Bluetooth Audio and auto-starting from iphone 4

dmccleaf

TDI
1999 Jetta, 2012 Jetta
I have a 3gs synced via BT to my '12 jetta. Same problem. When I start the car the phone connects and immediately starts up the ipod app and starts playing. I don't even have the radio turned on in the car. It's REAL annoying because it kills the iphone battery as it can't go idle and sleep.
JN, just bought 2012 Jetta TDI; and have exact same issue. Even with radio off, as soon as car bluetooth is switched on, iPod on the iPhone starts up automatically. Not a real big issue ( I just go to Media, and select pause.). Still an annoyance! I want the BT Media function disabled all together as long as I still have Bluetooth phone capability. There IS NO setting to disable this via the radio settings. I'll keep all posted as I get with deler.

James' MK6 TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
just upgraded to iOS 5 beta 7 that my boss gave me... issue persists, but now with the newer bluetooth protocol on the phone, it displays the time and track info instead of just "BT-Audio"

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
just upgraded to iOS 5 beta 7 that my boss gave me... issue persists, but now with the newer bluetooth protocol on the phone, it displays the time and track info instead of just "BT-Audio"
Does the new iOS give you any kind of profile selection?

James' MK6 TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
Does the new iOS give you any kind of profile selection?
no, not yet at least, its still in beta 7 and there's going to be at least 1 more beta and then GM before it gets released, so maybe there will be some more functionality before it goes official.

James' MK6 TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
Update on this:

now for some reason, the radio is doing the autoplay (which i have it set to) and then immediately pausing the track on the display, yet it continues to play on the phone! I have to manually press play 2-4 times, literally fighting with it to play my damn music.

seriously at a point where I want to go back to my dealer and have my radio replaced, or just throw in my Kenwood :mad:

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Update on this:

now for some reason, the radio is doing the autoplay (which i have it set to) and then immediately pausing the track on the display, yet it continues to play on the phone! I have to manually press play 2-4 times, literally fighting with it to play my damn music.

seriously at a point where I want to go back to my dealer and have my radio replaced, or just throw in my Kenwood :mad:
I would wait for iOS 5.1 to be released. Realistically, you are running unreleased software known to have bugs. The official release always has bugs and Apple doesn't fix this till the .1 update.

djtj

TDI
2012 Golf Highline
iOS 5 went gold master this week. It does not have an option to turn bt audio off as far as I can tell.

I'm ready to throw my freaking iPhone out the window. Why can't we disable this? Either thru the car stereo or the phone.

Fwiw I downloaded a2dp blocker from the app store. Cost me 3 bucks and does sweet nothing!!!!

I even tried unpairng the "audio player" from the car. That worlks great. Until u start the car again. Then it auto pairs AGAIN!!! arrrrrggggggg

Gnavicks

TDI
2010 VW GTI
DJTJ,

Where's the fellow VW love? There's no reason for bad reviews in the App Store, just ask questions first :)

If A2DPblocker is currently not working for you and you have iOS 4.0 or later then you just need to turn on the "Background Audio" feature found by scrolling to the bottom of the app's window. Don't close the app once its open as backgrounding is not supported yet but will be in the next update. And in iOS 5 you can't lock the screen either until backgrounding is supported.

Link: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5432108-iOS-Device-A2DPblocker-App-Bluetooth-MDI-blocked-A2DP!!

DJTJ, if this fixed your problem please update your review.

Thanks!
Gnavicks

Surrylic

TDI
White 2011 VW Jetta TDI, Manual
no, not yet at least, its still in beta 7 and there's going to be at least 1 more beta and then GM before it gets released, so maybe there will be some more functionality before it goes official.
I've iOS 5 now, but it isn't showing anything besides BT-Audio. I deleted the profile from my car and had my phone forget it, just to try resetting but it didn't help. Any ideas? Is it Nav stereo only?

Gnavicks

TDI
2010 VW GTI
I've iOS 5 now, but it isn't showing anything besides BT-Audio. I deleted the profile from my car and had my phone forget it, just to try resetting but it didn't help. Any ideas? Is it Nav stereo only?
You can keep holding your breath in hopes of Apple giving us more Bluetooth control or just try A2DPblocker in the App Store as mentioned in post #38.

Surrylic

TDI
I fortunately enough don't suffer from the issue other folks are stuck with here, I just saw James had been able to view the song title and artist on his stereo screen and was curious what was done to get that to work.... So that's my fault, I totally quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote this:

djtj

TDI
2012 Golf Highline
Syrrlic. How do you not have these problems? Is your iPhone not paired to your vw via Bluetooth?

Seriously, I have to somehow find an answer for this problem. It's actually driving me up the WALL

Surrylic

TDI
Sorries! No idea how I don't have them.. just lucky? I have the non-Nav stereo, and an iPhone 4 (used to be on iOS 4, now 5). I make calls and listen to music through my car stereo on a regular basis, everything is totally paired. I did a bunch of research at the start of this thread, never could figure the problem out... and can't troubleshoot since it doesn't effect me. Sorry dude.

Gnavicks

TDI
2010 VW GTI
Syrrlic. How do you not have these problems? Is your iPhone not paired to your vw via Bluetooth?

Seriously, I have to somehow find an answer for this problem. It's actually driving me up the WALL
DJTJ,

Did you not see my comments to you in post #38 in regards to the A2DPblocker app in the App Store? FYI, I'm the developer of A2DPblocker if I didn't make that clear and I fully understand your problem because I experience it as well in my 2010 VW GTI.

