Dealer makes ultra low offer?

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
Trying to get my wife into a TDI but she went to far over her lease miles on a Civic to make it work with low payments. But while we are there at the VW dealer, the salesman says to me that they can't keep any used TDI's for more than a couple of days and why don't I trade in mine.
Well I drove the Jetta 2010 and wowed at the power and the transmission. Of course I want it. So I ask, "How much will you give me for my 2002 excellent condition 119k miles all maintenance up to date and nothing owed on it."

They offered me $3700? Isn't that ultra low or am I missing something?

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Trying to get my wife into a TDI but she went to far over her lease miles on a Civic to make it work with low payments. But while we are there at the VW dealer, the salesman says to me that they can't keep any used TDI's for more than a couple of days and why don't I trade in mine.
Well I drove the Jetta 2010 and wowed at the power and the transmission. Of course I want it. So I ask, "How much will you give me for my 2002 excellent condition 119k miles all maintenance up to date and nothing owed on it."

Thats low ....... listed in the classified section here with some good pictures and a list of service items and see what you get.......

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Luv, welcome to Fred's!

Are you even trying to sell your car or was this just the salesman's excericse for the day :confused:

75r90rider

Veteran Member
TDI
quite a few diesels over the years
That seems low. That being said:

Basically, a trade from an individual is worth whatever the dealer would pay for the same car at the auction. In other words, if someone wants to trade a 2003 New Beetle in, for instance, the dealer can look at a Manheim Market Report and look at all similar Beetles that have sold recently at most major auto auctions across the USA. You can filter for geographic area, trim level, miles, color, etc, and you can get a real good idea of actual wholesale values that cars actually brought at auction.

For instance, if someone did a national auction search on a 2002 Jetta similar to yours, they might turn up a bunch of responses to the query. Now, if 100 cars similar to yours sold recently at auction for $5000, then a $3700 trade bid would be low. Now, you can't fault them for asking, I guess. You might be crazy enough to take their offer. However, you don't get anywhere by completely insulting your clients, so your initial offer should be in the realm of reason, and you leave yourself some negotiating room up from there.

Obviously, your opinion of the local market, your personal inspection of the car, service records, etc, all bear into what you are willing to invest in a trade in unit as the sales manager. Basically, you ask yourself what can I sell this for, what does this person want for the trade, and what will I have to invest into the car to get it lot ready. Add to this a profit margin, because you are running a business.

In your case, you have a relatively unique car. A MMR on your car might not turn up a million hits. There might be a limited number of cars similar to yours that sold nationally at any given time. Now, you take a 2007 Ford Focus, and there will be a zillion hits. Someone comes into the store wanting $10k in trade for their Focus, and a Manheim report shows that 1500 of them sold last week at an average auction price of $5500, then, well, the market value of that Focus is pretty much $5500 on trade no matter how much the person wants $10k, and no matter what Kelley Blue Book says the car is worth or any other ivory tower website that doesn't actually show hard cash transaction data.

Anyway, you may have known some or all of this, I just posted it in the event you weren't sure how trades are basically evaluated at car dealerships. The bottom line is, the store is going to take your car, put some money in it to get it lot ready, and want to make money selling it. This means you are going to get wholesale value in exchange for your convenience of not having to mess around with selling it. In essence, the store takes the risk, and you walk away from your trade. It becomes their problem. Depending on what you are trading, it might make sense to dump it and make it their problem and get a low trade number, or it might make sense to sell your car yourself and reap the benefits of a car with good resale and high interest from buyers.

Trading a relatively rare and sought after car like yours often makes no sense. They often bring nice private party sale values, sell easily, and accepting a wholesale bid from a dealer is going to mean you take a hit. The dealer has to look at trades from a glass half empty standpoint. Worst case scenario, if they for some reason get no hits on your car, what can they dump it at the auction and get for it. That is what they'll give you. The more desirable your car, the more risk they will be willing to assume and the more they will allow you on trade. A better car will make them think, gee, this is hot property, we really want it. They will give you more. This only works up to a point, though. Basically, you're almost always better off, for obvious reasons, selling your car yourself. This applies even more to unique cars like TDIs.

In your case, their logic is probably something like this: we give the guy $3700. We invest, on average, say $500 on all our trades to get them lot ready. So using that rough number, we are at $4200. We have to pay a salesperson $100 in commission to sell it, so we are now breaking even if we sell it at $4300. They might have left some room to wiggle with you in the initial number, say $500. So, assuming they eventually wiggle up to $4300, add the average $500 recon cost, and a $100 commission they are at $4900 break even. They sell the car for $5900 on the lot and make $1000 all said and done.

