Anybody buyback their own TDI?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Ask those who crashed theirs or had an accident. Then had VW refuse them and had to settle for a way lesser amount from insurance. The difference between turning it in early and later isn't great enough to cover the risk of loss if involved in an accident.

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
Ask those who crashed theirs or had an accident. Then had VW refuse them and had to settle for a way lesser amount from insurance. The difference between turning it in early and later isn't great enough to cover the risk of loss if involved in an accident.
Those of us who basically had a "free lease" on our cars for over two years would disagree. :cool: While I'm happy to gotten paid back in full on a car I owned for five years, I also miss the more carefree approach I was able to have with a car that I never had to stress about the little things on. I actually made more money back by keeping the car longer!

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
It's true that this was bad for those planned to keep their cars until late in the game and then crashed them. But that was a very, very, small percentage of even the people that kept their cars.

And further, even if you crashed your car, you only had an issue if it was totaled. And even then, not always an issue.

You're making this out to be a much bigger deal than it was for the vast majority of owners.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am just saying there was a risk and some people are risk adverse. They don't want to take the chance. You never know who or how many it will affect until afterwards and then it is too late. After the fact it is always easy to call the winner.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta

Not sure about the US agreement, but in Canada we would still get the "fix" money if the car was written off or became manually inoperable.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't think it was that way in the US. You either got the buyback or the fix or nothing. If you got the fix you got 2/3 after part 1 and 1/3 after part 2.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I completely agree. I just turned mine in a couple of weeks ago. 5½ years of ownership, 95k miles, zero depreciation. Actually, when you count the $1,000 debit cards and the Bosch settlement, I made money driving the car for 5½ years and 95k miles.
I've turned in two and have yet to hear a peep out of Bosch.

If my impression from posts made on other threads is correct, Bosch will contact me at some point after the BB is completed. My first one was complete in early summer.

JCG57

TDI
'09 Jetta
I sold my Jetta to VW in July and have heard nothing from Bosch yet. Bought an Avalon which is a much nicer car and with the current spread between regular and diesel am loving my new ride even more.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
Bosch took a few months to get a check to me. I would follow up if you have not seen it by mid month.

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
I don't think it was that way in the US. You either got the buyback or the fix or nothing. If you got the fix you got 2/3 after part 1 and 1/3 after part 2.
There is a provision in the US 2.0L settlement for an eligible owner to receive restitution (but not buyback value) for a totaled vehicle that was transferred to an insurance company after Sept. 16, 2016 assuming it was operable on June 28, 2016.

That reduces the risk from being totaled (vs. early buyback) significantly, since you'd get insurance payout plus restitution (minimum $5100).

JoshMcMadMac

TDI
NMS Passat SE
I've turned in two and have yet to hear a peep out of Bosch.

If my impression from posts made on other threads is correct, Bosch will contact me at some point after the BB is completed. My first one was complete in early summer.
I sold my Jetta to VW in July and have heard nothing from Bosch yet. Bought an Avalon which is a much nicer car and with the current spread between regular and diesel am loving my new ride even more.
You should automatically get a $350 (it's more for Audi) check from Bosch after the buyback. I did my buyback at the end of October and had the Bosch check one month later. You definitely want to follow up!

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
I received the Bosch check for my recent buyback less than a month after turning it in. Nothing from my first buyback earlier this year.

Last edited:

SC-TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta - Twice Owned
I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new. It had 8 miles more than the Jan. 2017 turn-in mileage. With 49K easy commute miles, no scratches and looking brand new inside and out, I lamented the turn-in but couldn't refuse the buyback offer.

I Googled the VIN on a whim one Sunday and quickly located the VW dealership in Chicago where it had been posted for 4 days. I did some research on retrofit/mileage/performance impact, checked comparable used '14 prices and called the dealer Mon. They confirmed the condition with pictures by Wed., I gave a deposit and flew to Chicago Sat. morning. The dealership did the exhaust retrofit and my requested oil change beforehand. The salesman met me at the downtown L-station in my still-pristine Jetta. VW had the retrofit certification, extended warranty info. and offered special finance terms specific to used TDIs.

This is my second Jetta TDI and I liked it much better than the '04. I could feel a slight difference the first few days I drove it (as others have mentioned) but it still drives great like before and only 1-2mpg less than before. I'm happy to own my TDI again, and it's likely the last one I'll own, but I hope to keep it a long time. I'd enjoy hearing from others who repurchased their original TDI.

