ESP Error

Jackiechan005

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
On cold starts when it takes a little longer to turn over, I get a message on the MFD,"ESP error" as the engine turns over and it beeps. The engine turns over and the message goes away. Not sure what the ESP has to do with starting the engine. Any thoughts?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Corroded ECM wires? Do you live down wind of a salt factory? I seriously doubt you have corroded wires on such a new car.

Are you still under warranty? If so, get it to a dealer and have them scan it. It could be a sensor problem.

How cold is it for these cold starts? Any issues on warm/hot restarts? Your more likely culprit is a weak battery. Despite the car being so new, there have been '09 TDI owners who had to replace their batteries when the car was still fairly young.

T D I

TDI
2010 TDI Highline
Just had the exact same thing happen to my 2010 Jetta TDI last week, but after 25 cranks I got it running... It's been a year since the original message was posted, has anyone encountered this problem before? Any suggestions?
Thanks,
D.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
ESP uses ABS controler, a yaw sensor, and a sensor on the steering rack. My guess is the steering rack sensor may be loosing continuity when shaking/cranking over. Not sure where the sensor is located but would be worth a try locating it and double checking the connection.

T D I

TDI
2010 TDI Highline
It was an iced up inter cooler, dealer quoted me over $1500 for a kit to fix their design flaw since my warranty ended 4000 km ago... Thanks for the tip MayorDJQ... After the numerous problems with this car - from check engine light leading to glow plug sensor replacement, to the recent fuel line recall and replacing several door latches, this might be the last nail in the coffin of me leaving the brand...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
It was an iced up inter cooler, dealer quoted me over $1500 for a kit to fix their design flaw since my warranty ended 4000 km ago... Thanks for the tip MayorDJQ... After the numerous problems with this car - from check engine light leading to glow plug sensor replacement, to the recent fuel line recall and replacing several door latches, this might be the last nail in the coffin of me leaving the brand...
I hear ya. I would go back to an ALH TDI in a heartbeat if I could find a decent one that didn't have a ridiculous price tag on it. Another idea I've been toying with is a Ford Focus. It's rated for 39mph highway and people on Fuelly.com seem to be getting those numbers. My friend and neighbor also happens to work at a Ford dealership, and I can get a discount on Ford, GM, or Crapsler products through my job, since the company has such a large fleet of the Big 3.

The dealer (VW only!) that checked my I/C pipes yesterday played dumb about even knowing there was an ongoing issue. After I asked about the TSB (which I left a printed copy of on the seat) he then admitted that he's gotten "probably 50" calls about people having similar issues and VW is working on a fix. I asked about the already-existing intercooler kit and again he played dumb, but then admitted that he ordered 5 to have on hand but they're on backorder.

My frustration level was high yesterday.

T D I

TDI
2010 TDI Highline
I am waiting to hear about my complaint at VW Canada. Ironically I just this morning paid off a 2011 golf 2.5. After buying two VWs in as many years, I expected to be treated better than this. Especially since this is an existing issue and I am only 4,000 km over warranty.

My next course of action will depend on what their reply is. Another dealer I spoke with reported over a dozen TDIs being found to have ice in there recently.

There are good dealers and bad dealers, I have seen both. Sorry to hear about your VW experience with this. Was considering a Ford as well...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I am waiting to hear about my complaint at VW Canada. Ironically I just this morning paid off a 2011 golf 2.5. After buying two VWs in as many years, I expected to be treated better than this. Especially since this is an existing issue and I am only 4,000 km over warranty.

My next course of action will depend on what their reply is. Another dealer I spoke with reported over a dozen TDIs being found to have ice in there recently.

There are good dealers and bad dealers, I have seen both. Sorry to hear about your VW experience with this. Was considering a Ford as well...
Sue in small claims court. Known defect, etc. Worth a try. More folks should do it. I've had the issue, but when I took the car to the dealer was told "couldn't reproduce the problem". It's documented and you can be sure if it ever happens when the warranty is expired (in about 45,000 more km) I will be pointing to the documentation, and will be suing if they don't fix it. It's my 5th VW, and my wife is starting to think of a replacement for her B5 Passat (230,000 km). If there's going to be a sixth, they'd better step up to the plate.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread. I got the same error, and I'm getting all KINDS of crap in VCDS. In my case, it would say ESP error while I was driving, the car would shut off, and I shifted to neutral and started back up (so as not to cause an accident).

sflier

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2013 Toareg TDI LUX
Sounds like a low battery. I bet the voltage is dropping below a minimum and it sets a warning indicator. That beep also goes off on mine if I forgt to wait for the glowplug light to go out before cranking.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
The dealer is trying to figure out what's going on. Needless to say, I had the car towed about 45 miles to the nearest VW dealer, who is saying that the last dealer did some kind of unauthorized repair, causing the ECM to short out. This leaves me dismayed, because the dealer I purchased the car from replaced the O2 sensor about 3 or 4 times.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Sounds like a low battery. I bet the voltage is dropping below a minimum and it sets a warning indicator. That beep also goes off on mine if I forgt to wait for the glowplug light to go out before cranking.

