Multiple "tunes" in one ECU?

Olit

Veteran Member
TDI
VW SHARAN TDI (ASZ-engine)
Hi!

This is a question mainly for the ECU-tuners in this forum - Malone, TDTuning, Rocketchip, etc:

Is it possible to install multiple tunes in one ECU, and make them available/active thru the cars menu-system/cruice-control/etc?

I vaguely remember a tuner offering such a system on the 1,8T petrol - was it REVO? I really don't remember any more.

It would be VERY convenient, when going to MOT etc.

Regards

Olit

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Revo keeps the stock tune and the "tuned" tune both in the ECU and it requires a SPS (Serial Port Switch) to switch between them.

The APR tune which is currently in Beta testing also has similar ability. I have not seen the TDI version, but the gasser version uses the cruise control switches to switch between tunes.

I do not think that RocketChip or Malone currently has this capability, but that could change.

Have Fun!

Don

hooville

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, 2016 GTI, 2015 TDI Sportwagen S
I'm not familiar with the AZH engine, but Rocketchip has the capability to have multiple tunes for the ALH engine: I currently have a combo of RC2 & 3 that is changed via vag-com. If I tell the ECU I have a manual transmission, it loads RC3, if I change it to automatic it loads RC2.

faboka

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia vRS TDI PD130
The edc15p ecu can have up to 3 data blocks depending on car/software/hardware version. This is for manual, auto, 4x4 etc.

My fabia has 2. So I can use vcds to change the software code to point to a different block.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
If you are being really adventurous you copy the manual coding across all of the different data banks. Even run software from another car... And then you can have 3 different sets of mapping within your ecu and have no troubles.

Although it's a bit of effort having to use vcds to swith it. It would be nice to have some kind of cruise control button press method to swap between codings....

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
...so what is the logic in having multiple 'tunes' loaded on the ECU?

One for the wife/valet and one for my use? testing/experimentation?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
...so what is the logic in having multiple 'tunes' loaded on the ECU?

One for the wife/valet and one for my use? testing/experimentation?
Or for OBD testing, or for a winter mode, or.... many reasons. My 1998 Jetta was almost impossible to drive in the snow with the mods I had done. And taking the ECU out of the cowl and swapping the PROMs inside was a PITA, but that is what I had to do.:rolleyes:

I agree a switch via the cruise control button(s) or similar would be a very nifty feature.

bobabbey

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 TDI B5
I have a 05 Passatt with BHW 2.0 TDI.
It has a Rocketchip modification I think RC2.
It won't clear EGR sensor for NYS inspection.
The MAF static setting is at 850, factory is 250. That threshhold seems to be defeating the EGR function enough so it wont clear.
How do I get in to change the MAF setting with the VCDS?
It asks for a passcode. Who can share the passcode with me?
Thanks,
Bob

FrankenAudi

TDI
01 Audi Quattro Allroad 6Mt.
Any updates or ideas ,i don't want to go to a tuner to change it back and forth from winter tune to summer ,The tuner is Doman8 , it looks like getting 2nd ECU that matches original ECU .

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
google "edc15 multimap"
you switch maps by fiddling with the cruise control button and the clutch pedal

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
Search "multimap edc15" in youtube. We're few guys having this, it's a ECU flash using the 3 softcoding of your ECU.
When pushing clutch pedal + "set" button of cruise control, the ecu switchs from map 1 to 2, then 3 and so on. The auto gearbox line of the fis/mfa screen is enabled and show you which map you're using. (It's not written PRND but 12345 and just 123 are used because of the 3 differents softcodings)

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM

FrankenAudi

TDI
Thks keaton ,yes 2 earlier post has similar idea just different EEprom Chips ,, i will need steady hands ,Third hand Magnify glass , good soldering . Thks for info guys.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
Thks keaton ,yes 2 earlier post has similar idea just different EEprom Chips ,, i will need steady hands ,Third hand Magnify glass , good soldering . Thks for info guys.

these ECUs use FLASH chips. flash an EEPROMs are not the same thing. there is also different types of flash that use different addressing schemes.

FrankenAudi

TDI
Thanks for tips,, i haven't fully read thru any of the detailed posts , but good info ! Many Thks.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Search "multimap edc15" in youtube. We're few guys having this, it's a ECU flash using the 3 softcoding of your ECU.
When pushing clutch pedal + "set" button of cruise control, the ecu switchs from map 1 to 2, then 3 and so on. The auto gearbox line of the fis/mfa screen is enabled and show you which map you're using. (It's not written PRND but 12345 and just 123 are used because of the 3 differents softcodings)
Ok, so how would this work on an automatic-equipped car that doesn't have a clutch? Rig up a button wired to the clutch switch wires or something?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
You can use 2mg eprom chip and cut a trace and add switch to access hi or lo memory. simply write both tunes together in one file. key off to switch or it can corrupt eeprom during hot switching. did this 15 yrs ago. I also made several versions of daughter board that allows hot switching on the fly. Made 6 tunes in one ecu. Don't know why anyone needs this. Don't ask me how I don't want bothered with this, one good tune is all you need. I posted many times about this how-to, and only useful when cheating in competition. Flip heater switch for different tunes, or seatbelt off is stock for tech insp or dyno, and seatbelt on gives max tune for race time.

Jeff ;-))

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I love the 6 switchable tunes on my truck. The high idle tune is great, and the stock tune is good if someone wants to borrow it. The tow tune probably gets the most use.

FrankenAudi

TDI
I love the 6 switchable tunes on my truck. The high idle tune is great, and the stock tune is good if someone wants to borrow it. The tow tune probably gets the most use.
I really Need a Road Rage tune with auto detect engine Governor !Loonie tunes that piss me off .:D :eek::D

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
Ok, so how would this work on an automatic-equipped car that doesn't have a clutch? Rig up a button wired to the clutch switch wires or something?
I asked my tuners. They didn't develop it for auto gearbox (mk4 automatic are pretty uncommon here) but it "could be" possible with the kick down. not sure sorry

nihalot

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi ALH
Accelerator plus brake pedal combination is one obvious one for Auto transmissions