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new. It had 8 miles more than the Jan. 2017 turn-in mileage. With 49K easy commute miles, no scratches and looking brand new inside and out, I lamented the turn-in but couldn't refuse the buyback offer.
I Googled the VIN on a whim one Sunday and quickly located the VW dealership in Chicago where it had been posted for 4 days. I did some research on retrofit/mileage/performance impact, checked comparable used '14 prices and called the dealer Mon. They confirmed the condition with pictures by Wed., I gave a deposit and flew to Chicago Sat. morning. The dealership did the exhaust retrofit and my requested oil change beforehand. The salesman met me at the downtown L-station in my still-pristine Jetta. VW had the retrofit certification, extended warranty info. and offered special finance terms specific to used TDIs.
This is my second Jetta TDI and I liked it much better than the '04. I could feel a slight difference the first few days I drove it (as others have mentioned) but it still drives great like before and only 1-2mpg less than before. I'm happy to own my TDI again, and it's likely the last one I'll own, but I hope to keep it a long time. I'd enjoy hearing from others who repurchased their original TDI.
Do you mind sharing if you came out ahead this way vs if you had just done the fix? And possibly by how much roughly? I'd imagine you could come out way ahead selling it back it back and then re-buying it but am not totally sure.

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
I repurchased my same 2014 Jetta TDI from a dealership in Chicago in Aug. 2018 after selling it back to the dealer in SC where I purchased it new.
Congrats!!! This is why I started the thread. I have not replaced my 2013 Passat that I returned in November. Your experience has prompted me to continue the search for my car. I have been considering a new TSI Passat but I can't pull the trigger. I'm concerned that every time I drive the TSI I will be expecting it to respond like the TDI and, ultimately, wind up hating it.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I'd imagine you could come out way ahead selling it back it back and then re-buying it but am not totally sure.
If it was sold as a CPO it would also be better than having just taking the fix money.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
If it was sold as a CPO it would also be better than having just taking the fix money.
Not true. I did a buyback on a 14 jetta wagon and got about $29K for it. Dealer sold it for $13K after the fix. Fix money was lets say $7K. This way I would have pocketed $16K

nucklehead

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI W/DSG
I'd say get your TDI back if you can.

I turned in a near perfect 22k miles 2013 Jetta TDI Premium in late 2016, wish I had asked about getting it back. I bought a 2013 Golf TDI DSG equipped on Dec. 27th 2018 with 26k on the clock. Got a great price on it for being a return customer. I'm beginning to think I bought a load of troubles now.

Some times low mileage doesn't mean much! As of today I've been driving a loaner, a Jetta TSi/DSG, not bad but not my Golf. since Jan. 14th, so the dealer has had my low miles Golf as long as I have. The CEL light came on shortly after heading home from a trip to the dealer so I could put my winter tires on. One of the 100 or so items of the CPO checklist is to make sure that no locking lug bolts are left on the car. They forgot. Which leaves me wondering what else they might have forgotten. Anyway, the dealer took off the locking lug bolts and installed my winter tires, free of charge. Nice. About half way home the CEL came on. I go back to the dealer a few days later so they could read the codes, turned out to be bad news. The EGR was part of that CEL, the other being the DPF which seems to be clogged. So I get new EGR and DPF stuff, and probably a few sensors replaced. But the worst part is it has a bad/bent axle. WHF? And that is why my Golf is still at the dealer, not one replacement axle to be found in the USA! What? I'm hoping they'll get the repairs done soon, I'm tired of driving their billboard car.

At any rate, if your Jetta/Golf has a funny hopping feeling to it in quick (not racing) cornering under acceleration, or even straight line under hard, but not floored, acceleration, check the axles. I did notice on the 20 minute test drive that it seemed kind of weird to have a hopping sensation, but I didn't really notice it until a week or so later, and it seemed to be getting worse. Par for the course here, when the service tech test drove the car he didn't find anything wrong. So I took him along for another test drive, and he then understood what the car was doing. A quick check by a mechanic confirmed there was a problem, a bad axle. So they'll be installing new CV joints too.

Wish I had my old Jetta back, someone got a very nice car.:mad:

Jetta Knight

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Auto - Sold, 2006 Jetta DSG - Sold, 2009 JSW DSG SOLD, 2013 Passat SE DSG
I know this is an ancient thread that I started back in 2018 but, I thought I would update. I purchased a new 2018 Passat TSI, 2.0, SEL trim the end of 2018 after the TDI return. So, I've been living with it for 5 years now. OK, it's not as satisfying as the TDI but it ain't bad. The $$$ returned from the TDI paid the entire price of the new Passat. I have driven it back and forth from PA to FL several times and have averaged 43mpg on these trips. I'm not exaggerating. And the acceleration is shockingly impressive. I still have a year of warranty remaining. Unfortunately, VW dropped the Passat and are on the EV bandwagon so it will probably be my last VW. Nothing they offer interests me in the least now. I've driven the Jetta and simply dont like the car at all. I hope the past 5 years have been good to all of you folks.