Chevy 50 MPG Diesel coming in 2013

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
It better not be a converted gasser.. like the old 350..

LiLredTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta tdi pd-1989 Jetta IDI-1994 F-250 IDI Turbo
Very interesting article. I really liked the part about VW not being able to keep TDI's in stock and the authors opinion that to meet CAFE standards it will most likely take diesels to do it.

Maybe there is hope for the diesel yet. If diesel fuel would have stayed at a lower cost than gasoline the sell for more diesels would have been easier.

Joester

Vendor
TDI
2002 Golf TDI
oh cool, only 25 years late, lol. I always love hearing commercials for "up to 35 highway MPG!" or whatever I just somehow want to let them know that my 10 year old car gets 45+ highway ;)

Last edited:

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I'll believe it when I see it. How many years have we been hearing Subaru/Honda/etc will be bringing in diesel "next year or the year after"?

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
First rant - I refuse to watch a youtube commercial as a lead in segment for a car advertisement. don't click on the link unless you have time to kill.

2nd rant - I hate companies that copy/mimmick other companies successful products/designs/aesthetics/features and business models. I bet it has 141hp. with 6speed auto. Damn, that looks like a V-Trouble-U.

3rd rant - Well, GM diesel sedan?? 50mpg (downhill, prevailing tailwind?? Imagine taking that into the dealer hehe. That will be a popular forum.

~;-#

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have a hard time beleiving that they can get EPA approval for a 2013 model if this is the first news leak. I would much rather see them offer a 6 cyl diesel in the 1500 pickups and avalance. Take the standard 17-19 mpg and pop it up to about 30 with the diesel. That would also give them a much higher boost in cafe numbers.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
It better not be a converted gasser.. like the old 350..
Ugh . . . here comes the dilettantes out of the woodwork.

The LF9 Oldsmobile diesel was NEVER a converted gasoline engine. It is a completely different block..It isn't a gas engine with different heads or a gas engine sleeved, etc etc..There was no gas Oldsmobile engine sharing the same block. The Diesel block is specific to the diesel, it is a heftier, more solid block with stronger mains and a port in the valley for the injection pump adapter. The block is cast with a high nickle content.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
DETROIT – The Chevrolet Cruze, the most popular car in the U.S. last month, will come in a diesel version that could boost gas mileage to around 50 mpg, two people briefed on General Motors Co. product plans said Monday.
GAS mileage, LOL. Maybe try DIESEL instead of gas? :p

Interesting article overall, and finally one that didn't remind people of the GM/Oldsmobile diesel disaster or other diesel cars from 30 years ago.

I liked the part about VW not being able to keep up with TDI demand in the USA. If nothing else, the situation caused another car manufacturer to take note of the demand and adjust their business plan(s) accordingly. Maybe it will help entice other manufacturers to offer their diesel cars here too. :cool:

Last edited:

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have a hard time beleiving that they can get EPA approval for a 2013 model if this is the first news leak. I would much rather see them offer a 6 cyl diesel in the 1500 pickups and avalance. Take the standard 17-19 mpg and pop it up to about 30 with the diesel. That would also give them a much higher boost in cafe numbers.

A diesel that was small enough to sling the heavy slugs that are "midsize" pickups these days into the 30mpg range would be decried as "dangerously slow" by the American public.

Not to mention I can already hear the other complaints... "Can't tow anything with a six cylinder." "Diesel's more expensive than gas!" "Pfft, it only has 200hp, worthless!"

:rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We have enough trucks as passenger cars. Too many, in fact. We need more car engine choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But I have my JSW and don't need another diesel car for many years. Hopefully :eek:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
an inline six can be the nicest engine around, I had a great one in my mid 80's F150, great one in my Volvo 960. And how many years did Jags have them as thier only option?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
2nd rant - I hate companies that copy/mimmick other companies successful products/designs/aesthetics/features and business models. I bet it has 141hp. with 6speed auto. Damn, that looks like a V-Trouble-U.
VW Beetle: Rear engined, swing arm suspension, air cooled, flat four. Available as two door and as van/truck. Sold by the millions
GM's idea? Corvair: Rear engined, swing arm suspension, air cooled, flat SIX! Available as sedan and as van/truck. Didn't sell too well, would have been dropped even earlier but GM didn't want Ralph to think he was right.

VW Rabbit: Transverse engined, watercooled four. Sold by the millions.
GM's idea? Citation: Transverse engined, watercooled SIX. Sold about as well as the Corvair, and Chevette, and Vega.

What's GM up to now? Look at at a used VW.

WVU TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6m
Former Corvair owner signing in, '65 110hp 4-speed convertible, loved that car.

Carry on.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I constantly hear that from PowerJoke owners who can't admit Cummins makes a superior engine.

"6 cylinders for towing, 8 cylinders for showing . . ."
Sorry, all my Cummins experience has shown that once they hit common rail they took a nosedive into the s**t can too. Leaky, noisy, turbo- and injector-eating whiny little sniveling wretches. Just like everyone else's engine when it's put into a severe service operation.

[edit] I hear the "can't tow without eight cylinders" mostly from the "350 fanboy" truck crowd. The kind of folks who think that the 350 was the greatest engine ever and should now be considered a minimum displacement for a proper car or truck engine.

Last edited:

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Just about every tractor/trailer rig on the highway is pulled by a straight six. Superior balance and simple plumbing.

Never understood why the pickup truck market abandoned the straight six. Other than engine was long and when they went to three foot dashboards the six would end up half under the windshield. Oh, wait.. now even the v-block engines are half under the windshield!!

BMW still makes sweet straight sixes.

Cat makes a nice marine twin-turbo 1100hp 18liter six.

My Cummins marine 8.3liter 450hp straight six is one of the nicest running engines I've ever been around.

Long live the straight six!!

farnhamassoc

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 09 TDI SPORTWAGEN 2011 Audi a3 TDI. VW caddy turbo diesel... Various vw split window busses

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
This GM car if it didnt have the giant bowitie is a great movement. It is already in Europe and doing well.
Define "Doing well". In Germany, the Cruze does sell in the 120-cars-per-month range. Which puts it at less than the Phaeton, or 0.6% or Golf sales.
Or one fifth of Porsche 911 sales.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Love the idea. However as others have mentioned a <fill in the blank> will be offered with an optional diesel engine in < fill in #> years in the United States.
The car manufacturers can thank me for the template later. :)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW Beetle: Rear engined, swing arm suspension, air cooled, flat four. Available as two door and as van/truck. Sold by the millions
GM's idea? Corvair: Rear engined, swing arm suspension, air cooled, flat SIX! Available as sedan and as van/truck. Didn't sell too well, would have been dropped even earlier but GM didn't want Ralph to think he was right.

VW Rabbit: Transverse engined, watercooled four. Sold by the millions.
GM's idea? Citation: Transverse engined, watercooled SIX. Sold about as well as the Corvair, and Chevette, and Vega.

Chrysler: Dodge Omni 4 door.

What's GM up to now? Look at at a used VW.
Added another copy cat

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
Just about every tractor/trailer rig on the highway is pulled by a straight six. Superior balance and simple plumbing.

BMW still makes sweet straight sixes.

Long live the straight six!!
Fuel economy and CO2 regulations means BMW is abandoning straight 6 engines for turbo 4 cylinders. Don't know if they will completely quit on the straight 6, but they are switching to mostly 4 cylinders in the near future.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
BMW just replaced the N57 straight six in the 525d with a twin turbo N47S from the 123d. I'm not sure if that brings any advantage in real world driving.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Austin Mini: Transverse 4 cyl, water cooled, FWD.
VWs idea: Rabbit

From another former Corvair owner.