Timing belt replacement cost?

Black Dung Beetle

TDI
2011 White Golf TDI
My 04 Golf just hit 95,000 miles so I would like to get the timing belt changed. I went to my local dealer in Bellevue, washington and they quoted me $1100 to $1200. I told him that sounded kinda high and he said they also replaced the idler, water pump, and some pulley. Is this neccessary?

I just moved to Kirkland, Washington and need a good mechanic.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
You've got some very qualified TDI go-to people out your way. Maybe the cost is around $800 today. Yes, there are many components that MUST be replaced.

STAY AWAY FROM VW DEALERS!

Welcome aboard, Mr Dung!

drrandall1

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Find a mechanic here and go to dieselgeek.com and get the whole package(water pump, etc) and have it all installed for $800 or less

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Yes, you do need to replace the idler, tensioner, water pump, and a couple of bolts in addition to the belt(s)... (the dealers don't usually replace the bolts !!!!!!)

UserID "Matthew_S" http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=42185 runs ZahnTech Import Automotive in Redmond, and we're all familiar with the high quality of work he provides...

This isn't one of those jobs where price or convenience should be the overriding concern... get it done RIGHT...

All the best,

Yuri.

PS: most shops prefer to supply their own parts, so take the recommendation to buy your own with a grain of salt - or after checking with the mechanic...

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
EDIT: Yuri beat me to it.

Keep in mind that the list of Trusted Mechanics could be out of date or no longer valid. Mechanics move on, shops change hands...things change. There have been instances of "Trusted" mechanics not living up to that designation.

I did some searching around in the regional forums and it looks like Matthew at ZahnTech in Redmond is kind of the trusted "go-to" guy around that area. I've never been to the area, but it looks like he might be closer than someone in Seattle as well.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
ymz said:
PS: most shops prefer to supply their own parts, so take the recommendation to buy your own with a grain of salt - or after checking with the mechanic...
Please ask the mechanic. Some, like me, have their customers order the kit and bring it with them at time of service. My only limitation on parts is must be purchased from a reputable seller of parts.

No flame, please. I literally have thousands of $$$ of parts on the shelves. I can't afford any more.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
as stated before source out Zantech I never met the gents there but from previous posts on different forums he knows his tdi's