Steering Angle sensor help...

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Hi, new here. I do most all my own mechanical work. I was given a PD 04' Jetta Wagon by my parents. They shipped it from up north and I received it yesterday. They has the steering angle sensor light come on and their local mechanic diagnosed it.

Is there any tutorial on the TDIclub here on how to replace it? Including the calibration of the sensor?

What does this sensor affect? It's purpose? Airbag related or something?

Thank you!

How long till I can post an attachment as a new member? I have their mechanic's report I'd like to post here.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did they have the steering rack replaced? Or the steering wheel removed for some reason?
Do you have any idea why the sensor came on? On my 05 the steering angle sensor isn't a separate light on the dash it's part of the abs system. What lights are lit on your dash? To diagnose a steering angle sensor the mechanic would have had to use a VCDS , do you know if that was the case, or did he just guess?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Put this in your favorite interweb search engine:
steering angle sensor site:forums.tdiclub.com

You should be able to post attachments right away.
There is a link in my signature, but basically you need to go to http://pics.tdiclub.com/, log in again, upload your stuff, get the URL to post in your thread.

Welcome to TDI Club!

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Isn't the clock spring considered the steering angle sensor?

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Last edited:

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
TDIjarhead-Thank you for the advice. I don't know any one with one here. I'm new on the forum too so don't know any local members if any. I can ask the shop how much it is to reset, but I would of hoped if the shop my dad took it to with prior good results (in CT) would of suggested it.

They listed the part at $540.

Is that the VW OEM price or something? I see these on ebay (Chinese I'm thinking)for less than $90?

Is the steering angle sensor the SAME as the clock spring?

I have an idea what the clock spring does, but no clue what a "steering angle sensor" is or does if it is different....

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
there is a thread of people with vag com's. Also, if you put it in your location, or atleast mention it someone might notice if they are close

also if you want to report something (a picture) just use picpaste, imgur, imageshack, tinypic.. and put the link in the thread

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had to get a clockspring for my 05. I found a used one from a wrecker on eBay. It's not a good idea to buy that Chinese knockoff stuff. If your vehicle has esp then the clockspring is different form vehicles without the ESP feature.

Now that you ask if the clockspring and the steering angle sensor are the same, I'm not absolutely certain. I think they are separate, when I had mine apart I don't think that the sensor was part of the clockspring. Idparts has a new clockspring for a 04-05. To be certain it will fit your car you will have to match up,the part numbers.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1289

Unless damage was done to the steering wheel or steering rack, I don't think you will need to replace either of those items. The vagcom locater at the top of the page is a good place to start as has been suggested, or start a new thread asking if there is anyone in your area that has one and could lend a hand. Find someone with a VCDS and attempt to reset/calibrate it before you spend hundreds of dollars on a new one.

After I swapped out my steering rack I had to reset mine, those same lights were lit on my dash as you describe.

flan

Veteran Member
TDI
04 tdi jetta
if your car has the traction control (ESP button on dash) the clockspring price is triple from those without. My clocksping is internally broken, Symptoms my horn dosent work, Airbag light is on and the spin control light is on like you have. If the sensor alone is out of adjustment that may be able to be reset like others have suggested. Im 98% sure the Steering angle sensor is built into the clockspring module itself.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
What does this sensor do?
The "clockspring" is a nickname for a device that ensures the airbag in the steering wheel gets a good electrical connection.

On a car without a steering wheel airbag, the electrical connection to the horn would be just two pieces of copper sliding past one another. This works fine for a horn, but for a safety system like the airbag you need a more reliable connection.

Enter the "clockspring". it sits under the steering wheel. Inside, it's just a flat ribbon cable wound around the plastic case. This allows the electrical connection to remain solid while the wheel rotate. The would up cable looks somewhat like a clockspring, hence the nickname.

Here is the inside of one:

If you have ESP, the clockspring also includes a "steering angle sensor". This sensor reports to the ABS pump (where the ESP software is located) on the angle of the steering wheel. The ESP uses this info along with other sensor info (brake pressure, speed, rpm, throttle position, lateral G and yaw rate) to decide if the car is understeering or oversteering. If so, the ABS pump applies brakes to one or more wheels to help minimize the under/oversteer.

I'd look on eBay for a used one, no way I'd pay $500+ for one.
The ESP and non-ESP clocksprings can be told apart by looking at them. Non-ESP is round like doughnut (like the one listed on IDParts), the ESP one is rectangular. Here is the cheapest one currently on eBay at $70, you can see the difference in shape:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLOCK-SPRIN...s=Make:Volkswagen&hash=item1c50b1f7cc&vxp=mtr

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Wow, freaking awesome replies guys...

Flan-my VW just came from CT, funny.

My horn works, no ABS light on, just the spin control one.

My ESP button does not work. I press it, no light on the button itself or the dash. I guess it's a good/bad thing I have it.

I think I'll try and call Dad and see if they replaced any steering stuff lately. Next step may be find someone on the TDIC if they are close and willing to help me for a six (pack that is,lol) to try and reset it. But if if failed due to age, not sure if I want to put one in used, that same year. Might have to do that job twice if it breaks too. Is this a commonly bad part on these? I'll go over the records tomorrow and see if anything (steering wise) was replaced.

***EDIT*** I checked Florida, in the locator. One one person and they are on the other side of the state (2-3 hours away it seems). I might have to just buy my own or pay the shop to do it (the calibration that is). I'd still put the sensor in myself to save some cash at least.

Killer input, that you so much. I feel really welcome here...

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
The reason "steering angle sensor" is so expensive is because the sensor is integrated into the clock spring and it has a computer attached to it. The steering angle sensor reading is communicated through that computer through the data bus.

