Trading in your VW TDI? What will be your next car

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
I would like an opinion from people in the know. If VW offers a substantial discount to stay I would consider 3 VW R-line Tiguan, R-Line Passat, R-Line CC. If VW just does the buy back and the compenstation. I am going to buy an Acura ILX, a Honda Civic or maybe a Mazda 3 Hatch. I would like to hear what people think of the Passat and the CC. Thanks

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I would like an opinion from people in the know. If VW offers a substantial discount to stay I would consider 3 VW R-line Tiguan, R-Line Passat, R-Line CC. If VW just does the buy back and the compenstation. I am going to buy an Acura ILX, a Honda Civic or maybe a Mazda 3 Hatch. I would like to hear what people think of the Passat and the CC. Thanks
The Passat is a decent car. If they offered a sizable incentive...I'd consider one.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I'll be "trading" my Golf for a Jetta Sport. The Passat may be "Traded" for an SUV or maybe for another Passat (it is my wife's car). All dependant on the deal offered of course. 2 more days until we wait some more for a definitive answer! ;)

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
As far as anyone knows, you're in the mix. As to how far, or what the outcome is going to be for each model / model year, no one knows yet. It's quite likely we will know more on Tuesday. For Canada, YMMV......
Hey Rico, thanks for your input. Just not sure what YMMV stands for ? Year,make,model vehicle ?

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
Make sure to drive the civic at high speeds and on a bumpy road before signing the papers. The one I test drove a few years ago was awful for road noise, not in the same class as a Passat. Maybe new model is better.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Make sure to drive the civic at high speeds and on a bumpy road before signing the papers. The one I test drove a few years ago was awful for road noise, not in the same class as a Passat. Maybe new model is better.
Why not compare apples and apples? The Accord is the same class car as the Passat, as Civic is to Jetta.

DUBPL8

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 CW Golf TDi, '92 Honda Civic VX (wrecked), '96 Honda Civic CX hatchback (non-TDI)
Going back to the JDM world.

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT
I'll be snagging a new GTI Autobahn w/Performance Pack. After my partner got a 2013 GTI I realized how cheaply my Jetta was built and can't stand it. The constant rattles from the engine vibration are horrible.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
I'll be snagging a new GTI Autobahn w/Performance Pack. After my partner got a 2013 GTI I realized how cheaply my Jetta was built and can't stand it. The constant rattles from the engine vibration are horrible.
Same here.....but the thought of a GLI came around. You never thought of just switching to a GLI?

IAmTodd

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL 6MT
Same here.....but the thought of a GLI came around. You never thought of just switching to a GLI?
I've considered it at length and I like the GTI interior more, the VAQ diff is also a big selling point, and the larger brakes. I haven't sat in a 2016 GLI but I'm worried the same build construction and materials will be a carry over from my current Jetta.

EDIT - Plus leather, I'm not the biggest fan of V-Tex.

Last edited:

bateau

TDI
2013 JSW TDI DSG/Pano
We got a 2013 Sportwagen TDI. It's been a great car, but wife wants AWD (got tired of chirping tires on uphill driveway). We're looking forward to a 2017 Golf Alltrack.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I guess I am a glutton for punishment. And I actually like my VW-Chevrolet dealer, which also services my Corvette. So I am considering a 2017 Alltrack. I really need AWD in my primary car here, and some cargo space for moving larger things around....like set of four mounted tires.

I have a feeling that, instead of giving me a couple of checks and a buyback, and never seeing me ever again, VW will be offering killer "goodwill" deals to keep us in the VW family. So why not give it a shot?

Mammoth

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
2017 Golf AllTrack

If I have to sell back my dearly beloved JSW TDI, I'm thinking this might be it:

http://media.vw.com/release/1165/

6-speed manual transmission coming, and apparently this time they won't keep it restricted to the lowest trim level...VW rep replied to my email inquiry: "I am pretty sure the manual will be available on Alltrack SE. Production starts on the manual at the end of this year, so cars will be in dealerships in early 2017."

jheen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2012 TDI Sedan
Already purchased my 2008 Grand Cherokee with the Mercedes Diesel Engine/Transmission. Soon to DPF delete and chip and will be getting 24-26 MPG. Will be spewing much more than 40X than the current EPA limit, but hey...gov't should be happy my dirty VW diesel is off the road.

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Just helped my daughter purchase a 2014 low mileage Camry. Pretty impressed with that car.

My Passat TDI wins the highway mile competition, but she crushes me in city driving. I now do mostly city driving.

