Hesitation/Pulsation Issue . . .

Red Sox Nation

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 manual Jetta Sedan
I was wondering if anyone else was noticing this;

In third gear, around 35 MPH, with the RPMs right around 2k, just cruising on flat ground, within 10 minutes after start-up, I've been noticing what seems to be either a pulse feeling from the motor, or hesitation. It almost feels like the motor loses power for a split second.

Has anyone else felt this, or have any clue what it may be a sign of?

Thanks in advance...

NickBeek

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI 2006 Dodge Ram
Yup mine is the same way. Sometimes a little more noticeable sometimes a little less.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Yah same here...i had it a couple times feel like big air pockets were in the fuel line.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It only happens when the engine is cold and when you are barely pressing on the accelerator pedal. The "problem" pretty much goes away if you just give it a little more fuel. In other words; just accelerate briskly through that 1800 to 2200 rpm range and you won't notice it. Unfortunately, this is normal with the 2009+ TDIs.

Have Fun!

Don

Keith63

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium; 1974 Karmin Ghia; 1973 Super Beetle
Here is the story:

Traveled 4.5 hours from my residence (Murray, Ky to Lexington, KY) average temp on trip 27f. 2012 Jetta TDI (Automatic DSG) 235,000 miles well maintained and on maintenance schedule. Parked the car for about 10 minutes after the drive. Got back in and TDI started right up, pressed on accelerator, TDI shuttered and died. Put the vehicle in neutral and it hesitated to start back up, but it did only to shutter and die again. I coasted to a side street, waited 10 minutes while on phone to local VW dealership. Attempted to start the TDI, it started, but when pressing accelerator it began to hesitate and shutter again, I stomped the accelerator to the floor and grey smoke burst from the pipes. Drove the TDI to the local TDI, they ran a courtesy scan for me which showed no codes. Left the dealership and car ran fine all the way back home.

This has happened once before several months ago, but not as bad. What could be causing this?