTrac limited slip differential.:)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
So, was tadurkee there with her high-mileage Sportwagen?
no, she said (in an earlier post) she wasn't going to make it, kind of like you ya sapstah!

Torkey is sporting a RC3+ now w/ 403k on his odo.

We missed ya Deanno!

And the silver swaggey

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Thanks again Kirk and Linda. Mighty generous of you to open your house to us diesel nerds yet again. :cool::cool::cool: What a great time and BTW Lew, we were also thinking of and mentioning you too. Kinda miss the old days but the new days are great too!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
no, she said (in an earlier post) she wasn't going to make it, kind of like you ya sapstah!

Torkey is sporting a RC3+ now w/ 403k on his odo.

We missed ya Deanno!

And the silver swaggey
My parents clued me in that my uncle from Iowa was visiting someone in Grand Rapids, and then taking the ferry over to Wisconsin. So I booked a ticket on the same sailing, intending to surprise him in the stateroom. But I got a robo-call from Lake-Express on Friday afternoon stating that the sailing was cancelled due to what they foresaw as a rough ride. So we both ended up driving through Chicago to go to my parents' place in Madison WI.

I've been getting lazy with the car work in recent years. I still do my own basics (oil/fuel filters), but just recently had a shop replace the intake manifold (P2015 error, sticking valve), and then a torn outer CV boot. And you did my TB job. I'm getting soft. :)

bala_pt

TDI
2002 Jetta Automatic
Kirk ...Thanks for hosting the GTG, it was fun time.

I could get there only late in the day due to work but for a diesel newbie like me it was great to chat with folks that have had much experience. Looking forward to the next GTG. May be a couple of weeks early so its warmer? :)

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
But I got a robo-call from Lake-Express on Friday afternoon stating that the sailing was cancelled due to what they foresaw as a rough ride. So we both ended up driving through Chicago to go to my parents' place in Madison WI.
You gut lucky, the last time my buddy rode it and the seas were rough it was one giant pukefest. He was green for at least 4 hours after he got off the boat. Apparently, it is not a lot of fun when everyone around you is puking.

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
A great g2g. Always great getting together with all the diesel geeks in the area. Looks like we all have a new fall g2g destination for the next 20 years... i know i will be there. Thanks Buddy for a great day.