I like this one.... charge the battery and clean the battery connections.

Bill

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Well, I found the problem. Apparently the dealer I bought the car from decided to patch the O2 cable underneath the car, which ultimately shorted out the ECM. So the dealer I'm at now is working to get VW to replace it based on the problems with the last dealer - they'd need to replace the O2 sensor, the entire wiring harness and the ECM.

woodypup

TDI
MkVI Golf (2010)
Hey OP, are you still experiencing this issue? I've had it happen to me on and off, exactly as you describe. For me, it's always a cold start, either in my garage in the morning, or sometimes around 4-5pm in the parking as I leave for home. I wait for the glow plug to disappear, turn the key, and the car cranks anywhere from 3 seconds up to 6 or 7 seconds. "ESP ERROR" appears in the MFI and a 'ding' sound, and then the car starts. Everything is normal after that.

I can't predict when it happens--doesn't seem to be dependent on ambient temperatures. It has happened in the summer, winter, etc. Occurs about 10% of the time.

I do have video of it: http://youtu.be/1yS4c729Uhg

Last edited:

woodypup

TDI
MkVI Golf (2010)
Also, this week instead of showing ESP ERROR it shows BRAKE ERROR SERVICE NOW!

Disappointing. Are the electronics freaking out?

woodypup

TDI
MkVI Golf (2010)
So, to close on my issue: it was a weak battery. The ESP ERROR and BRAKE ERROR warnings pop up when the battery is low...after a few meters of driving, they go away.

I got a new battery and all is good now.

dimonic

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon
ESP Error - serious problem

In our 3rd month of our 2011 TDI, it happened when driving in a suburban area - engine power died. We had it towed to a dealership, supposedly repaired. Then again at about 6 months - ESP error again. Then this past weekend, it died with ESP error a total of 7 times during the snowstorm. I remember the first time was a drizzly day - so perhaps moisture is a common factor. This morning it was cold and dry, and I drove into work without a stall.

In my case, it takes about 5 minutes before it will start again. In this area it is a significant safety issue what with having one of the busiest stretches of highway in North America as my daily commute. Tow trucks descended on me like vultures each time I drifted to a stop on the shoulder.

I am taking it in tomorrow. It is at 89,000 km, and the warranty is only 80,000. I am going to press the fact that it was supposedly repaired twice for the same fault when under warranty, so this is their problem.

ls6gto

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My Issue Was the OEM Battery

Been having odd MIL codes for awhile (year or so) on start that go away after next start (coil/engine light) like the dreaded iced intercooler, except I'm in Las Vegas...everything stock and only items replaced in since 2010 are regular maintenance items as part of the schedule.

This afternoon got ESP Error (TSC light, coil, steering, and engine light) and car would not start at all, engine tries to turn over. VCDS pops steering sensor code/throttle sensor code. Figured I'd try the most simple thing first - the battery.

Stock battery, hasn't been changed since I bought the vehicle brand new 5 years ago....11.84V at rest (after going shopping this morning with approx. 30 minutes of driving) - not good. Guess I should have checked this myself a year ago instead of relying on the dealership's checkup. Looked like battery had been slowly dying and not holding max charge, should be ~12.4V. Took my bad a** car that has never given me issues for 10 years for spirited drive to Autozone and bought a new battery. Put new battery in, ~12.2V; vehicle started up immediately, measuring ~14.2V while running. After a little drive to clear the steering sensor/ESP error, and getting back home, battery at rest measured 12.45V :).

My guess is that the start up diagnostics are not happy with a voltage drop from the battery prior to engine start...hence the errors.

Last edited:

Idahosnoman

TDI
2010 Jetta
ESP Error & Shift Selector to P/N NO START

So after the Rockies game loss the the Pirates, I had the family in the Jetta and it wouldn't start. Had ESP Error & Shift Selector to P/N. My headlights came on, but sounded very typical of a dead battery. I quickly did a search on the phone and found numerous issues ranging from dead battery to dead ECM etc.:eek:
Long story short, battery is dead. Replaced with new battery ($132 Walmart), and it started right up.:)
What I don't get is that I had no warning of a low or dead battery whatsoever. No hard starts. I got my Jetta in April of 2010, so almost exactly 65 months. So if anyone knows some of the warning signs that I may have missed, please let me know, otherwise I think I will begin having it load tested once a year to keep me from being stranded.
Just glad it wasn't on a trip across Wyoming in the wintertime.