Daytime Running Lights out on 1 side

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hello,

2011 VW TDI, around 40,000km

The Passenger front day time running light seems to come loose or something and will turn on during driving (from bumps I guess) But if I hit it lightly with my hand it will turn back on until the car is driven again.

Any idea what is causing this? I have noticed this issue on other cars also.

Thanks

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Double check that the bulb is secure in the socket. But my guess is the DRL bulb has burnt out and the tungsten filament is probably intermittently touching when you tap the headlight lens. It's a pretty standard bulb (1157 I think, but that's a guess), so it's easy to replace. Or you can replace it with an LED bulb and that will last you a long time, though you may encounter some radio interference, especially with distant AM radio stations.

gregert12

Veteran Member
TDI
it is easier to change the bulb (verses swapping sides) to see if it is the bulb or socket going bad.

bluesheepdog

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
The only gripe we've had with our 2013 is it seems to go through headlight & daytime running light bulbs fast. With the Japanese brands I've owned, it seems like the bulbs lasted forever. Must be something with VW's wiring & electrical system.

IndyHop

TDI
2013 Platinum Grey Metallic Jetta TDI, DSG
My LED DRLs did the same thing 3 days ago only when I went to change out the bulb the new one won't work either. I think my car may have a power surge issue.

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
I changed out the DRL's on ours a few days ago with deautokey led's. The factory ones were working fine but the glass of both were burned on inside. The led's are gorgeous and well worth the $45 for us. They really stand out coming down the road and I know our car from any others in this town. As far as being easy to replace? Yeah, maybe the bulb itself, sure. However, unless you have hands the size of a 10yr old, you will end up with bruises and cuts getting in and out of the housing and twisting the fitting into place.

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
I changed out the DRL's on ours a few days ago with deautokey led's. The factory ones were working fine but the glass of both were burned on inside. The led's are gorgeous and well worth the $45 for us. They really stand out coming down the road and I know our car from any others in this town. As far as being easy to replace? Yeah, maybe the bulb itself, sure. However, unless you have hands the size of a 10yr old, you will end up with bruises and cuts getting in and out of the housing and twisting the fitting into place.
+1 put LED DLR in and cut myself up.

bluesheepdog

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI Premium DSG
I had a set of Led's in ours for Drl's, they burned out too. Gave up, went back to Long Life regular bulbs. Good luck

TiggyTDI

TDI
TDI
I had a set of Led's in ours for Drl's, they burned out too. Gave up, went back to Long Life regular bulbs. Good luck
Really? Where did you get yours? I have sets from DeAutokey in our 12 and 13 Jetta's with no problems and they come with a lifetime warranty.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Bringing an old thread up....anyone know?
I have a 2012...just last week the light burned out. Replaced the light bulb with a brand new one and it still doesnt work. Anyone know if there is a "common" area to look for this issue so that I dont waste money or time getting the mechanic to check wiring in the entire car.

Thanks

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
I wonder if the "bulb socket" that holds the bulb is interchangeable from right to left? Seems that would probably be the next cheapest/easiest fix if it is faulty for some reason. Try swapping sides (entire assembly: bulb and socket)... Might get lucky.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
+1 put LED DLR in and cut myself up.
Really? Where did you get yours? I have sets from DeAutokey in our 12 and 13 Jetta's with no problems and they come with a lifetime warranty.
Thank you - and if you do have any issues we have a lifetime warranty so you never have to buy another bulb when you shop with us. :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I wonder if the "bulb socket" that holds the bulb is interchangeable from right to left? Seems that would probably be the next cheapest/easiest fix if it is faulty for some reason. Try swapping sides (entire assembly: bulb and socket)... Might get lucky.
They probably are but most likely you would need a release tool to get the pins out.

Substitution has always been a tried and true troubleshooting technique when practical. Back in the days of vacuum tubes, any tech worth their salt would almost never use a tube tester to check for bad tubes, they would always sub in a known good tube.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thank you - and if you do have any issues we have a lifetime warranty so you never have to buy another bulb when you shop with us. :)
Great to see a vendor that stands behind their product.:cool: Of course the OP's problem might be the socket or wiring.

I will probably buy the no fault back up bulbs for my 2006 Jetta.

deAutoLED.com

Vendor
TDI
2002 jetta TDI
Great to see a vendor that stands behind their product.:cool: Of course the OP's problem might be the socket or wiring.

I will probably buy the no fault back up bulbs for my 2006 Jetta.
Thank you - we appreciate it, we work hard to bring the best products and warranty to our customers which leads to good customer service.

STLvwConvert

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (buyback 8/29/17)
Last edited:

STLvwConvert

TDI
Picking it up tomorrow from dealership ($31) as it was cheaper than ecs/shipping; and $500 goodwill package hasn't been received yet in the mail, but I'll most likely use that up on some other odds and ends.

STLvwConvert

TDI
Thanks Ryan for the advice, saved me $29 bucks from buying a new socket and instead replaced the burnt out 10v fuse....sometimes I forget to check the simple things first!

iamatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta 6 Speed manual
Dang I can't get the driverside DRL out. Came in through wheel well too. Looks like I have to take this whole headlight out what a pita. I just went through this on the same side with the H7 light. This thing really almost makes me lose my patience. I will try with some 90 degree needle nose pliars. I can get a purchase on it but the socket is not turning (counter clockwise)

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Dang I can't get the driverside DRL out. Came in through wheel well too. Looks like I have to take this whole headlight out what a pita. I just went through this on the same side with the H7 light. This thing really almost makes me lose my patience. I will try with some 90 degree needle nose pliars. I can get a purchase on it but the socket is not turning (counter clockwise)

When you install the new bulb put some Dielectric grease on it, it will help to protect it from corroding and make it easier to take out next time.