Question about 2012 Sportwagon heating control level

tnt2k03

TDI
Jetta
Hello All,

I bought a 2012 TDI Sportwagon a month ago. The first day I drove it, and noticed that the temperture control did not remember the setting the next morning, or if I leave it on while drive without the fan turning on, it eventually forget the setting level.

I live in cold area, and normally turn the heating level all the way up leave it there. In the morning, I start up the car and let it warm up, but this car's heater will never get warm up inside car unless, first I have to turn on the fan and turn the heater, or tempurature control nob all the way down and up and again for it to get warm.

Not only that, sometimes I drive and the inside the car gets hot, so I turn off the fan and only let the fresh air comes in from the outside, for a while, there is no heat. Again, I have to do the same like I mention above, in order to get heat inside the car. I don't know if this is a flaw in the design or something wrong with the car. I called the customer car at VW, the person on the phone could not tell anything. I haven't talked to the dealer where I bought the car yet. I try to get some information about the problem before I talk to them.

If anyone knows or had the same problem please let me know. If it is the way it was design, that would be so inconvenient. I wanted to install a remote starter to warm up the car in the winter, but this is not going to work. Many thanks in advance for any in put or information.

Best Regards,

TNT:confused:

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Hello All,

I bought a 2012 TDI Sportwagon a month ago. The first day I drove it, and noticed that the temperture control did not remember the setting the next morning, or if I leave it on while drive without the fan turning on, it eventually forget the setting level.

I live in cold area, and normally turn the heating level all the way up leave it there. In the morning, I start up the car and let it warm up, but this car's heater will never get warm up inside car unless, first I have to turn on the fan and turn the heater, or tempurature control nob all the way down and up and again for it to get warm.

Not only that, sometimes I drive and the inside the car gets hot, so I turn off the fan and only let the fresh air comes in from the outside, for a while, there is no heat. Again, I have to do the same like I mention above, in order to get heat inside the car. I don't know if this is a flaw in the design or something wrong with the car. I called the customer car at VW, the person on the phone could not tell anything. I haven't talked to the dealer where I bought the car yet. I try to get some information about the problem before I talk to them.

If anyone knows or had the same problem please let me know. If it is the way it was design, that would be so inconvenient. I wanted to install a remote starter to warm up the car in the winter, but this is not going to work. Many thanks in advance for any in put or information.

Best Regards,

TNT:confused:
Might want to try a different forum, the sedan has a different HVAC system than the JSW I believe.

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I read something similar on the A6 Golf/JSW forum - I think that is how it works - something with the climatic.

In regards to idling the car to warm up interior during the winter don't do. If it is cold enough you'll be there for hours. Instead, start it up, buckle up adjust what ever needs to be adjusted, crank up seat warmers (if so equipped) and off you go. There is an auxiliary heater that will start working and blow luke warm air and the engine itself will warm up quicker.

On cold enough days I have noticed my car going into the warmup regen to heat up DPF quicker - this just washes the cylinders down with fuel more often, so the quicker you start driving to warm up the DPF the better.