Swap in PD 130 into BEW?

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I have a 2005 BEW TDI Jetta, I have a lead on a 2005 Euro PD 130 TDI engine, includes turbo and all wiring. I have a tiptonric transmission, can this engine be dropped into my Jetta?

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
Little to no modifications.

I have access to elsawin for wiring if you want.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Awesome, thanks for the info!

What would be an average price for such an engine with 40,000 km?

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
IMO, if I was going though the trouble swapping engines with a euro unit, I would go PD150. Very stout capable engine.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
PD130 is virtually identical to PD150, main difference is the turbo with other minor differences. I have read that the PD150 has slightly larger valves and lower compression by .5. Other than that, same injectors, rods, and crank. Its MUCH cheaper.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
exact, the PD130 and PD150 are exactly the same engine, here's the differences :
- PD150 has EGR cooler
- PD150 has a GT1749VB turbo and PD130 has GT1749VA

i didn't install the VW database i have only AUDI and SEAT, and the BEW engine isn't on them, i'll install the VW database soon and i'll send you the complete engine wiring.

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Thanks Zak, that would be great.

Still curious to know what the average price for a PD130 is, I need a base so I know where to negotiate to. :)

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Why even bother with the PD130? The BEW PD100 is a very similar motor. Here are your differences:

- BEW has smaller journals on the crankshaft
- BEW has lesser-flowing injectors (but same injector bodies)
- BEW runs on EDC16 management while ASZ runs on EDC15+ (if you were to swap motors, I wouldn't even use the wiring for the PD130, just plug the BEW harness in and save the headache of converting to EDC15+)
- BEW has slightly weaker rods than ASZ
- BEW has a slightly less capable turbo (but not a powerhouse by any means)
- BEW has split intake ports (does it really matter? Cut them out if you want and use a PD150 manifold)

I have no idea what kind of deal you are getting (don't forget shipping), but I can't imagine how this is at all worth it.

Here is what I would do:
- Purchase Rosten H-beam rods ($600)
- Purchase F. Bosio R783 injecor nozzles ($500)
- Purchase 17/22 hybrid from IDparts ($1450)

You will spend similar or less money for a better setup AND will not have to swap motors. If you don't buy rods, you don't even have to take your motor apart. If you want to spend $3k on a turbo kit, go to Darkside for a GTB2260VK kit and then you will have a crazy car. All of these ideas seem like a better use of time and money.

I've done two different PD swaps at this point, and the only reason I went with Euro PD motors was because I didn't already have a PD, and they came with all wiring, hoses, and transmission. If I already had a PD, I wouldn't even think about replacing it with another one (unless it were 16v DOHC).

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
My PD100 has a headgasket and turbo gasket leak. A shop will charge $2000 to fix them.

I figured for that price (or a bit more) I might as well look into replacing the whole engine.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
My PD100 has a headgasket and turbo gasket leak. A shop will charge $2000 to fix them.

I figured for that price (or a bit more) I might as well look into replacing the whole engine.
Here is a pretty accurate cost breakdown for what a motor swap would cost you (inferring that you are going to pay to have all of the work done, as hinted by the aforementioned post)(also, I've actually done this before, but I'll keep the figures very conservative):

- PD130 w/o transmission w/anything you might need for the swap, removed by someone who is trusted enough not to send you a paperweight (it took me 2 complete motors to get one without any issues) $1800

- Shipping and import taxes for said motor w/cylinder head removed (shipping as "auto parts," not a complete motor, as to not run into any bouts with the law for having imported a non-EPA tested foreign motor) $1300 (includes cost for having mechanic carefully remove and separately package cylinder head and all components)

- Labor at qualified shop for removing old motor/trans, installing complete motor, installing trans, reassembling cylinder head, etc. $2500 (never done this, approximate guess for how much time time and work this would be)

- Consumable parts (head bolts, exhaust nuts, flanges, coolant, power steering fluid, oil, oil filter, recharging A/C, etc.) $400

Grand total: $6000

And hopefully there are no unforeseen issues with the motor (like any leaks, excessive shaft play in turbo, etc.)...