Now, I've been out of the business for a while, and have no idea what cars like yours are presently bringing at wholesale auction or retail sale being 8 or 9 years old with 120k on them. But whatever the retail number they think they can get is, take $1000 profit off, take $500 recon off, take $100 commission off, and there should be roughly the number that would be a fair offer on your car. If you think your car could retail for $8000, then $6000-6500 range would probably be a reasonable trade bid. Again, they are not going to start negotiating with you at $6k. They will do this mental math, start at $4500 or $5k, and see if you take it before eventually working up to $6-ish or $6500.

My numbers are all made up, but this should explain the process in admittedly a longwinded manner.

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
Thanks for the wonderful replies. I am in Boulder Co. where lots of people get the value of a TDI. Just one more little nudge of a good reason to go back in debt and I will sell this myself and then go hand the dealer a big down payment hoping they will give me more than the original $600 off the sticker price.
Many thanks again.

Last edited:

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
Luv, welcome to Fred's!

Are you even trying to sell your car or was this just the salesman's excericse for the day :confused:
It had not even crossed my mind to sell my TDI as it runs better than any one of the other 13 autos I have owned prior to this one. It is fun to work on and is easy to find help, thanks to this site, so that I can do most the repairs myself.
But like I said, after driving the new 2010 with its outrageous transmission and amazing power I want one. It also sells with 0 interest added on.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
That seems low. That being said:

Basically, a trade from an individual is worth whatever the dealer would pay for the same car at the auction......
This has become the practice for all the dealerships around me. They will only offer you what they can get immediately at the auction for your trade in. They will even tell you that on the spot. It does not matter what KBB will show or NADA will show for a trade in value.

The other side of that coin is when those same dealerships will then list and advertise the "kbb" retail price of a used car as their selling price (proudly stating the same). It is done to suggest that they are being fair ---- which of course is bullsh*t. I have had a few acrimonious conversations about what it must have cost the used car network to get kbb to whore in such fashion for them (i.e making up that relatively new classification). I then follow up with with asking them what today's auction value of that vehicle is + what they believe a reasonable markup should be. For some reason, they believe that that door only swings one way..... did I remember to call them whores?

Trading in a vehicle to a dealer is a time convenience, i.e you are sacrificing money to save time because selling a car privately is a PITA. Sadly, selling a car privately is typically the only way that you will get anywhere near what it is worth.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
"I will sell this myself and then go hand the dealer a big down payment hoping they will give me more than the original $600 off the sticker price."

Have you considered selling it here and buying your new car from one of the vendors here? Have you compared some of the new car offers here compared to your dealer. A long cross country drive in your new car would be a nice way to get acquainted especially if you save a few dollars in the process.

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
"Have you considered selling it here and buying your new car from one of the vendors here? Have you compared some of the new car offers here compared to your dealer. A long cross country drive in your new car would be a nice way to get acquainted especially if you save a few dollars in the process."
No my mistake. Being that I had not really considered selling the car before now and being that Boulder is high demand for TDI's. It seems like a lot of extra t's to cross to sell my car long distance over the internet.
Also I had not realized that new car vendors were available here. I shall check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions. Got to say though, when I slept on the idea of making car payments again I'm having second thoughts. The last dip in the economy is still hitting me where it hurts.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I watch the posts here and I don't get it. Has your TDI been basically trouble free? I traded my 97 Sentra and got my TDI for one reason only, I wanted a diesel wagon. There was a lot of emotion involved, not a lot of logic. Knowing that full well, I went ahead and bought. However, I was very wrong to trade the Sentra.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray

We really do not discuss it too much here, but a dealer has the ability to make more money on a used car deal. Indeed that is his job. That being said, it is best to sell (the 2002 Honda Civic) privately.

I have a 2004 Civic with 112,000 miles. It is a keeper out to a minimum of (4 timing belt/wp changes) 440,000 miles. Why would you want to sell the 2002 Honda Civic that is in ..."my 2002 excellent condition 119k miles all maintenance up to date and nothing owed on it."?" ...

Last edited:

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
I watch the posts here and I don't get it. Has your TDI been basically trouble free? I traded my 97 Sentra and got my TDI for one reason only, I wanted a diesel wagon. There was a lot of emotion involved, not a lot of logic. Knowing that full well, I went ahead and bought. However, I was very wrong to trade the Sentra.
I had some trouble, but by fixing the troubles myself I found out that they were small problems. I also like working on my car and learning more of what makes it go. Of course as an extra bonus I know exactly what has been done to it and not.
Sorry about your woes.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
When I went to look at new 'o9 TDI's, the dealer offered me $4K for my very clean 2002 Golf with 94K on it. I sold it on eBay for $9,500 in one week. Buyer wired me the funds and sent a transport to pick it up.