I'll look hard at the Camry....see if I can find a nice used 2015 Hybrid Accord...and perhaps consider a GM Canyon Diesel. We have a camper to pull and I could eliminate the 2004 Ram I keep in the driveway for just that purpose. I swore I'd never give GM another dime though...pulling the trigger on that truck would be tough.

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
depending on how things pan out, i'll end up in a 2015 mustang GT.
lol.. me to.. if I have to give the car back I think I will take the cash and buy an older TDI cash in hand and go and buy a mustang that way I get my hotrod back if I can swing it I will shoot for a gt500.. but at the end of the day my wallet is pretty good at "hoe checking" me when I start dreaming.. so maybe still a 5.0 lol

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
My initial thoughts are this: I don't think VW will get a CARB and EPA approved fix with the NA cars involving more than software needed to be fixed without seriously affecting performance or mileage, plus I have the timing belt change coming up, a cracked DPF filter, and the looming possibility of HPFP failure: with my buyback value and reimbursement hopefully together ranging in a ballpark of $20k, since I can't afford the Volvo s90 yet...I'll probably settle for a BMW 328i; should be able to buy a 12-13 model without having a car payment as I'm accustom to with the 2012 TDI. In the meantime I'll probably drive the Jetta another year and a half until my tags are up and then move on.

Last edited:

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
Been thinking a lot about:
2016/17 VW GTI SE DSG PP/LP,
2014/15 BMW 328d Xdrive,
2008/9 MB E320 Bluetec
2014/15 MB GLK 250 Bluetec
2014/15 MB E250 Bluetec

Organdonor

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan 6MT
What do you think VW will be giving us for incentives to buy another VW if we sell back out TDI's?

I'm totally willing to go with a Golf Sportwagon, but I'm wondering what they'll be offering to keep us in the VW family.

ajlockfeld

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG Pano Silver/Anth
Next vehicle after trading in TDI

Actually will be downsizing the fleet, so also trading in the 2005 Tacoma 4WD Doublecab Longbed in addition to selling the JSW back to VW.

Picking up the new rig in Kellogg, ID next month: a Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD Crew Cab Long bed with 3.0L "Ecodiesel":rolleyes: and "Four Corner Air Suspension":rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also getting the Four Wheel Camper "Hawk" pop-up camper to go on the Ram and heading for the hills.:D Yikes, an Italian light diesel engine with DEF - wish me luck!:eek:

Last edited:

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
It is a tough decision for me. I would like to have good fuel economy and AWD.
The girlfriend is the one driving the JSW and she is thinking she wants an Outback.
My commute might change from 11 to 60 miles each way, so I might take the wagen back, but I will want AWD for the driveway to the shop and the hill to my house, since it is a nightmare in the winter.
Fuel economy on gassers has improved a lot, so the potential list is growing.

The list price they will give for the 'wagen is okay, but I haven't seen the mileage adjustment yet. I might wait until just about the end of the program to sell it back. I am hoping the mileage doesn't depreciate the car too much. Especially an additional two years of mileage. Right now I am really on the fence, since the flywheel needs to be replaced. I haven't decided if I should spend that money or not.
Actually, I wonder what the buyback details are: If it doesn't specify condition I might not replace the flywheel and when it goes I'll sell it back.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I will most likely go back to a Dodge. Other than my 2 Passats, I have never owned anything other than a dodge. I get a family discount on Chrysler. I will take a hit in mileage for sure, but performance might be fun for a change. Wife currently has a 2015 Dodge Durango. We have really liked it. Leased a 2012 Durango previously.

I used to have a 2006 Dodge Magnum, I really miss. So, maybe a 392 Dodge SRT Charger. Like the body of Challenger more, but have a family, drive in winter, so need practicality.

miniion26

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mercedes E320 CDI
I also have a slight urge to get something with performance. Ill be 44 in less than 2 months and I have never owned any kind of cool performance type car. Never had a mustang or camaro, never owned a BMW or performance Benz, No sports cars of any kind... I do have a slight itch to possibly get a 5.0 mustang or a BMW 335i or something along those lines. So who knows....
I have the same urge, having owned MB's before.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
Tough Descision....

My 09' will probably go by by. To risky living in CA to expect a fix that doesn't kill the mileage and performance. Long term reliability even with an extended warranty doesn't sweaten the deal either.

I like the handling, fit/finish and performance of my 09' and will miss it. I'll probably keep on trucking in my 04' as long as it keeps going.

One car I do like is the Audi A3, aside for the need of premium fuel only.

Last edited: