Owners complain the "TDI Fix" made their car worse. - news article

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
So I know this is local article to those of us that live in Vancouver BC Canada but I'm sure it effects all of you where ever you may be that got the "fix"

In the article there's complaints of "reduced power, surges and safety"

"According to Golnaz Nayerahmadi, a lawyer with a Toronto law firm that was part of the class action, there have been 90 complaints from people like Smith and Wright who own or lease Generation 2 (model year 2013-16) 3.0-litre vehicles"

Here's the article, I'm so glad I didn't go in for the fix.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/class-action-volkswagen-safety-1.4983677

What are your issues with the fix?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
EDIT: I have 2.0 CR in the US, so if that’s not relevant to this thread I am happy to delete the post.

My issues with the fix:
1. Lost 4-5mpg. Power feels the same.
2. The inside of my tailpipe was clean from 7400 when I bought it, to 162k or 164k when I had the fix performed. I noticed around 190k that the inside of my tailpipe is completely black. Now, I don’t know what that means, but....

I will be un-fixing it as soon as the warranty is up.

Hasn’t been all bad though. I got $5100, a new intake manifold, a new tandem fuel pump, coverage for the HPFP until my next timing belt job at which point I’ll do CP3 upgrade, and a smokin’ deal on a fixed wagen.
So I’m not mad. I’m just finding the positives and rolling with it.
That’s my mileage.

Last edited:

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Owners complain the "TDI Fix" made their car worse. - news article

Back on the topic of the 3.0 liter cars. I’m not having any troubles with my car, and I think (as I’ve said several times) that reported problems are not widespread, or we would have heard much more by now. “Lag” is a little like hiccups: you know that you had it, but if you take It to the doctor it’s hard to reproduce the symptom. At any rate, 100K cars in Canada and 90 complaints is a problem rate of 0.1%. (How many cars and how many complaints are 3.0 liter? Not stated.) If there are 5x more out there unreported that brings it up to a whopping half a percent.

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I don’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for VW/Audi. They cheated. And they are taking a confrontational approach to many customers coming in with problems, trying to have the terms of the extended warranty honored. No kudos for them. They should be bending over backwards to take care of the consumers they deceived, not blocking and stonewalling them.

Last edited:

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
EDIT: I have 2.0 CR in the US, so if that’s not relevant to this thread I am happy to delete the post.
All valid points for sure, i'm sure there's many more complaints that just haven't come forward yet..

I'm gonna say the article although made out of Canada probably applies to the whole NA market. As for the black on the tail pipe that's weird, I'm non fixed and I never see any soot although I wish there was to blast people who tailgate behind me :p

BUT, and this is a big BUT, I don’t feel a whole lot of sympathy for VW/Audi. They cheated. And they are taking a confrontational approach to many customers coming in with problems, trying to have the terms of the extended warranty honored. No kudos for them. They should be bending over backwards to take care of the consumers they deceived, not blocking and stonewalling them.
Yeah and that's where I tell people, being a HD mechanic
Them engineers were smart, but if you really look into it.. 16,000km on a tank of DEF....isn't right.

Every vehicle follows emissions standards "Every 375L of diesel fuel consumed, between 8 and 15 litres of DEF will be automatically injected into the exhaust system which means that 23L tank would last about 2 tanks depending on how much it injects. The average def tank is 55-75L.. at work I'd be filling up 16 gallon tanks every few days...but Audi wanted to save space.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
I've had the 3.0 fix on multiple cars I own, and I've had nothing but problems.

The cars do not feel the same. Power is way down (especially with my Cayenne diesel), fuel economy is down, AdBlue usage is way up, idle is rough, engine is noisy.

I talked to a lawyer, and his answer was "the rest of the world is busy sueing VW. You have to wait to take your turn, since you didn't sue them when scandal first broke"

Is it now our turn to sue them over this terrible fix? This fix has given nothing but trouble, and had I known it would be such a mess I would have acted differently.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
We have two 2.0 Passats (one G2, one G3) and absolutely no detectable issues whatsoever, and don't really notice any change in mileage. Throttle response is a lot smoother - no more jackrabbit starts off the line from a minor touch of the pedal, and the same overall power.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 2015 Beetle has been fixed with no discernible changes at all. If you are wanting to sue VW you might as well start a trust for your great grand children. It is going to be a while.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Your Passat suffers from potentially not being correctly fixed, with the car using less adblue than needed to comply with emissions regulations.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=493888

So maybe your car isn't actually fixed, and thus it's driving how it was before VW touched it.
Nope, one 2015 bought NOS fixed and one 2013 taken in for fix by us. The only diff is the smoother throttle response, confiming a change. *Zero* other issues . . .