Thanks,
Gnavicks

Last edited:

Surrylic

TDI
FWIW I have found that this overall issue affects many different vehicles using many different phones. For better or worse it's not as simple as an iPhone + Jetta conflict. Pretty cool the developer of that app hangs out in the forum here tho, it may not be a total fix but it's a good work-around for those affected.

James' MK6 TDI

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
FWIW I have found that this overall issue affects many different vehicles using many different phones. For better or worse it's not as simple as an iPhone + Jetta conflict. Pretty cool the developer of that app hangs out in the forum here tho, it may not be a total fix but it's a good work-around for those affected.
I spent the $3 on the app, seems cool but isn't really working correcty ATM, hoping the update will fix the issues.

Surrylic, how about those BT talks on macrumors? haha.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
You can keep holding your breath in hopes of Apple giving us more Bluetooth control or just try A2DPblocker in the App Store as mentioned in post #38.
Although a bit off topic for this forums, I saw the 1 star review from the Scooby owner. There seems to be something odd with their radios. My wrx expierences the same problem even when using the jailbroken apps. It's like it resets the phone's bluetooth stack and turns it all on again!

djtj

TDI
2012 Golf Highline
I just want to get in the car, have my phone pair, and NOT the bt-audio. (otherwise known as media player on my mfd)

When I go for long drives, I go into my mfd, and unpair the media player. Now it works PERFECT. bt is paired for phone calls, and btaudio does not work, and all my alerts come thru the PHONE speaker. problem is I can't "delete" the pairing, because it says "phone is still connected thru Bluetooth. So Everytime I start the car, I gotta go thru the same damn process.

Is there a way to disable the media player thru vagcom?

There has to be a way I would think? If I can manually unpair it, can't I permantely disable it?

Oh and gnavicks, I'm sorry, but I don't understand how your program works. I have to keep it running to stop the btaudio? I was hoping your app would run in the background, so when I pair my phone with the car, it would think it didn't have a "media player" and not pair it.

But I guess it doesnt work that way.

Gnavicks

TDI
2010 VW GTI
Oh and gnavicks, I'm sorry, but I don't understand how your program works. I have to keep it running to stop the btaudio? I was hoping your app would run in the background, so when I pair my phone with the car, it would think it didn't have a "media player" and not pair it.

But I guess it doesnt work that way.
In its current version (v1.0) you will need to keep the app open to stop BT Audio. I'm hoping Apple approves v1.1 which is finished and does run in the background. Until then please don't close the app.

dapelleg

TDI
2012 Jetta
Gnavicks, I've tried your app, but it seems buggy. The app disables the auto ipod a2dp BT start up and allows me to control my iphone via the MDI controls, but that changes if I take a phone call. As soon as the call hangs up the iphone reverts to a2dp BT control and the MDI controls stop working. The app displays an error message. Any ideas?

dp

Gnavicks

TDI
2010 VW GTI
Gnavicks, I've tried your app, but it seems buggy. The app disables the auto ipod a2dp BT start up and allows me to control my iphone via the MDI controls, but that changes if I take a phone call. As soon as the call hangs up the iphone reverts to a2dp BT control and the MDI controls stop working. The app displays an error message. Any ideas?

dp
dapelleg,

I'm aware of this issue and in version 1.1 this scenario has been made more reliable. Please wait for the update to be released.

Thanks,
Gnavicks

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
So just noticed Bluetooth Audio can be disabled via VCDS.
This solved the auto starting of the media player on my iPhone 4 for good.

Of course, now if I wanted to use it, I can't, because it's disabled completely.

trimhound

TDI
Any updates on this issue? I've had my jetta for less than a month and it drives me nuts having to manually stop my music from playing each time I start the car....not to mention my music continues playing (w/out sound) even after leaving the car.....its an insane battery DRAIN!!

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI sold... 2012 Jetta TDI sold 13 JSW DSG w/ sunroof
My Iphone works fine, but i can't get a balckberry curve to connect to my radio. they just can see each other. Any suggestions?

TDSA

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Premium
Any updates?

I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 5.1.1 and a 2012 Jetta TDI. The radio will switch to BT audio regardless of the AutoPlay setting. Like others have mentioned, this is insanely annoying. It's been several months since this thread was active; has anyone found a good work-around?

FirstOrbit84

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 2-Door Golf TDI
You can't go into the bluetooth devices options in the iphone and tell it to only connect to the phone for that device (car), and not to connect to bluetooth audio?? I can do that on my android.

But I have a different problem: when I turn the car on, mine will only connect to phone, and not audio, unless I disconnect and reconnect to the device (car). Kinda the opposite of your guys' problem really. :rolleyes:

hawleyrw

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 White M6 w/Prem and Nav
I've got an iphone 4 (on my hip, connects BT only), and an ipod in the glove box by MDI...system always starts playing the ipod (like it should). I've got music on my iphone, but i've never had the car start to play anything on it.

I'm running a '12 prem w/nav.

trimhound

TDI
I have an iPhone 4s running iOS 5.1.1 and a 2012 Jetta TDI. The radio will switch to BT audio regardless of the AutoPlay setting. Like others have mentioned, this is insanely annoying. It's been several months since this thread was active; has anyone found a good work-around?
Only way I have found so far to stop it is installing BT Services from Cydia (need to jailbreak your iPhone)....thing that sucks tho is that when you do want music playing you have to access this app 1st...