My alh build thread

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Well its a crappy rainy day here and i just got my build done late spring so i figured i would share what i have so far and can then update in the future. Heres a little info on my car
2001 RS jetta tdi 5speed. Bought it back in 08 with 189,000km on it came with eibach lowering springs, diesel power tuning box, evolution skid plate and motegi ff7 wheels (I know.. a little embarrasing but I thought they looked okay back then lol). Kept it like that till about 2010 and did an EGR delete, muffler delete, got some 337 edition BBS RCs, FK streetlines, GLI tails and Joey modded headlights.

Car was left like that till I started my build after my clutch went in Nov '12. The car is now only driven late april to late october. I would say it is now 95% done. And is as follows
Engine.
- stock ALH short block
- ported and polished head with 3 angle valve job, dual valve springs and nitride lifters
- arp head studs
- stage 2 cam
- race 520 injectors with stage 3 calibration
- 11mm injection pump
- PDlift pump
- PD150 intake manifold
- EGR delete (and egr cooler delete) replaced with race pipe
- CCV delete
- 4 Bar map
- custom FMIC with 2" piping
- custom "ram air intake pipe" to airbox (still has to pass snow screen filter first)
- custom OMI (2.5" pipe going from airbox to turbo
- GTB1756VK turbo on AFN manifold
- custom 2.5" turbo back exhaust
- custom KERMA tune
Drivetrain/suspension
- stock 5 speed (no LSD yet)
- Dieselgeek sigma 5 short shifter
- SB stage 2 endurance clutch with 21lb flywheel
- upgraded dogbone (BFI stage 1 mounts this winter probably)
- raxles
- stock brakes with slotted rotors and hawk HPS pads
- FK silver line coilovers with koni yellow rear shocks
- TT control arm bushings
- ECS rear centering plates
Exterior
- OEM votex front and rear bumpers
- R32 4 door rep side skirts (to come over the winter)
- boser hood. Welded on speedtech extension not CF or abs junk (to come over the winter)
- badgeless grille
- custom made retrofits with FXR bi-xenon and dual amber signals
- GLI trunk (debadged)
- GLI tails
- stubby antenna
- klutch republic SL14's 18x8.5 215/40/18 10mm spacer
18x9.5 225/40/18 3mm spacer
Interior
- stock leathers
- full GLI trim kit
- R line 5 speed knob and boot
- R32 pedals and dead plate
- pioneer appradio 2
- new south boost and EGT gauges
- IAT guage in custom vent pod over the headlight switch
- euro switch so I can run just my dual ambers at dawn or dusk
Here's some pics of the progress

Here's a recent pic of how the car currently sits

Last edited:

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Sorry the pics are massive I was just too lazy to resize them all in photobucket. Enjoy though, any feedback or questions let me know thanks!

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Thanks! IMO this is a perfect turbo setup for this engine. Takes a little more custom work to get it all together but makes amazing power, quick spools and I still get 8-900km a tank driving it with a heavy right foot. Still got some fine tuning to do to get all of its potential then I wanna see on a Dyno what numbers it makes. My goal was around 220whp and 380ft/lb

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Found some more pics on my iPhone. A couple from when I was mocking up the FMIC. TDI are a little bit of a PITA to route the pipes. Some things I did to help were.
Notched the bottom lip of the crash bar and plastic radiator shroud to let the intercooler sit as far back as possible so there would be little to no bumper trimming (I'm running a votex so I have a lot more room) but I think I can fit a stock one with no trimming I just couldn't run the side vent covers.

Made some brackets to help hold the intercooler back and firm in place

Relocated the one horn to give room for the IC pipe. Quite easy actually I just took the bracket that holds it off, trimmed a tab to let the horn sit at a different position and then mounted the tab upside down to flip the horn

A couple interior shots (cars a little dirty)

Intake manifold tapped and fitted for my intake air temp guage. Not really a necessity but I wanted to monitor my AITs and see if I was getting any heat soak. My air temps are between 10-15 degrees F above ambient temps. And my EGR delete plate tapped for my EGT probe

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
Just noticed this but are you going to get your hood notch filled? Also did you put mounting brackets on the bottom of you FMIC or was that picture of the top of the FMIC?

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Just noticed this but are you going to get your hood notch filled? Also did you put mounting brackets on the bottom of you FMIC or was that picture of the top of the FMIC?
I'm doing a boser hood. And that was the top of the IC. It's very strong with the 3 brackets so I never felt the need to secure the bottom. Plus there's not much there but plastic radiator cage to try and mount it to

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
Great build. Love seeing other silver Jetta's. Hopefully one day I can tear mine down and rebuild it like this. For now, she is a 650mi/wk DD :rolleyes:

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
What are your thoughts on the 2.5" exhaust? Who's downpipe did you use? I just found out my "2.5" is really a piece mealed exhaust that it's rusted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
What are your thoughts on the 2.5" exhaust? Who's downpipe did you use? I just found out my "2.5" is really a piece mealed exhaust that it's rusted

Whitbread made my down pipe outta stainless then it's mated up to a Kerma 2.5" polished stainless catback. I'm very happy with mine. I was gonna wrap the downpipe to keep the heat in but then decided against it after reading that it could trap moisture and make the pipe rust out

mbatzel

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta
I would love to have a Whitebread DP and would willing fork over the money for one. Love his "J" style design. I don't think he is making them anymore if I remember correctly

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
He will occasionally do it, but he has been really busy at superlight racing. I got lucky and found someone parting with thier full whitbread setup, Turboback exhaust, FMIC,OMI and a couple other parts. Love his craftsmanship.

Back to the topic on the thread, who did the retrofits on the HIDs and where did you get the votex bumpers?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I would make the bottom bar on the front bumper silver.

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I like it better black. I find when votex fronts stay all the same colour it makes it look like the bottom bar sags. Plus my rear votex is plasti dipped black on the insert and I think it suits the black grille and headlights

Electrodynamic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta/Bora TDI
Wow, super nice looking Jetta! I love the front bumper and how you painted the lower middle section of the front and rear bumper black. Very nice. :)

tstdimk4

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Car is for sale for 10k Canadian cash. FIRM on that. That's a steal for what you get. Needs nothing to pass a safety or e test cause everything in essentially brand new

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
i've seen this car in person a couple years ago at the mcd's on ojibway, it's a gorgeous car. i think you noticed me staring like a fool :D

you can't build a car like this for the asking price, it's an absolute steal at that price!