Perhaps a part of this is that I am not looking for a problem where there may not be one . . . IE no HUTA syndrome . . .

There shouldn't (at least on the 2.0) be much if any change unless something went wrong. That, and 90 gripes out of tens of thousands is statistically insignificant . . . I can't speak to the 3.0 . . .

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
True, there’s going to have to be more than 90 complaints on a continent to get anywhere.
If any industry had only a 0.1% failure rate, they’d be ecstatic.
But that’s the point of this thead. Right?
Maybe there’s more out there, and if they are there, maybe this thread can bring them forth.
Personally I’m baffled that the 3.0 owners were not offered a buyback. But then again I don’t really matter.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I am baffled anyone was offered a buyback and not just an update as agreed to by the government. Buying back all those cars was such a waste of resources it should even make the green crowd mad. Such a small percentage of cars emitting such a tiny amount over the limit only sometimes seems such a trivial thing to cost multi billions for. Yeah I know they lied but the billions of dollars spent did little to nothing to actually remedy the situation. Only filled the government, lawyers and complainers pockets with some cash. Meanwhile the vast majority have been tweaked a little and resold still not meeting the original limits. Probably would have had better luck just banning all diesel cars sales from now on, that's what they really want anyway.

Last edited:

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
Instead of tuning or undoing the terrible fix (how will the car pass emissions check?), VW should buyback or come up with a better solution.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh, trivially? No MIL, and it's a pass, as per the court docs . . . There is also no legal requirement to have the fix done, and any state that took $$$ from the settlement waived the right to fail unfixed cars. (Sounds like you have a lot of catch-up reading to do . . . )

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Because I trust unknown "Dirk" to revert my ecu back to prefix condition. What if Dirk fries your ecu?
What if Malone fries your ecu or Norton fries your computer? You own shares from them?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well Malone isn't unknown and has plenty of past experience backing him(them) up. Same with Norton only they also have big dollars backing them up. Dirk seems to have no history or financial backups I can find. Might be a good guy, might not. I will let you deal with him.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG

My issues with the fix:
1. Lost 4-5mpg. Power feels the same.
2. The inside of my tailpipe was clean from 7400 when I bought it, to 162k or 164k when I had the fix performed. I noticed around 190k that the inside of my tailpipe is completely black. Now, I don’t know what that means, but....

I will be un-fixing it as soon as the warranty is up.

Hasn’t been all bad though. I got $5100, a new intake manifold, a new tandem fuel pump, coverage for the HPFP until my next timing belt job at which point I’ll do CP3 upgrade, and a smokin’ deal on a fixed wagen.
So I’m not mad. I’m just finding the positives and rolling with it.
That’s my mileage.
You need to go see a dealer and get your DPF (and maybe more) replaced under the extended warranty. My JSW had the same issue (black tailpipe) a few thousand miles after the fix: cracked DPF and EGR cooler replaced free of charge. If I remember correctly, they gave me an Atlas as a loaner: interesting ride, but what a boat! Barely fit into my parking spot.

My diesel mileage was exactly the same after the fix as for the last year before the fix.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Well Malone isn't unknown and has plenty of past experience backing him(them) up. Same with Norton only they also have big dollars backing them up. Dirk seems to have no history or financial backups I can find. Might be a good guy, might not. I will let you deal with him.
Shooting the messenger, ever heard of that? Did you ask the guy "what if" and see if he covers it?

You are making assumptions and scared of straying from the beaten path and the fact you are still using junk like Norton is testament to that.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
The cbc article quoted by the OP states:

On Friday (assuming Jan 18, 2019), she received a notice from the company saying it is updating the extended emissions warranty to owners of 2009-2015 2.0L TDI and 2009-2016 3.0L TDI vehicles.
The updated warranty has expanded coverage to include the heater core and certain other emission-related parts.
The notice says "as a result, repairs not previously covered may now be included in the extended warranty."

Has anyone received notice from VW about expanding the scope of what is covered under the extended emissions warranty? I have not received anything from VW Canada.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
The cbc article quoted by the OP states:

On Friday (assuming Jan 18, 2019), she received a notice from the company saying it is updating the extended emissions warranty to owners of 2009-2015 2.0L TDI and 2009-2016 3.0L TDI vehicles.
The updated warranty has expanded coverage to include the heater core and certain other emission-related parts.
The notice says "as a result, repairs not previously covered may now be included in the extended warranty."

