2003 Jetta TDI Replacement Clutch Choices

ColoradoZ28

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Due to an unfortunate incident last Saturday I now need a new clutch/flywheel assembly in my 111,000 mile 2003 Jetta TDI. I did a search on "clutch" in this group and did a lot of reading. What I have learned over the last few days are new terms such as dual-mass flywheel which adds up to much more money than I would have thought. At this point I have narrowed down my options to two which I am looking for feedback on from the tdi club.

I found the labor can be bought for about $600. My choices for parts are:
1) Dieselgeek.com G60/VR6 SACHS clutch kit - $410
Advantages: less expensive, more robust
Disadvantages: noisier, more prone to clutch chatter

2) Clutchcityonline.com SACHS kit with dual-mass flywheel - $635
Advantages: supposedly OEM and are all new parts
Disadvatages: more expensive, unknown supplier

It appears many tdiclubbers are happy with their G60/VR6 conversion.

My son had a bad day last Saturday which meant I had a bad day. He was using my Jetta with bike rack to transport his downhill mountain bike - essentially a motorcycle without the engine. It broke loose from the rack and put some nice scratches and dings on my Jetta. Upsetting, but not a big deal at that point. He then let his girlfriend drive the Jetta with the intent of getting both the car and bike to her house. According to my son within 45 seconds she had the clutch smoking with the result being very little clutch pedal play left. By coincidence at the same time I was replacing the clutch on my 69 Camaro which is a very easy job with a total cost of about $200 with me doing the work. Based on this I was thinking the clutch replacement would be a $500 to $600 job including parts. I was in for a big surprise. I checked at two repair shops and got a range of $1700 to $1900 with parts being the significant contributor. With the above choices I've got it down to a range of $1000 - $1300. Both my son and his girlfriend are kicking in money and we have all learned something - like don't drive other people's cars.

ColoradoZ28

Last edited:

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
I got mine at mjmautohaus.com I have the lightened flywheel, for some reason people think it's harder to control...

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
bleachedbora also has them.

Having had both lightened and standard weight ones, I would have to say get the standard weight one as it chatters less at idle and really no need for a lightened one on a tdi as they seem to like the 22lb one.... at least in my experience and couple mechanics in the area I have chatted with.

1) VR6 Clutch kit with G60 single mass flywheel and 6 pressure plate, 6 flywheel and 9 transmission stretch bolt kit ($20 value, required for all A4/A5s):
*$399 shipped in the US

*Lightened flywheels are not recommended for a TDI due to excessive vibration and the fact that diesel cars do not rev as quickly as a gasser--and the only real reason for a lightened flywheel is to help the engine rev faster--hence, a lightened flywheel is not needed!

Last edited:

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Liike Doc said....thats a great deal. Smokin' if you will.
It's a bit cheaper than dieselgeek's kit.
Besides....BB is a poor student still living at home!

Depending on where you are in relation to a guru that clutch job can be done for about half that. I had mine installed by a rally great fella for half of what you have been quoted. It was worth the 3hr drive to have it done right and economically. More so just to have it done right the first time.

pghPAtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2001, White, Leather
Like Doc said....thats a great deal. Smokin' if you will.
It's a bit cheaper than dieselgeek's kit.
Besides....BB is a poor student still living at home!

Depending on where you are in relation to a guru that clutch job can be done for about half that. I had mine installed by a rally great fella for half of what you have been quoted. It was worth the 3hr drive to have it done right and economically. More so just to have it done right the first time.

ColoradoZ28

TDI
2003 VW Jetta TDI
Follow-up to 1003 Jetta Clutch Replacement

After making the first post in July I had decided I would buy the Luk 17-050 clutch kit for $775 (includes dual-mass flywheel) and have it installed by a local and trusted transmission shop. At the time the question was when. This was decided for me about a month after the initial incident when all of sudden the clutch failed. About six weeks ago I did go ahead and buy the kit and had it installed for $380.00 with smooth running ever since. The close to $1200 cost was more than I wanted to spend but a lot less than I was quoted by the dealer and another shop. Both my son and his girlfriend (mostly my son) were held responsible for their actions by helping with the cost.
ColoradoZ28