Cheap PD cams and Good PD cams... both available at kermaTDI

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
We are running a TDIclub special for the Colt Billet Stage 1 Cam for PD engines We will run this special until June 15, 2011

$999 for a PD Camshaft Install Kit with new Genuine Colt Cam PD Stage 1 Billet Cam

2 Year Unlimited Mileage Warranty

This will include all the parts needed:
-upgraded black lifters,
-bearings,
-bolts,
-seals,
-gaskets

Or, you can save $300 and get the cheap 'OEM' cam and install kit from kerma for $699

Do we recommend the less expensive cam?

No, not at all.

But if you want to get it the 'OEM' PD cam and install kit, our price for the kit is much lower than anywhere else I've seen on the net , for the same parts

My thinking is why buy anything less than the best cam available?

Put a great cam in and be done with it!

The Colt Cam is an upgrade over the Genuine VW Cam...and costs no more than the Genuine VW Cam.

And the new Genuine Colt Cam PD Billet in Stage 1 or Stage 2 will run smoother, add power, and will fix the problems with PD camshafts with:
- better cam lobe design,
-better hardening
-and the correct metallurgy and correct billet blank

kermaTDI is proud to be the exclusive U.S. Colt Cam Distributor

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
Just had to overnight a Colt Billet Cam to replace one of the 'OEM' PD cams After only 4000 miles of service the 'OEM' PD cam had one cam lobe fail completely.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
Just had to overnight a Colt Billet Cam to replace one of the 'OEM' PD cams After only 4000 miles of service the 'OEM' PD cam had one cam lobe fail completely.

Please view this post as one from a consumer, and not a vendor. I am not, and probably never will sell engine parts.

How is this possible? I would expect to see a post like this regarding a prothe cam, not a "OEM" cam coming from your company.

When I think of Kerma, I think of quality, performance, and on the higher end of aftermarket $$.

Are you going to continue to sell these cams? Is this a 1 in a 1,000,000 incident? Why are new "OEM" cams breaking?

Is this the same thing that is happening with your cams?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=313987

Last edited:

VWDAVID

Veteran Member
TDI
02 golf tdi
This cheap oem cam is it in deed a oem cam or one of the chilled cast cams? If it is oem equipment I dont see how this is possible.

VailPowder

TDI
Please view this post as one from a consumer, and not a vendor. I am not, and probably never will sell engine parts.

How is this possible? I would expect to see a post like this regarding a prothe cam, not a "OEM" cam coming from your company.

When I think of Kerma, I think of quality, performance, and on the higher end of aftermarket $$.

Are you going to continue to sell these cams? Is this a 1 in a 1,000,000 incident? Why are new "OEM" cams breaking?

Is this the same thing that is happening with your cams?
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=313987

This cam did not come from us, and the cam did not come from Prothe. This is not the first PD cam replacement that failed quickly.

This cam problem is why we are the exclusive US VW Colt Cam Distributor and sell the new from Billet Colt Cams for PD engines.

Other cams and cam blanks do not have the required metallurgy and engineering to work properly. The market is flooded with these substandard cams ... and if you read my post above I state that we do NOT recommend them.

We recommend only the Colt Billet Cams...

-not regrinds,
-not copies of Colt Cams,
-not counterfeits,
-and not 'OEM' PD cams

We've spent a lot of time and money bringing these quality cams to market.

We have worked hard to make great product, just as we have done with Genuine Bosio Nozzles and our Injector Calibration / Hot Swap program

All the best
Paul

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
This cheap oem cam is it in deed a oem cam or one of the chilled cast cams? If it is oem equipment I dont see how this is possible.
The PD cams that we know have failed so quickly are not Genuine VW PD camshafts

They are one of the cams made in the European Union.

When we looked at these cams.. the metallurgy was substandard.

The price is attractive, but not the build quality.

