Highest miles TDI Jetta I've ever seen !! 651K !! (pics)

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
First off, what's with the hate for high mileage TDIs?? When I was working as a medical courier, I did over 400 miles per day, 5 days a week, in my Golf (that's 100,000 miles per year). It was 95% highway miles, and anyone who's seen my car will tell you that it's in terrific shape for the miles. If I was still working, mine would be right up there with this one, probably higher.

Given the right conditions (mostly highway miles), $3500 isn't out of line for a car like mine, or the one in the auction, if it's had the same kind of driving and has been properly maintained.

Personally, I wouldn't take $5,000 for mine if it was offered.

Secondly, go back to that thread I referenced earlier. A fellow member's 2003 Jetta's odometer had maxed out at 1 million KMs (620something K miles), and several people did checks, research into how the gauge cluster was designed, and it was determined that it couldn't go over that figure. The New Beetle's gauge cluster was made by another manufacturer who put enough memory to go over that figure, but not the Jettas or Golfs.

EDIT: I found this post in the other thread. It states:
The odometer could technically go to 655350 miles before running out of a way to store the value in the cluster but I guess they limit it to 999,999km's which is why your miles stopped early.
If correct, this makes this Jetta's reading plausible, but doesn't explain why Brian's odometer stopped at 621,358 miles.

Last edited:

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
LOL, no hate. Just that for a little more you can get a nice one with under 200K miles on it.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
LOL, no hate. Just that for a little more you can get a nice one with under 200K miles on it.
For a little more? :confused:

A less-than-200K mile MK IV in good shape is $5000 to $8000. These aren't gassers!

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Alphasenior and I shared a project for an '03 that had 615,000 when it blew a lifter bucket. Couldn't convince him to do a ring job and we put it back together. I never heard anything else about that one. But he poured a ton of miles on that car running all over Texas.

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
I'd rather have a properly running TDI with 350K miles than a 150K beat to hell car. People who put on the higher mileage tend to use the right oil, quality filters. etc. Check their oil etc. You don't get to 350K by neglecting your car.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
It is worth that much to YOU (without all the mods). :)
A car's worth is what people are willing to pay. You happened to get your TDI from a dingdong who had no idea what it was really worth, or it was in less than good condition?

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My 2004 wagon is priceless, would not consider any offer on it unless it was way crazy stupid. But if i had a chance to get an AWD Golf with a 6 speed and a PD150, you can bet the 2004 wagon would be priced to sell in a hurry.

I agree, would rather have a hi mileage car that has been taken care of, than a low Mileage car that has been car beat on, but 600K is a LOT of miles!!!

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
A car's worth is what people are willing to pay. You happened to get your TDI from a dingdong who had no idea what it was really worth, or it was in less than good condition?
Plenty of dingdongs in todays economy.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I bought a Jetta for $3000 with 290K miles on it recently, and I thought I got a great deal. Yes, it needs about $1200 to get it into good mechanical shape.

Once it's back in shape with new wheel bearings/shocks/control arms/injectors/motor mounts/TB Kit/etc, I would say it's easily worth $6000 even though there is some body damage. It's still a fast, good handling 50mpg+ car, and it's value should be determined by how many miles it has left until the next expected big service. The total miles on the chassis and engine are irrelevant if the parts that need to do work are newer and/or still functioning like new.

SoxFan33

TDI
2002 Jetta / 1987 Samurai (AAZ)
Odometer Error

I know this is an old thread but it was one of the first hits on my web search for the same issue and it seems like there is an error in the assumption.
There is an issue with the odometer (or some other electronic part). I know this because my 2002 Jetta TDI that I bought new only has 62K miles on it. I just took it in for an oil change and they wanted to verify it had 651533 miles on it. That's the exact same number on the odometer. Because I just had the oil changed then the service entry will be captured by CarFax and indicate that the car has 651533 miles on it. Look at the service record details and look for the earlier entries, either they will have the same 651533 mileage or something significantly less. That will give you an indication on actual mileage and when the problem occurred. I did read somewhere that it's a service indication that the timing belt needs to be replaced. I am still researching.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I’ve got a customers with a Golf Sportwagen with the 1.8 TSI engine.

I thought it was a 2015, but that math didn’t add up...

He just came in for his 500k mile service.

He is in approx every 3 - 4 weeks for service.

He drives medical equipment across the country.

And he just had his first high dollar repair bill. A catalytic converters at 483k Miles.

Last edited:

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
I had an 89 Jetta with 623,000 on the clock when it was totaled in a wreck in 2001.

At one time I had all the service records, but no longer do.

The engine was original, and had never been rebuilt or had head work on it. It was on it's 2nd injection pump, 2nd oil pump. 5th gear wore out on the original manual transmission and I replaced it with a used transmission at 430k. The driver's seat cushion was replaced after 500k after it was pretty much flat.

The electronic digital odometer can go to 999,999 miles, but they do stop at 999,999. The 651k one you see is quite possible,and wont time out due to memory issues.

The 2015 Passat I bought 14 months ago has 79,000 on it now, and should continue the mileage uptick of at least 65k per year.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Good to hear a report on this engine... since these days we seem to be stuck with very little choice.

Yuri
Ok, So I was a little mistaken...

The catalytic converter was replaced at 414K miles.

But as I first thought, it is in fact a 2015 Golf Sportwagen with the CXBB 1.8T engine. AND THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!!!

And that mileage is not a mistake. We have records from 2015 when he first brought it here with 121k miles.

He brings it here once a month for an oil change, with 10k more miles added on the clock.