Another 'Help me choose a cam' Thread

TDWhat?

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI
Hey everybody,

I just purchased an 05 Passat from my brother that needs a new cam and lifters. I'm not new to VW or motor work but I am new to diesels and especially PD's so I could use some advice. Before you tell me to search, I've done tons of research over the past month on the available cam kits and the (possible) up and downsides of each; what I'm noticing is that most of what I can find is either pretty old or non-conclusive.

So my question is: Is the BEW cam significantly more reliable than the BHW cam and worth the possible drop in power? I don't have VCDS right now so I won't be able to adjust torsion values. Also for what it's worth: this car was a one owner, tech-owned car that was maintained with OEM/German made parts and 505.01 spec Lubri-Molly oil at every 10K. The current camshaft and lifters have lasted 257K miles so if it's a toss-up, I'll probably just go with the BHW cam and continue to maintain it the way my brother did.

Edit: this will be my daily driver while I build my race car so cost is a factor. I've already gotten a quote from Frank06 and while I'm sure it's worthwhile, his kits are more than I can spend, as are the Colt cams. As much as I'd love to get the bump in power and probably reliability, I promised my wife this would be an "as little as it takes" car while my Subaru sucks up the rest of the house fund...

Also, anything else I should do while I'm destroying my hands trying to get the crank lock on?

Thanks!

Last edited:

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
Based on the reported failures here, I think 257k on an original cam is pretty good.

Are you talking about a Factory replacement BHW cam and a Colt or Frank06 aftermarket cam? There is also a Febi BHW cam kit floating around that is also significantly cheaper.

Since you have 257k on the engine, the question is really, (and I never saw any answers to this) is how far do these engines last before needing an overhaul? Cost might be an issue here.
Also are you interested in tuning for increase performance? If so, then the Colt or Frank06 cam is most likely for you.

Regarding the other parts while doing this job. Regular timing belt maintanence components, and thermostat and thermostat housing. Also be sure to change out the rear coolant flange and sensor . It will be easier to deal with all the parts off. Also, inspect your tandem pump and make sure the vacuum fitting is tight.

edit: I didn't see your edit above.. But I'll keep my reply the same.

Last edited:

TDWhat?

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI
That is a good point that I didn't really think about, I have seen these cars go 500K on the stock block with great maintenance (I'm probably not that great though). I'd like it to last another 5-7 years if possible; otherwise, it's a loaded GLS model so I'll part it out when the bottom end eats it :)

It would be a Febi BHW from IDparts, that kit runs about $600. IDparts also offers a "cut bearing" option, which I'm assuming is the same as Frank06's upper bearings, but I'd have to contact them to be sure. If it is, I may go ahead and get those and do the modifications to the head and bearing caps just for peace of mind.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Does the car still have its original chained balance shaft module? If so, consider a BSM delete or conversion to a geared unit.

wtribeflyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI sedan
I've put almost 40k now on my Febi kit that I got from ID Parts. Runs like a champ and still looks like new. I did cam, lifters, bearings, 8 new valves, guides and seals. Installed kits on the injectors/pumps, too.

Good luck!

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I think the biggest problem with all the cam talk, is there is no data that I have seen that backs up anyone's claims. I would love to see dyno results from stock grinds including the BEW, BHW and BRM in a BHW engine as well as the performance cams available from 2 main sources.
I will say this... I put a BEW cam in my BHW. I bought the car in the fall of 2014 and parked it until early summer 2015 when I did a bunch of work to it including replacing the cam. I honestly can't say whether I found it had more power with the BHW cam because I can't remember. I wish I would have gone with the BHW cam though, as I always can't help but think "would it have had more power?" Then there is adjusting torsion values, which again no one has any data for.
Ultimately the decision I made came from the pocket book. If the pocket book was of no concern I would have gone with one of specialty franko6 cams, but I ended up going with a BEW cam kit from boraparts (cam made by AMC). I would also talk to frank if you are looking for a stock grind cam. I didn't know he sold them as well and with all the help he had given me would have preferred to have given him my business because of that alone.

Another question to ask yourself is, are you paying someone to do the work or will you be doing it yourself? If your doing it yourself you could replace the cam twice for the cost of one of the performance cams, but if you were paying someone to do the work the labour costs may make the performance cams a better option as they are said to have better longevity.

Last edited:

TDWhat?

TDI
B5.5 Passat TDI
I'll be doing all of the work myself in my soon to be very cold driveway, so labor isn't an issue. How long have you had the AMC cam and have you checked the wear to see how it's holding up? I've read a couple opinions that they are somehow inferior quality but being billet I can't see how they are less reliable than the Febi cams.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Have only had the AMC cam in a few months and have not pulled the valve cover since it was installed. Though I need to, mine is leaking. :mad: BTW, AMC does make a cam for the BHW, I just went with the BEW version recommended from Aaron at BoraParts. At the time Aaron said he didn't think AMC made a BHW cam, though I was able to source one locally. I think OilHammer mentioned he had an issue with an AMC cylinder head at one point, but not an AMC cam. I was told by Aaron at BoraParts that the AMC cam was harder than the Febi and I believe the VW cam as well. Tried to find that email, but can't seem to locate it, so don't hold me to it! ;-) If you haven't yet come across KOLBENSCHMIDT, they also make cams for our beloved vw's. I hadn't seen anything bad about any of the aftermarket cams except for the fact that the VW design is weak and like the factory ones will eventually wear out. The franko6 cams are a whole other beast, though. I live where salt is used on the road 6months of the year... so there's a chance this cam may out live the car.