Has anyone received notice from VW about expanding the scope of what is covered under the extended emissions warranty? I have not received anything from VW Canada.

Yes, here is a cut and paste of the email.

Subject: Update to the Extended Emissions Warranty provided with the Approved Emissions Modification for Volkswagen Model Year 2009-2015 2.0L TDI and Model Year 2009-2016 3.0L TDI

Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,

This letter replaces the one you received in January 2019.

As previously noted, you may have received a notice that Volkswagen Group received approval from U.S. regulators, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for an emissions modification to address emissions system issues affecting certain Volkswagen TDI vehicles. This emissions modification was offered to the Canadian market free of charge. Our records show that you have previously been, or are currently, the owner or lessee of a TDI vehicle that received the emissions modification. If you owned or leased the vehicle before it received the emissions modification, please disregard this letter.

As a result of the emissions modification being performed on your vehicle (whether by you or someone else), Volkswagen extended the Emissions Control System Warranty that covers the entire emissions control system of your vehicle, including (1) any and all components replaced as part of the emissions modification, and (2) any component which can reasonably be impacted by effects of the emissions modification. Your Volkswagen dealer will diagnose and replace eligible components, as necessary, at no cost to you as long as the vehicle remains within the time and mileage limits of this warranty extension. Information about the time and mileage limits of your warranty extension is available at www.vw.ca/tdiwarranty.

The purpose of this letter is to inform you that, in accordance with regulatory approvals, the list of components covered by this warranty extension has been updated to include certain emissions-related parts and, in some cases, the heater core. The heater core may be covered by the warranty extension in the case of (1) 2.0L TDI vehicles with a Generation 1 engine (i.e., VW Jetta 2009-2014, VW Beetle 2013-2014, VW Jetta Wagon 2009, VW Golf 2010-2013 and VW Golf Wagon 2010-2014), or (2) as to other 2.0L and 3.0L TDI vehicles if it is the cause of a check engine light or diagnostic trouble code.

As a result, repairs not previously covered may now be included in the extended warranty’s coverage and, if included, eligible for reimbursement.

If, after the emissions modification was performed on your vehicle, you incurred out-of-pocket expenses for a heater core repair as described above or an emissions-related part repair and would like to request reimbursement:

1. Please provide legible copies of receipts, invoices and/or repair orders and keep the originals for your records. Documents will not be returned. Documentation must include:

a. The name and address of the person who paid for the repair.

b. The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of the repaired vehicle.

c. A description of the problem and what repair was done, and the name, address and phone number of the repair facility that performed the work.

d. Proof of payment for the repair and the date payment was made (copy of cheque, bank statement, etc.).

2. Please sign and complete the below, and return with the required documentation:

By signing here, I confirm that the statements made in support of my reimbursement request are true and the accompanying documents are actual copies reflecting the actual expense(s) incurred.

Customer’s Signature:

E-Mail:
vwcanada.inquiry@vw.ca

Mail:
Volkswagen Group Canada Inc.
Attn: TDI Extended Emissions Warranty Reimbursement
777 Bayly St. W., Ajax, ON, L1S 7G7, Canada

Please note:

• Your claim will be reviewed within 60 days of receipt, unless otherwise notified. If your claim is approved, you will receive a cheque from Volkswagen Group Canada. Reimbursement may be limited to the amount the repair would cost if it had been completed by an authorized Volkswagen dealer in Canada.

• If your claim is incomplete, we will contact you and offer you the opportunity to provide additional documentation to support your claim.

• If your claim is denied, we will contact you with the reason(s) for the denial.

* * *​
If you have any questions regarding this notice please contact Customer CARE at 1-800-822-8987 or vwcarecanada@vw.ca.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
Thanks Peytron. I have not yet done the phase 2 mod on my 2015 GSW, which is probably why I haven't received the updated warranty info.

BCTOUAREG

TDI
2014 Touareg 3.0 TDI
FYI for others on the thread, I had an appointment (end Jan 2019) to get the Emissions Fix done (2014 Touareg TDI 3.0). The Dealership called just before I went in and advised the parts had been recalled. They cancelled the appt. and said they would reschedule the fix at some future date (TBD). Not sure what this means. But perhaps (hopefully) this recall will fix the issues people are describing in the CBC article ^^.