If its failed you have to bite the bullet and order it. Used is difficult to impossible to get because salvage yards wont know if the car is equipped with esp or not.

There is some diagnosis necessary to know for sure that its failed though. If your guy isn't real sharp and he's wrong then you could buy that expensive thing for nothing.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
If its failed you have to bite the bullet and order it. Used is difficult to impossible to get because salvage yards wont know if the car is equipped with esp or not.
A good yard should know that based on the cars info, because it matters for them selling abs modules etc. Also, just go ask them if the button is on the dash. Or go to a u-pull it place and look around yourself.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Is this a commonly bad part for VW's?

Is buying a used one advisable or likely to fail too?

I am going to try to have my local shop check it to verify if it is really bad.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No they are not a common fail item. That's why I asked if someone had done some work on your steering system. There is some stupid stuff you can do that will cause a problem. The link racertodd gave looked like a fair deal. As with any used part and even some new ones you take a chance when you buy one.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I went throughout the 1.5" thick stack of records. No steering components replaced. I'll call my local shop to see what they charge to diagnose the steering angle light.

I confirmed on Autozones website the malfunction light is the ESP light. Not saying that it isn't related to the steering angle sensor as the mechanic my Dad used said. But I really want a second opinion now.

Does the steering angle sensor have anything to do with the esp system?

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, the steering angle sensor helps the car understand if you're going straight/turning etc, so it is related to ABS as well as ESP systems.

Yep the angle sensor most definitely is part of the ESP system.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Is this a commonly bad part for VW's?
Is buying a used one advisable or likely to fail too?
I am going to try to have my local shop check it to verify if it is really bad.
Do you know how to remove the airbag? First thing I would try is to buy some deoxit spray by craig, take the airbag off and spray the clock spring connector.

See if that does anything before you replace it.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....3&sa=X&ei=u7ZDVdHMJMSVNr3ogOAC&ved=0CIIBELkk

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I bought a used clock spring on e-bay a few years ago. No problem since. A cable tie was used by the vendor to keep it locked in place until I installed it.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Good advice all. I bought the VCDS License with KII-USB Unlimited VIN, figured I'd have to recalibrate the sensor anyways. The guy that answer the phone said what you said, to try and recalibrate the one I have first,before I buy one. That and my local German repair shop charges $110 just to diagnose a code, I figured its a good investment.

He did however (the Ross-tech guy) say the steering angle sensor failing questions is a relatively common question he gets. That makes me thing maybe I should try new and be done with it.

But before I do that, I'll pull mine, inspect it and spray it with that contact cleaner you recommend Tongsli (wow it has a lot of great reviews!). Then I'll try and recalibrate it.

JB05, good to hear your used one is still working a few years later. I may still entertain a used one if mine is screwed after all!

I have to find a free online manual or write up on how to remove the sensor...

Last edited:

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Yes, the steering angle sensor helps the car understand if you're going straight/turning etc, so it is related to ABS as well as ESP systems.
Actually, it's only used for ESP. Cars with plain ABS or ABS+ASR (traction control) do not have the steering angle sensor. Only ESP-equipped cars have it.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Thank you Tongsli! That is awesome!

I read my owners manual. It talks about ESP and ASR. What is the difference between them? The manual doesn't really explain it clear enough for me?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Thank you Tongsli! That is awesome!
I read my owners manual. It talks about ESP and ASR. What is the difference between them? The manual doesn't really explain it clear enough for me?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=356657&postcount=6

From SVTWEB's post:

ASR: It uses the front brakes to slow down the wheel that is turning faster, thereby transfering tourque to the wheel that is not spinning as fast.

ESP: uses all 4 brakes to correct for mild over/under steer.

That's why ESP needs the steering angle sensor and Yaw rate sensor

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
A good yard should know that based on the cars info, because it matters for them selling abs modules etc. Also, just go ask them if the button is on the dash. Or go to a u-pull it place and look around yourself.
spoken like someone who has never needed one. I got two non-esp from one yard before they decided to give me my money back.

None of the other yards that I talked to even wanted to try. And no they wouldn't walk out to see if their cars had a ESP button. Most of the ones I found that salvage yard said they had one it was "on the shelf" and the car had been long crushed.

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
CoolairVw-

Can I do the sensor replacement, and then drive to a deserted long straight road to start the calibration set-up with my vagcom?

I'm in an apartment complex, and I don't think there is enough of a "straight a way" to do the part of the recalibration where you have to drive straight AFTER replacing the sensor.

Basically I want to know if you can calibrate it after the fact...

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
You don't need a long straight to calibrate the sensor. You drive a "short distance" at less than 20 kph (12mph). Easily done in a parking lot.

Here is the whole procedure:

* Start the vehicle.
* Turn the steering wheel one turn to the right and one turn to the left.
* Drive in a short distance straight line on a level surface at a speed not higher than 20 km/h.
* If the steering wheel is straight during the test drive then stop the vehicle with the wheels
pointed straight
* Ensure that the steering wheel is not moved again.
* Keep the engine running and do not switch off the ignition.

[Select]
[03 - ABS Brakes]
[Login - 11]

Enter 40168
[Do It!]
[Basic Settings - 04]

Group 060
[Go!]
Activate the Basic Setting.
[ON/OFF/Next]
After a successful basic setting, field 2 should say "OK".
[Done, Go Back]
To make sure the basic setting was successful, check the sensor again.
[Measuring Blocks - 08]
Group 004
[Go!]
Check field 1, the value has to be between -4.5 and +4.5 °.
[Done, Go Back]
[Close Controller, Go Back - 06]

This will store the zero (centered) position of the steering wheel. There should be a displayed message that reads: "Steer. angle sender compens OK". If you get an error, it may mean the Login was not successfully performed.

Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.