witchcraftz

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Here is a pretty accurate cost breakdown for what a motor swap would cost you (inferring that you are going to pay to have all of the work done, as hinted by the aforementioned post)(also, I've actually done this before, but I'll keep the figures very conservative):

- PD130 w/o transmission w/anything you might need for the swap, removed by someone who is trusted enough not to send you a paperweight (it took me 2 complete motors to get one without any issues) $1800

- Shipping and import taxes for said motor w/cylinder head removed (shipping as "auto parts," not a complete motor, as to not run into any bouts with the law for having imported a non-EPA tested foreign motor) $1300 (includes cost for having mechanic carefully remove and separately package cylinder head and all components)

- Labor at qualified shop for removing old motor/trans, installing complete motor, installing trans, reassembling cylinder head, etc. $2500 (never done this, approximate guess for how much time time and work this would be)

- Consumable parts (head bolts, exhaust nuts, flanges, coolant, power steering fluid, oil, oil filter, recharging A/C, etc.) $400

Grand total: $6000

And hopefully there are no unforeseen issues with the motor (like any leaks, excessive shaft play in turbo, etc.)...
Thanks Daniel, that is a really good answer to my question.

In my case I have access to local PD130 motor, complete, with turbo and wiring, just needs to be dropped in.

Asking price is $3000
Shop price for install is ???

I can probably negotiate the engine itself down to $2000-$2500
The only question is how much it will cost to have it dropped in.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
If it's local, that makes things infinitely better. I am very happy to hear that. My guess is that it will cost $2000 to be installed. I would consult a local VW specialty shop. You will also have your old motor to sell. Should fetch a good chunk of change.

I would use your existing ECU and wiring, as it will just plug right in.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a nice price. When I got my ARL I installed it myself.

Quite easy if you have tools.

mercmanjp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed Wagon Upsolute tuned, 2002 Golf TDI Rocket Chip tuned, racer
Hi Zak3,

I'm doing a swap on my 2004 BEW with an italian 2002 SEAT PD130 ASZ engine. Could you send me the wiring diagrams you mentioned in this thread?

The SEAT was an 02, and my Jetta is an 04. I've figured out so far that means I'm working with an EDC15 & EDC 17 based wiring system. So I'm trying to figure out that if I swap out the swappable wiring harness components and install the new engine, will it run correctly, and will the rest of the car work? There seem to be more wires and pins on the PD130 computer and harness than on my PD100 computer and harness, so I'm worried that if I swap them, I'll have issues with CEL lights, or non-function glow plugs or something. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Your PD100 BEW is an EDC16. You just need to swap the PD100 for the PD130 engine with NO wiring changes. You won't need to use your EDC15 ecu or harness as the EDC16 will plug in nicely.

mercmanjp

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 5 speed Wagon Upsolute tuned, 2002 Golf TDI Rocket Chip tuned, racer
Looks like the cooler systems are different on these 2, so I may need to buy an FMIC kit. EGR is also different on the 2,engines, so I may just pull it off. Where would I get the old ECU tuned, as these engines run differently. Any suggestions?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
If you are putting a PD130/150 into a PD100 car, just swap the bare engine and keep the PD100 EGR, ECU, Intercooler, wiring, everything.

These engine are identical from the outside so it will bolt on directly. Why would you want to use a 2000-2003 ECU in a 2004-2005 car?

If you want to use the european EDC15p ECU, you should swap this in a 2000-2003 ALH car, it fits pretty well.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
If you are putting a PD130/150 into a PD100 car, just swap the bare engine and keep the PD100 EGR, ECU, Intercooler, wiring, everything.

These engine are identical from the outside so it will bolt on directly. Why would you want to use a 2000-2003 ECU in a 2004-2005 car?

If you want to use the european EDC15p ECU, you should swap this in a 2000-2003 ALH car, it fits pretty well.
I'll bet that hurt pretty brutal last photo!!!

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
It did! Worst is how it happen, a moron emptied a gas tank by drilling into it. 2 millions $ in damaged was the result of this.