Every fuel up?
Once a month?
Once every few months?

-Thanks

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Follow the instructions on the bottle. It will be x oz. of additive for y gal. of fuel.
It is best to follow the instructions for any additive in order to obtain the benefits offered.

To answer your question: Every fuel up.

ISurvivedNMU

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I have to be that guy... :)

Most people do not use Diesel Kleen. I say this as I think most people do not use an additive.

Marc_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Use it every fill-up....per the directions....rinse and repeat! :D

You're new here ...so WELCOME!...and go do some reading in the 101 section about your new TDi.
You'll find a lot of good info there, such as debate on lubricity agents for the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump)
and many other great tips/suggestions/experiences.

I won't debate the issue, but instead suggest you make up your own mind 'to use or not to use' a fuel additive.

Happy driving!

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
A measured 4 onces for 12.5 gallons every fill up or it won't really be doing anything.

What it does is makes up somewhat for the poor quality Diesel available in this country. Opinions vary on this.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It isn't poor quality really it is inconsistent quality. The Infineum survey shows that most are way better than US regs require and even that Bosch stipulates to be used for longevity. Probably 95% of the fuel tested was below 400 HFRR. It is the other 5% that may damage your pump, and you never know where that 5% may show up. The percentages used are for example only but make sense. I haven't done the math on the results of the survey.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It isn't poor quality really it is inconsistent quality. The Infineum survey shows that most are way better than US regs require and even that Bosch stipulates to be used for longevity. Probably 95% of the fuel tested was below 400 HFRR. It is the other 5% that may damage your pump, and you never know where that 5% may show up. The percentages used are for example only but make sense. I haven't done the math on the results of the survey.
Same thing really. When it says on the pump, "May contain up to 5% Biodiesel", really means you have no idea how much Biodiesel was added so you have to assume 0% and use a lubricity additive.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
So I bought some DK for my first fuel up. Got a funnel and measuring cup...

Is there a more efficient way?
&
How do I store the used equipment for pouring.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Plastic Container (Tupperware) in the Trunk and at Home in the Garage.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the input. I topped off my first tank, 8 gallons, but for the full tank, i added 6oz of DK.

Hopefully I won't report back for 3-4 weeks! LOL

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
The Infineum study is statistically useless. Window dressing. A sample size of one means absolutely nothing, as there is nothing to compare it to. This study randomly chose a few dozen service stations in different regions of the country (a few dozen out of probably several hundred thousand), and tested the fuel at each location once. How exactly are we supposed to draw any meaningful conclusions from this? We can't.

It was merely a snapshot in time, nothing more, nothing less. You can't even conclude from this study if fuel on the east coast is any better or worse than fuel on the west coast.

The only thing it showed is the extreme variability in fuel quality/consistency, which most people here already suspected.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Any debates on whether additives are best added before or after fueling?

Im thinking next time i add it before fueling up to allow for best mixing in the tank... and i had trouble adding it last time, the funnel wouldn't unlock the nozzle valve and i had to gently pour it in through the openings of the valve.

I mentioned I'm using the measuring cup and funnel, any other better ideas? this technique seems cheesy, especially when people look at me like *** is this guy doing!?!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Im thinking next time i add it before fueling up to allow for best mixing in the tank...
^This^ is the correct way.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for all the responses, as this is all new, I was unaware of the "check" flaps that lock the valve in place, and would a larger funnel open the flaps? mine is a small funnel, or is it fine pouring into the openings of the valve?

ALSO, any ideas for the bottles? they sound much simpler, but am having trouble finding something feasible

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for all the responses, as this is all new, I was unaware of the "check" flaps that lock the valve in place, and would a larger funnel open the flaps? mine is a small funnel, or is it fine pouring into the openings of the valve?

ALSO, any ideas for the bottles? they sound much simpler, but am having trouble finding something feasible
You could try these bottles:
http://www.carolina.com/catalog/det..._gl_products&gclid=CNCBxs-Tp8ACFStk7Aod3h0AJg

Couldn't you use that in conjunction with the truck fuel nozzle adapter that comes with the car?

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Unless its in a hidden compartment in the trunk, I don't know of such a thing...

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
The sales person who helped me re-assured me of hitting him up for anything i may need, perhaps I should send him a text as he said and ask about it?

Also, funny enough, maybe an owners manual too, as it came with the quick start guide and the carnet papers in the plastic bag, but i didn't see the big chunky manual?? LOL

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, they owe you both owner's manual and the adapter.

JonLla84

Veteran Member
TDI
Im going to head out in a few and will rummage through the trunk to see if anything is back there, one thing i found was a lovely first aid kit.... sounds so useful..... LOL

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I didn't get a first aid kit. I had to ask for the owners manual as it was not in the car. Didn't think to ask for the fueling adapter.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Mine happens after fueling. I quit carrying around the additive in the trunk, as it always made the car smell. Even inside of tupperware, inside of zip locks, etc. So, I fill up and add it when I get home.

Im thinking next time i add it before fueling up to allow for best mixing in the tank... and i had trouble adding it last time, the funnel wouldn't unlock the nozzle valve and i had to gently pour it in through the openings of the valve.
I have little plastic bottles that I just squeeze and it shoots in easily around the misfiling guard. Either through the hole in the center or around the edges. I've never had to use anything to actually open the nozzle. Just pour it in, it will go in easily.

I mentioned I'm using the measuring cup and funnel, any other better ideas? this technique seems cheesy, especially when people look at me like *** is this guy doing!?!
I mix it up at home and keep 3-4 bottles pre filled. Once I get back from the station, I just pour it in. Nobody sees or says anything. i just use a funnel and either bottles with marks on them for specific oz's or I use things like the STP Fuel System bottles that are about 6.5 oz. I put the STP into my wife's gas car, rinse out the bottle and let it sit for about a week before I use it.