Required repair for Emissions Fix

shenvatele

TDI
2011 Audi A3 TDI
I currently have my 14 Q5 TDI at the dealer for the emissions repair work. I just got a call and they said that I have to replace my particulate matter sensor for $568 before they complete the other emissions repairs (my CEL had been coming on intermittently).

I would have thought this part would have been covered under the extended warranty. Has anyone else run into this?

Thanks!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
All codes need to be clear before getting the work done. Get the car back and find someone with VCDS and get the codes cleared. Other tools may also be able to do this. Make sure they don't come back right away. Then take the car in. After the repair these things are covered. There are some work arounds like this to get the codes cleared so the repair can be done. While there get the exact code and name for the part they say needs replaced. Report back here for more help.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Lightflyer’s advice is good. Bear in mind that had you had two chances to NOT have this problem. First was before the fix was rolled out, when a gap warranty was in effect covering emissions. Second would have been having the fix performed soon after rollout. If the code was thrown after the gap warranty ended but before you had the fix done, strictly speaking you are SOL.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The way the original post is written, the vehicle may have been experiencing the CEL after phase 1 was completed.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
The way the original post is written, the vehicle may have been experiencing the CEL after phase 1 was completed.

For the Q5 there was only a one shot fix. OP might have had the light during the gap period (after settlement but before the fix was available) in which case, he/she could have had it done free. If the CEL came on after then, but before OP had the fix performed, he/she is supposed to bear the cost of addressing any issues before having the fix done.

Many were suspicious of the performance hit to the 3.0 liter engine from the fix. They waited and pressed their luck. OP: I hope Audi agrees to fix your problem for free, but I don’t think they are obligated to.

The main sacrifice of the fix seems to be a loss of 5-10% in fuel economy. YMMV

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
OK, I'm not familiar with the details of that settlement but was confused by his statement that they still needed to, "complete the other emissions repairs." "Other" implies some work has already been done to it.

I'm not disputing just wondering if any other work has been done to his car and what it was.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have read before where they started the repair, then found the "issue", then couldn't finish the repair due to the "issue". They then wanted payment before finishing. Kind of got you over the barrel at that point. I would tell them to revert everything and I would get it fixed. Then proceed to investigate how to clear the codes and or do it somewhere else cheaper if possible.

But the exact codes and part name/number would greatly help here.