NB Auto-Dimming Mirror

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
Just a question - was the NB ever produced for the USA with the auto-dimming mirror?

I've got a line on one from Germany (looks like it's the one with the hands-free mic, too :D), but wonder... is it worth the shipping? Is it available here?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Yes, autodimming mirrors for NBs are available. Velvetfoot put one in his car several years ago.

KevinR

TDI
None
Nate_Grauvogel said:
Just a question - was the NB ever produced for the USA with the auto-dimming mirror?

I've got a line on one from Germany (looks like it's the one with the hands-free mic, too :D), but wonder... is it worth the shipping? Is it available here?
My wife's '03 NB GLX has the auto-dimming mirror. It does not have the hands-free mic as part of it, and I've never seen one that does. Got a pic?

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
KevinR said:
My wife's '03 NB GLX has the auto-dimming mirror. It does not have the hands-free mic as part of it, and I've never seen one that does. Got a pic?
ETKA says they exist - probably unique to Europe. Here are the pics the seller has up (OK - I give - it's on eBay.de. Seller hasn't replied with the Part#, so I'm not sure on the mic, but looks like it to me):

ETKA also shows different part #'s for Gas vs. Diesel - wonder what the difference is - probably tuned/weighted for vibration damping at TDI or Gas RPMs is my guess. Anybody seen one on a TDI here?

Desired Part #s are:
1c0 857 511 AE - Gas/autodim/mic, 12/02-7/04
1c0 857 511 AD - Gas/autodim/mic, post-8/04

1c0 857 511 AT - Diesel/autodim/mic, 12/02-7/04
1c0 857 511 AS - Diesel/autodim/mic, post-8/04

Any insight on what changed in Aug 04 to the interior (In Europe, that is)?

Thanks for the help so far!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Without the mic, the part # is 1C0857511CY20 (Y20=pearl grey).
Go to www.worldimpex.com and plug in the part #.

As I posted earlier, Velvetfoot did this to his NB years ago. Use the advanced search function for his posts.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
MOGolf said:
Without the mic, the part # is 1C0857511CY20 (Y20=pearl grey).
Go to www.worldimpex.com and plug in the part #.

As I posted earlier, Velvetfoot did this to his NB years ago. Use the advanced search function for his posts.
Thanks for the heads-up, MOGolf. I found the old thread Here

Also plugged the part # into Impex - $368! - Just a wee bit more than the $85 VelvetFoot found them for 4 years ago :rolleyes: ... ebay.de is looking better all the time, if the seller would only answer or respond to my messages.

Still curious what the difference between the mirrors for diesels vs. gassers is, if anyone knows for sure.

Cheers!

bconway@uiuc.edu

I have autodim mirrors on 3 different Beetles. I don't believe there is any difference between the gas and diesel-at least that was unimportant for the 3 I bought. What is important is the change in design-sometime in 2002 for the 2003 model year. The earlier cars have the time and temp shown with a segmented display; the newer cars use a slightly larger dot matrix. They are not interchangeable. The newer model has two electrical connectors, the earlier only one.

I might have a cream beige one from a 2000 NB for sale soon. I am selling the car and I'll probably replace the autodim with the original and sell the autodim-if that is the color you need.

Nate_Grauvogel

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 T-Reg Exec
ETKA shows they changed in mid-2003. Mine's the older style. It's nice to know what changed. ;)

The seller is responsive now, but still won't come through and give me the no-kidding part #. Her last note to me said it's either a "C" or an "AD" version (referring to the shredouts after 1C0 857 511 and before the color code). That helped me about diddly squat... a "C" would work, but an "AD" is for post-03 cars.

Their reticence (or inability) to read me the part #, along with the inconvenience of them not taking PayPal (I'd have to likely mail them a payment or find another way), is pushing me to give up on this particular seller, regardless of the bargain price I'd likely get. These things aren't selling for much in Germany... another one will come up eventually.

I need a gray one, so too bad yours won't work. Thanks for the info, though.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
That mic may be for the radio and not a hands free setup. The Monsoon uses a microphone to sense ambient noise. As the noise level rises (road noise, etc.), the Monsoon will automatically increase the volume level to compensate.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, the mic is for a Euro option of being equipped for handsfree mobile phone. Newer North American cars with Onstar support have a mic there too.

The audio variance you mention is based on vehicle speed signal being fed to the head unit.

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
will it fit a NB with Sunroof?

When I brought my 2002 NB TDI, I, too, was trying to
retrofit a self-dimming mirror from a NB GLX. VW Parts people
said it wouldn't work in a TDI with a sunroof.

From looking at the photos, it looks like the map lights are
built into the housing - i.e., it's a longer/deeper unit than what's
in mine. The map lights are built into the mirror surround.

If anyone has more info - I'm interested.

Cheers,

Lon

P.S. Audi R-10 TDI won Sebring!!!

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
I have OnStar in my '05 NB TDI and it has the auto-dimming mirror and the microphone for the hands-free phone is built into the base of the mirror.

Here's a pic for reference:

BugaBloo

TDI
VW NB 2002, Dark Blue
bconway@uiuc.edu said:
I might have a cream beige one from a 2000 NB for sale soon. I am selling the car and I'll probably replace the autodim with the original and sell the autodim-if that is the color you need.
Let me know if you are selling and how much, I am interested. Thanks!:D