Jeep Liberty CRD EGR workaround/fix???

Wolfieroc

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
All, I have a diesel Jetta I love and is how I sold my wife on a Jeep Liberty diesel. I have read alot of forums and this one seems to have the best advice/tricks when in comes to diesels so I will post the question to this knowledgeable audience. Has anyone found a way to stop/slow down the EGR failures with the Jeep CRD's? Outside of this annoiance she loves the vehicle. I understand the common theory is that it is related to the low sulfer dielsel fuels available in the US. If that is the case is there a "sulfur additive"-I can hear the enviro ****'s heads exploding-relax just a question or some type of fuel additive(ie cleaner) that will stop or at least slow this down so I don't have to hear about it every 6K miles or so?? Thank you in advance for your input on this one.

bluesmoker

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd 5 speed tip
Burn biodiesel, less smoke = less clogging

The other option is to chip the truck ; the chip turns down the egr to the minimum legal limit of use; delays clogging for a long time.

It will also make your truck smoke it's tires:D

http://www.inmotionusa.com/

lbhskier37

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet (2008 soon)
bluesmoker said:
Burn biodiesel, less smoke = less clogging

The other option is to chip the truck ; the chip turns down the egr to the minimum legal limit of use; delays clogging for a long time.

It will also make your truck smoke it's tires:D

http://www.inmotionusa.com/
does anyone make chips that turn the egr all the way off? For "offroad" use only ;)

boxcab

TDI
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD
OldNavy can no doubt chime in with authority on this, but you should visit L.O.S.T., the KJ forum, and peruse the CRD section on mods. There is a very simple one called the "Off-Road Mod" or ORM. I think it involves merely unplugging the harness connector to the EGR valve. It sets the MIL, and a code (of course!) but a bit of electrical tape over the offending icon lamp will solve it. It seems a poor way of addressing a chronic problem, however.

So far I've had no EGR trouble with my WK CRD (knock on wood). The KJ's were pre-DPF era diesels, and are typically lubed with oils containing high ash and phosphorus. The new, low-SAPS synthetics required on the WK CRD should help alleviate this problem.

Or so I hope!