I ended up buying the Passat instead of a new Jetta. No HPFP but got a Balance Shaft job instead:rolleyes:. I've had the Passat 54,000 miles. So far, so good.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Welcome to the tdiclub. You list a 2005 Jetta wagon with an average mpg of 48. Obviously, your Sentra did not get that kindov of mileage. Not exactly sure what problems you are having, but generically (and IMHO), the people that get into trouble with tdi's are people who:

1. Let the dealership service the cars;
2. Have no clue how to work on these cars, yet attempt to do it themselves anyhow and with none of the required tools;
3. Mess around with stuff well above their pay grade (i.e. try to change a Timing Belt).

The PD vehicle you own has some generic weak links (cam/lobe/oil issues). Otherwise it is a pretty solid vehicle. My advice would be to learn howto do the routine stuff and leave the "you get one shot to do it right or your engine is Tooefed stuff" to a Guru.

As far as any used vehicle is concerned, there are two kindov prior owners, (1) those that serviced their cars and (2) those that didn't/didn't do it right. If you bought one off of someone who didn't or didn't do it correctly (which is the majority of prior owners unfortunately), you get to pay extra for their sins (which I am sure they did not deduct from their asking price to ya).

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
it is best to sell your (2002 Honda Civic) privately. Why would you want to sell the 2002 Honda Civic?...
Just to keep it clear, my wife has a leased 08 civic which we now might buy and sell so that I can find her a used TDI 05 or newer, as neither her nor I want to be making the big monthly payments on the new one.
I have a 02 Jetta TDI which runs better now than it did at 50k and I thought it was great then.
If you get the chance to drive one of the 2010 Jetta's with the six-speed Tiptronic automatic transmissions I am pretty sure you will share my enthusiasm for the ride.
But being able to dish out the bucks??? Thats another bump in the road that I am presently figuring out how best to route.

Luvatdi

TDI
2002 Jetta sedan A4 TDI
When I went to look at new 'o9 TDI's, the dealer offered me $4K for my very clean 2002 Golf with 94K on it. I sold it on eBay for $9,500 in one week. Buyer wired me the funds and sent a transport to pick it up.
I ended up buying the Passat instead of a new Jetta. No HPFP but got a Balance Shaft job instead:rolleyes:. I've had the Passat 54,000 miles. So far, so good.
Thats a great story with a happy ending.... motivational. Which reminds me, I bought my TDI on the internet, low miles and they just happened to be coming to Colorado from Kansas for vacation. They met me 15 minutes from my house.
90k later and could not be more pleased with this car.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Thats a great story with a happy ending.... motivational. Which reminds me, I bought my TDI on the internet, low miles and they just happened to be coming to Colorado from Kansas for vacation. They met me 15 minutes from my house.
90k later and could not be more pleased with this car.
Great story also!;)

One thing I have learned through many years of buying and selling cars is that a clean, well maintained, desirable car is easy to sell privately.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
Problems?

Welcome to the tdiclub. You list a 2005 Jetta wagon with an average mpg of 48. Obviously, your Sentra did not get that kindov of mileage. Not exactly sure what problems you are having, but generically (and IMHO), the people that get into trouble with tdi's are people who:

Very sorry, bad wording on my part. My Jetta has been basically trouble free since I learned to keep it away from dealers and find a trusted guru. My point was that I could not see trading in a good 2002 TDI for a new one and that I was kinda dumb to have traded my Sentra instead of selling it privately. 38 mpg was not uncommon on the Sentra. It was a very good little car.

I like my Jetta wagon, it has been the kind of car I wanted ever since I bought it. I built my office the same year and found a I can fit a board up to 9 feet long in it. The roominess is incredible for such high mpgs.

I only had one major problem and that was the service department at a nameless Vancouver, WA VW dealership. At 5,000 miles they fixed a minor oil leak by replacing the engine, keeping my car for a full month to do it. Believe it or not, the new engine had a minor leak, which they told me was normal. I finally took it to Hanson Motors in Olympia, WA, where they told me the valve cover was not properly tightened. So, put down Hanson Motors in Olympia as a dealership that seems pretty good, but I still prefer to trust my car to the guru in Portland, OR.

Anyway, I was just trying to say, keep the old TDI, or sell it privately.

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
What would you expect the dealer to offer you? They don't keep the lights on by knocking down the new price and giving private party value on trades.

I'm looking at a 2011 and for fun I ask them what my rusty 2002 with 275K miles on it is worth.... $2200 is the highest I've got right now.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
Lets not forget that in some states the trade in value is deducted from the sales price and you pay sales tax on the difference.