Overfilled oil - Big deal?

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Dealer changed oil on my mk6 TDI a few weeks ago(before some start losing it, they didn't screw anything up, this was my fault), I checked the level before I started my car when I picked it up and it was a bit low, but still in the safe zone. I drove it for a bit and decided to top it to the top of the safe zone. I added about 0.3 litres and the dipstick read that the level was perfect. My next fillup, I checked oil and the level went up! In the picture, you can see the oil level and I think the level is where the arrow is pointing. If it is at that level, is that dangerous?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I would suck some out.

there is a warning (note identified as potentially causing damage to the vehicle) in the owners manual. it actually says do not start the engine if the oil is over "a" which it looks like you are.

within the cross hatch area is good.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The sky is falling!!!! The sky is falling!!!

Seriously, you probably have two cups extra oil in there and this will not cause any troubles. The manual HAS to say that you shouldn't overfill to cover themselves.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
When I change the oil in my CR TDI, I always fill it up to the level shown in the OP's pic.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
If that is all you went above full, I'd say there's absolutely no problem.

My Dad had a service station when I was in HS. He once refilled the principal's car with oil after forgetting to empty it. In just a few minutes, the principal came back after picking up the car. The hydraulic valves on the car were all knocking like mad.

The oil had obviously been churned up quite severely by the crankshaft. This lead to foam being entrained into the oil pump and filled the hydraulic lifters with foam.

Conrad -JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW DSG
You may want to keep a close eye on the level, see if it continues to increase. VW says that in some cases the use of high percentage biodiesel may increase the oil level over time. The increase is caused from some of the unburned bio washing down the cylinders and diluting the oil. VW even sent a letter out to the owners of TDIs in Illinois covering this issue. I'm sure that the letter is posted here someplace.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The common rails employ post-injection to burn off soot in the dpf. Since biodiesel doesn't vaporize as easily as D2, it washes down the cylinder walls and gets into the sump oil.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
I drove at this level for maybe 100 miles. I know it probably wasn't a big deal, but I took the time to drop the belly pan and take a bit of oil out. The level is now in the middle on the cross hatch.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I'm still struggling trying to get the oil in that little tiny hole the stick comes out of. I mean, WTH were they thinking?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Thanks for stopping by to ignore our advice. Now it's in the add range, where before it was perfectly fine.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I drove at this level for maybe 100 miles. I know it probably wasn't a big deal, but I took the time to drop the belly pan and take a bit of oil out. The level is now in the middle on the cross hatch.

Now you need to top it up till the max mark.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No jokes. Your original question has already been answered:

I'd like you to encourage worrying less about the oil level beingly *slightly* over the max mark.

Also, ALWAYS check the oil level on a flat ground. Ensure it is flat. Once again ensure it is flat. I like to check it in my garage. Never check oil anywhere else unless absolutely necessary (e.g. parking lot, gas station). The road surface might not be flat although visually it might be looking to be so. When checking the oil level, ensure each time you use the same technique. Oil level should be checked on HOT engine, 2-3 minutes after the shutdown.

Long story short, the oil level you've posted in the photo was in "nothing to worry about" area. You shouldn't have put anny effort in draining it.

Last edited:

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
I was joking. HOWEVER, I did know a guy that complained about this. He had no idea. I guess that's why they print owners manuals.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Guess you've all heard the 710 joke.

Seems this blonde wanted to know where to put oil in her car. All she's found, she says, is a "710" cap on the engine.

Guess what "OIL" is if it is upside down.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
I'm going to be offended on behalf of all those who didn't see that who would be offended on behalf of all the blondes who didn't see that who aren't smart enough to be offended on their own behalf.

Someone needs to be offended because nobody can take a joke anymore.

Last edited:

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
From personal experience, when it gets to the bottom of the cross-hatched area I throw in a gallon of 15W40. Depending on what engine you have, you might need to follow a different "rule of thumb".

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the horse is not dead yet.

If you do a search on this topic you'll probably break the internet.

Check this one out...

https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=249698

This is a great reference, with a lot of good info. (more than in the owners manual)

you are supposed to check this indicator (dipstick) when you fill the car with oil after an oil change. (as well as once in a while in between oil changes!)

the idea should be to fill a little low, check the level, and then apply this note.

target is top of b or somewhere in c. when you check, and the level is in c, stop.

this note would assume that this process was done, and is written to account for the increases from higher temps, and from the fuel condensation mentioned above, which could push the reading into d.

the note does not say it is ok to fill into the d section.

it also includes the same warning note near the top, which is repeated in the owners manual, about potential damage of filling over max (marked as 2) to the expensive parts in the exhaust treatment system.

alldatadiy for the 2009 also has this note in the engine oil service precautions section.
Do not overfill! Over filling can cause misfire DTCs to be stored in the ECM (J220). To prevent overfilling, add approx. 0.5L less then capacity, start engine and let run until engine is at operating temperature (approx 60 deg C (140 deg F)). Turn ignition OFF, wait approx 3 mins, check dipstick, then fill to MAX.

drakeMK5

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Dealer changed oil on my mk6 TDI a few weeks ago(before some start losing it, they didn't screw anything up, this was my fault), I checked the level before I started my car when I picked it up and it was a bit low, but still in the safe zone. I drove it for a bit and decided to top it to the top of the safe zone. I added about 0.3 litres and the dipstick read that the level was perfect. My next fillup, I checked oil and the level went up! In the picture, you can see the oil level and I think the level is where the arrow is pointing. If it is at that level, is that dangerous?
Not trying to take a shot at you, but next time you may be better off just going back in and speaking to a mechanic if your car was below the level it should be when you picked it up. You acknowledged that the service wasn't done properly but drove away without a word being said. Then probably spent an extra 10-15$ on oil that you ended up partially draining back out..... You paid for the oil at the dealer I'm sure they gladly would have topped it up at no charge. Hopefully the lesson was learned

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Not trying to take a shot at you, but next time you may be better off just going back in and speaking to a mechanic if your car was below the level it should be when you picked it up. You acknowledged that the service wasn't done properly but drove away without a word being said. Then probably spent an extra 10-15$ on oil that you ended up partially draining back out..... You paid for the oil at the dealer I'm sure they gladly would have topped it up at no charge. Hopefully the lesson was learned
Hold on, now, the level was in the middle of the cross hatch "safe zone" when I picked it up. On previous changes, they had it at that exact level. I know I could've asked them to put some in, but it's in the safe area, and I didn't think it was a big deal. I have tons of oil for this car at home.

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Long story short, the oil level you've posted in the photo was in "nothing to worry about" area. You shouldn't have put anny effort in draining it.
Alright, well now I'm stumped. I took a 400 mile drive yesterday and after I parked, it sat for about 5 minutes. I checked oil and it was a little below the level on the dipstick in my original picture, but still above the cross hatch. This morning, I checked it cold, and it's in the middle of the cross hatch. What the hell is going on? Shouldn't it be the other way round?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The more we learn, the less we know, I guess.
Firstly, was the car on level surface?
Secondly, you did wipe off the dipstick after you pulled it for the 1st time, right?

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
From personal experience, when it gets to the bottom of the cross-hatched area I throw in a gallon of 15W40. Depending on what engine you have, you might need to follow a different "rule of thumb".
Ummm.... I think you meant QUART...

Also, why would you run a 15w40?