www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old February 19th, 2019, 20:09   #1
Chad.

Default MK5 BRM Engine Harness Replacement

Hello curious if anyone has any advice on replacing a BRM engine harness? I have a 2006 Jetta TDI Manual that has been acting up. A few months ago the cam sensor wire failed resulting in long starts so I just ran a new wire and spliced it in all the way to the 60 pin connector at the ECM.

Well that bought me a few months but a couple days ago the engine just died while driving. I coasted to the side of the road waited a hour and thankfully it started. Hook up the VCDS pulled this code.
1 Fault Found:
005731 - Control Circuit for PD Injectors
P1663 - 000 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Makes sense the injectors wires are located in the same harness. Anyways attempted to pull the engine harness out because multiple wires are chewed up where it chaffed against the plastic shielding near the starter under the air filter box. VW really dropped the ball when they engineered this mess.

To my question what would be the easiest way to disconnect the crankshaft speed sensor? its in a really tight spot. Also it gets really tight around the tandem pump area. I really would like to avoid removing coolant hoses if possible thanks.
Chad. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 03:57   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

I've done a lot of these.

First, make sure you can actually GET a new harness. Some are NLA. There are a few different ones for the BRM, but basically it distills down to early or late, manual or automatic.

Early has the glow plug circuits in their own connector back behind the left headlamp, late has those circuits integrated into another connector down lower towards the radiator.

Manual has the starter signal wire included, automatics do not (that wire is part of the transmission harness on those).

Get a new water flange (comes with a seal) on the head. It is MUCH easier to get the harness swapped with this removed, and you won't want to reuse it as they rarely ever seal properly again. You'll also need the o-ring for the sensor in the flange.

Good time to replace the tandem pump gasket too, and if there are any signs of fuel leak, the pump itself.

I use a cotter pin removal tool and a long screwdriver to remove the CKP sensor connector. Use the screwdriver to gently push the connector ON, then use the pick to gently pull back the release, then pull the connector off. Study the new one to see how it works (it is the same basic type most of the connectors on the car are). Removal of the oil pressure sensor (the connector has to come off anyway, as that is part of the harness) will make seeing down in there easier. I've never had to remove the oil filter stand to gain access.

Pay attention to the routing, it only fits properly one way. Take pictures if you need to. Not a hard job, just tedious. Take your time and be patient with getting it back in properly.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:50   #3
Chad.

Thanks oilhammer that's the info I was looking for. Well I have the time so I am going to remove the harness and try and repair it. I'll go through the entire wire harness splicing some new wires with heat shrink butt connectors where its needed then wrap it in friction tape. I just refuse to pay the $750 cdn the stealership wants for a new wiring harness.

Learning these MK5 TDI Jettas are pretty pricy to maintain properly, If I wasn't mechanically inclined I'd probably want to burn it by now.
Chad. is offline   Reply With Quote