Dutch Auto Parts

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Has anyone purchased a new rebuild 17/49vb with the upgraded compressor wheel? Seems like a bargain and less than you can get a turbo in the US for.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Yes it is Fran's shop. I'm gonna buy a modded 17/49vb and want some feedback on the performance improvements he does?

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Maybe he can chime in - he's a member on here I believe. Presuming it's not a 1722 hybrid them? What's he said about it?

I've never dealt with him personally, but wouldn't hesitate to after seeing some of the feedback his customers have given on here.

Ash

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm waiting for him to reply regarding what type of mods he can do to it. I know I can get a fresh rebuilt one shipped for 650 US dollars which is less than you can get one in the US. I think he can squeeze another 20hp out of the turbo with better spool up with his mods.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Thumbs up from a satisfied customer here! (not a turbo, got other stuff)

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
naw, it's just not believable to get all the answers you want the same day you post the thread.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I guess Fran's does not have a modified wheel for the 17/49vb. That's why no one has chimed in. Lol. He offers it for the bv43 turbo.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
If you are interested in upgraded compressor wheels try looking up Xboost or Kinugawa on Ebay. Also check out this thread.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=386542
If you do go with an aftermarket compresssor wheel, make sure you get it balanced.
It, as in the entire center section - on a VSR - which Frans and a couple others can do.

Kinugawa resells other comp wheels. I didn't have the greatest experience with them.

Let the turbo builder source the wheel - they have to cut the comp cover to accept it, so its best if they source it so they can get the proper profiles for it.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Fran's told me the wheel in the 17/49vb does not need to be upgraded. No reason the reinvent the wheel. Jackson are you running the bv43 on your ride in sig?

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Fran's told me the wheel in the 17/49vb does not need to be upgraded. No reason the reinvent the wheel. Jackson are you running the bv43 on your ride in sig?
No, running the factory stock turbo with 250K miles on it. Any yes, I am pushing it a little hard at 20 psi. But I have a spare engine in the garage. And a couple of spare cars!

Trying to plan a future upgrade. Have a ported/polished 1Z head, Roysten rods and upgraded pistions are planned. Evaluating factory 170 hp turbos as the upgrade path for the car. Also want to stay away from the bleeding edge. But some of that later factory technology improvement does apeal to me.

Several people tell me the 1749 is a nice, reasonably simple and low cost upgrade for the 1Z engine. I "think" 17/49 is as large as I want to go. Don't want to give up low end spool. The 1549 looks attractive, but don't want to adopt early. What "upgrade" does Fran offer for the BV43??

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
He didn't go into specifics with me. Matt has worked on my car too and is very fond of the bv43, but I'm going 17/49 for more simple swap and still great power.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm needing to replace the turbo on my alh and Matt was mentioning the bv43. I looked into it and it is not a direct swap for sure. I would need a diff manifold and cannot use the egr without fab work and my pd150 tip would need a fabed connection. I'm going 17/49 rebuilt from Fran's for 650 US shipped.

moivw

Veteran Member
TDI
Séat ibiza(s): ahu and pd100
for later readers;
-there s not to touch the egr
-pd150 tip is no problem either

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I know I can make my 150 tip work, but need a little piece to make it connect. It's not pnp is my point. What does not to touch mean?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
I'm in Ca and can run a 17/49vb at 20lbs all day long with dynamic egr and pass the emissions test no problem. This is a great setup for people in the smog **** state. Stealth power.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
150 tip: fits 100%
egr: "no problem either"
I've had Ryan p and Fran's tell me the bv43 with the passat manifold is not pnp. I need the under hood to look factory. Does the stock alh dp bolt to the passat manifold?

moivw

Veteran Member
TDI
Air hoses for vacuum actuator are diff too
-No, just a little larger on a BV, it takes about a minute or 2 with a knife to have it fit.
it would be a good idea to edit your first post to not let people believe what you mention there does exist, and make some dive into impossible researches.

You found one difference.. Bingo! X )

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
the bv43 is made for longitudinal application and CAN be fitted to the transverse application but its not plug and play.

moivw

Veteran Member
TDI
So, yes a different oil line is needed, under the turbo, if i remember perhaps a tdi 90 ahu one can be used..? just an idea, am not sure i remember this

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Nope. The hot side can't easily be reclocked. Stop screw is in the actuator bracket which is bolted on he side of the housing