The Genuine VW PD camshafts are fine... but they cost as much or more than the Colt Billet PD cams and they still have the same design problems that caused them to fail over time [ but after many tens of thousands of miles or over 100 K ... even with the VW specified 505.01 approved oil ]

The Colt Billet PD cams are of equal or higher quality and offer some significant performance gains , and Colt Billet cams address the design issues that frequently caused PD cam failures with the genuine VW camshaft.

These EU / 'OEM' / 'OEM quality camshafts' that are failing so quickly are not Genuine VW camshafts.

Geniune VW PD camshafts are good.. and I think the new Colt Cam Billet Stage 1 and Stage 2 PD cams are better.

Cheap PD cams are not good enough IMHO. I hope this clears things up. :D

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
The PD cams that we know have failed so quickly are not Genuine VW PD camshafts
The price is attractive, but not the build quality.
These EU / 'OEM' / 'OEM quality camshafts' that are failing so quickly are not Genuine VW camshafts.
Cheap PD cams are not good enough IMHO. I hope this clears things up. :D
Actually this does clear up a lot. This is the first time that I have seen you post,
"OEM quality camshafts"
even though you know explicitly well that they are not in fact, "OEM quality".
In addition to that, when you post
Or, you can save $300 and get the cheap 'OEM' cam and install kit from kerma for $699
until now I have been under the impression that these were in fact OEM cams and would be stamped from VW.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer
Original Equipment Manufacturer - An original equipment manufacturer, or OEM, manufactures products or components that are purchased by a company and retailed under that purchasing company's brand name.[ref 1] OEM refers to the company that originally manufactured the product. When referring to automotive parts, OEM designates a replacement part made by the manufacturer of the original part.[1]
One of my bew's has 215,000 miles on the original OEM cam, the other bew has 249,000 miles, as a consumer, I am very much your target audience for an OEM cam, or a Colt cam, but I very, very much disagree with knowingly labeling a lousy aftermarket cam as one that is OEM, or "OEM quality".:cool:

Last edited:

VailPowder

TDI
My attempt to convey that I do not feel that these are OEM cams by calling them cheap 'OEM' cams needed more clarification .

I meant to indicate that others implied 'OEM' or 'OEM Quality' ....and not that these are Genuine VW PD Camshafts

This was intended as a Scare Quote...or Sneer Quote:D

I am also saying : I do not recommend buying any PD cam unless it is a Genuine VW PD camshaft or a Genuine Colt Cams Billet PD camshaft [from kermaTDI or our authorized dealers]

Yes, I can sell these cheap 'OEM' cams as well..and for less money

And NO, I have never sold one of these cheap 'OEM' Non Genuine VW PD / Non Genuine Colt Cam PD cams ...they failed testing and are not even eligble for regrinding.

I can not see why anyone would sell them or why anyone would buy anything less than the best or correct product... but if someone must buy a cheap 'OEM' cam and not the cams we recommend ....then buy them kermaTDI for less money.

If the cam fails, we will say " That is why we DID NOT recommend this cam and strongly advocated that you purchase a VW or Colt cam "

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scare_quotes

Negative
The effect of using scare quotes is often similar to prepending a skeptical modifier such as so-called or alleged to label the quoted word or phrase, to indicate scorn, sarcasm, or irony.[7] Scare quotes may be used to express disagreement with the original speaker's intended meaning without actually establishing grounds for disagreement or disdain, or without even explicitly acknowledging it. In this type of usage, they are sometimes called "sneer quotes".

Examples:
  • Liberal: We've heard about these conservatives and their tax "relief".
  • Conservative: The liberals have proposed yet another form of "common-sense" gun control.
As political analyst Jonathan Chait writes in The New Republic, "The scare quote is the perfect device for making an insinuation without proving it, or even necessarily making clear what you're insinuating."[8]

Actually this does clear up a lot. This is the first time that I have seen you post, even though you know explicitly well that they are not in fact, "OEM quality".
In addition to that, when you post until now I have been under the impression that these were in fact OEM cams and would be stamped from VW.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_equipment_manufacturer

One of my bew's has 215,000 miles on the original OEM cam, the other bew has 249,000 miles, as a consumer, I am very much your target audience for an OEM cam, or a Colt cam, but I very, very much disagree with knowingly labeling a lousy aftermarket cam as one that is OEM, or "OEM quality".:cool:

Last edited:

AARodriguez Corp.

