BHW/01E 6 Speed Swap

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I still haven't done the wiring for the clutch switch/cruise. I'll get to it this spring/summer.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
I still haven't done the wiring for the clutch switch/cruise. I'll get to it this spring/summer.

Same here, was thinking yesterday that I should get on it as it gets tiring on longer drives not to have a CC.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Cruise done and working....Reverse lights, well I have the pigtail for the transmission and located the wires in the harness. Does that count as good enough?

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
My reverse light works too, had to work to pass the safety inspection.

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I have two of these, one is a DQS from 1999, the other is an FRF - a later version with a build apparently in 2003. Both have the tone ring and have functioning speedo. What version 01E do you have?

psst1997

Veteran Member
TDI
90 Corrado G60, 90 Corrado 3.6, 92 Corrado VR6, 97 Passat TDI, 2005 Jetta TDI, 2006 Touareg V10, 2011 Golf TDI
I have two of these, one is a DQS from 1999, the other is an FRF - a later version with a build apparently in 2003. Both have the tone ring and have functioning speedo. What version 01E do you have?
It is a GAZ. Exact same gearing as the DQS. I think it came from an A6. I had this one and a DQS come together so it's been interested comparing the two. Two different style shifter setups, different reverse switches, different axle flanges. Besides gearing I havn't really looked into what else could be different. This one is definitely a later trans as it does or did have the later linkage.

I was just surprised to see no one else run into it with a different trans but i guess when you are shopping you are picking out the trans that you want. With a little research it all made sense and was pretty easy to install. Pop the drivers axle flange out as well as the seal. Snap it in to the differential, install new seal, put your flange back in.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Sure - I think I have an extra connector if you need. I wanna drive your car again anyway - I've got all new mounts now, and I wanna feel the vibration difference to see if it's worth installing the geared BSM I picked up a while back.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Anytime - come on over. (You don't actually have to fix the wires for me either :) I'm just being lazy and treated it like an appliance for the past 2 years.)

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Hey Matt,

Your mileage should not be that low. After I did mine I experienced simililar mileage and was blaming the tune.
I'm embarrassed to say I had the computer in wrong setting where readout is,
Check the stalk on right of steering and on lower side is a button that changes readout. Make sure it's on proper setting.
As far as AC goes it sound like a flaky Relay. It's discussed here if you do a search.

Chrismak

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Pasatt TDI , 2008 Mercdes E-320 Bluetec, 1983 300D mercedes (Sold :-(
Who did your tune to re program computer for gearbox?
What gearbox do you have, 5 or 6 speed?

When you coast can you notice your brakes dragging. You should definitely get better mileage than that.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Tell us the MPH you are going at 2000 RPM in 5th gear if you have a 5 speed or 6th gear if you have a 6 speed.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
-Or the transmission code... ^smart man - didn't think it might be a gasser transmission.

mattbuy

TDI
2004 Golf tdi 5 speed
Who did your tune to re program computer for gearbox?
What gearbox do you have, 5 or 6 speed?
When you coast can you notice your brakes dragging. You should definitely get better mileage than that.
5 speed, ill find out which one. Not sure about brake dragging, only been with the car three weeks, my previous car was a geo metro :) Everything dragged.

mattbuy

TDI
2004 Golf tdi 5 speed
Was this calculated, or from the MFA display - how many miles and how many gallons, have you calculated any additional tanks.
I didnt write it down but it worked out at 33MPG from total gallons replaced in the tank and miles driven since fill up. I have only filled up twice in the three weeks ive had it. My daily commute is only 40 roundtrip.

mattbuy

TDI
2004 Golf tdi 5 speed
Tell us the MPH you are going at 2000 RPM in 5th gear if you have a 5 speed or 6th gear if you have a 6 speed.
If I remember in 5th gear (a five speed), not sure, I think I saw this morning 60 mph at 1800 or so, but there was probably a slight decline. I ll check today on the way home

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
i checked an older text from the mechanic, he said car was doing 2250 at 70mph
That is consistent with a 5 speed FHN/GGB. Double check it for yourself though.

mattbuy

TDI
2004 Golf tdi 5 speed
Hey Matt,

Your mileage should not be that low. After I did mine I experienced simililar mileage and was blaming the tune.
I'm embarrassed to say I had the computer in wrong setting where readout is,
Check the stalk on right of steering and on lower side is a button that changes readout. Make sure it's on proper setting.
As far as AC goes it sound like a flaky Relay. It's discussed here if you do a search.
I measured by the tank.

Ac relay found in junk yard....works fine now. I re soldered the old one also. Crack was right where forum said it would be.

GoremanX

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Audi A4 Avant quattro w/BHW TDI & 01E 6-speed
I read through this whole thread, but I just wanted clarification on a couple of things.

Mating a BHW to an 01E using a 228mm OEM DMF. I can already confirm that the DMF has the exact same gear pattern as the flex plate that used to be there (distance, number of teeth, etc), so I know the original starter will fit and engage properly. However I just wanted to be sure that the original starter will have enough starting torque. I was looking at specs, and it seems auto trans starters draw 1700 watts while manual trans starters draw 2000 watts. This confuses me since it seems the flywheel and pressure plate don't weigh as much as the old torque converter and flex plate (can't confirm though, since the old torque converter is gone). Maybe it has something to do with spin speed on a 228mm DMF vs the 240mm DMF typically found on manual trans 01E's?

Also, will the old starter bolts still fit?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
If you are using the original starter that came with the BHW, then it has enough torque to crank over the engine.

228mm = same # of starter teeth, and there's no more (arguably less) drag in a manual transmission vs an automatic.

The only reason I can think of that the std starter would be higher wattage is that it was what was already on the shelf that fit the application when the need arose.