Temp light and oil light flashing

Ridgeline

TDI
98 jetta tdi
Hey I'm new to the forum I've purchased a wrecked 98 tdi jetta from a co-worker he hit culvert. I got the front end fixed. Recently we've had some cold days and the battery was dead when i went out a couple days ago. so I jump started the car and now the red temp light and oil light are flashing. I was curious if I messed up the sensors when I jump started the car. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ridgeline

TDI
98 jetta tdi
Thanks.i decided to drive down the road and noticed the tach doesn't work now either and the speedometer is running about 20 mph less than what the car is actually running and one other thing I noticed when I turn the key to the on position the odometer kinda scrambles for a few seconds then the numbers pop back up again.

Ridgeline

TDI
98 jetta tdi
The car starts right up with no lag at all.i jump started it the one time.this makes me feel like the battery is ok. I could be wrong.i just seems to me like it would be dead or lag when cranked over if the battery were bad but stranger things have happened. I've read that it could be a certain wire or wires with faulty connections or breaking down.im jyst not sure where to start diagnosing that.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
My electrical diagnostic skills are minimal , so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in

thzpcs

TDI
2008 Golf TDI
My electrical diagnostic skills are minimal , so maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in
You can take it into an Autozone or other parts store, and they can do a basic load test on the electrical system. It should give you at least somewhat of an idea if the battery/alternator is going.