TDI
Yes, I can sell these cheap 'OEM' cams as well..and for less money

And NO, I have never sold one of these cheap 'OEM' Non Genuine VW PD / Non Genuine Colt Cam PD cams ...they failed testing and are not even eligble for regrinding.

If the cam fails, we will say " That is why we DID NOT recommend this cam and strongly advocated that you purchase a VW or Colt cam "

I'm confused... I know you sell the good Colt cams (I do plan on upgrading my cam, intake and turbo) , but do you sell the "oem inspired"... disposable cams or not?:confused:

Last edited:

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Are the cheap "OEM" cams that you are referring to Estas or Febi brand? Or are they some of those cheap chilled cast iron cams floating around?

Thanks

VailPowder

TDI
Are the cheap "OEM" cams that you are referring to Estas or Febi brand? Or are they some of those cheap chilled cast iron cams floating around?

Thanks
Might be = D all of the above

.....I just replace them. My customers and I don't have time for flavor of the week cams or nozzles. I just stick with Genuine Bosio Nozzles, Genuine Shine Suspension, Genuine Southbend Clutches and Genuine Colt Billet Cams

There are too many copies, counterfeits, el cheapo, and mythology products. I stick with real products direct from real factories...and I can show pictures of the factories where the Genuine products are made.

Have a great weekend!
Paul

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
I think it would help if people understood what OEM vs OE means.

OEM = squat. just means it will fit your vehicle. Think prothe.. It could also be a very good part. Reputation is key here.

OE = the same part, same manufacturer as the original and is most likely branded the same as the original.

OES "supplier" is another term that can't always be trusted. Depends on the supplier and what their source is and if it has changed.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Just my .02 here Paul but I don't think the "cheap" cam should even be offered by KermaTDI. You're just opening the door to failure with that product attached to your company name.

VailPowder

TDI
Just my .02 here Paul but I don't think the "cheap" cam should even be offered by KermaTDI. You're just opening the door to failure with that product attached to your company name.
I agree with you 100%!

My post is intended to say just that : don't buy junk... but it seems that maybe my style of humor is a bit confusing.

I'm really saying that there's some real garbage being sold... the hype sounds good...but the product is mostly pretty words and hype.

My attempt to be humorous is to say........ if you are going to buy cheap junk....at least don't pay top dollar :D

I try my best to emphasize the value of Genuine name brand products from real manufacturers with real factories....

BUT...

If after all that someone is going to buy:

- mythology product,
-chinesium,
-counterfeits,
-clones ,
-or a product which is inferior

Then at least pay the right price!

Cheap nozzles are worth $3 to $5 per nozzle...don't pay $25 to $70 / nozzle

Same with inferior cams...if someone won't buy a Genuine Billet Colt Cam, at least pay the lowest price for lousy cams.

Now it is meant with some humor...

I have NEVER sold:

-a bad or inferior camshaft
-a Chinese Nozzle
-a counterfeit Bosio nozzle
-a counterfeit Bosch nozzle
-a counterfeit Shine suspension component
-a repainted or copy of a Southbend clutch
-timing belt kits that are garbage and destroy engines

We work hard with real manufacturers, who have real factories, to develop and provide good products to the community.

So, my offer to sell the cheap camshafts that are flooding the market for the best price is a bit of fun...I have never sold one. If I did I'd probably tell the customer 5 times :

"These cams are junk"
"These cams are radioactive"
and maybe toss in a " Are you out of your friggin mind?":D

Last edited: