99.5 Golf Drivers seat not connected to front frame!

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
The drivers seat on 99.5 Golf has become completely disconnected from the center rail that is mounted to the floor. Both the base and back will rock back to an almost reclining position. Is this something repairable, or should I be looking for a new to me junkyard seat?

Currently I have the back seat folded flat and the seat slid back into the back seat cusion so that rocking is minimal. It ok, but a little too far back for comfortable driving.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Sounds like someone pilfered the two nuts that are at the front center (and secure the seat frame), that or you should find them poking about close by.

TDI
none, Passat V soon
If the front attachment bolts are missing, replace. If new bolts won't tighten securely and keep turning in captive nuts, it may be possible to tap next size up and install larger bolts.

If bolts are in place but floor is rusted and lifting with seat, another seat won't begin to solve the problem.

If bolts in place, yet seat front lifts, replacement with good junkyard seat may remedy the issue.

Continuing to drive as is puts you at risk should you get rear-ended...

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't expect this!

Took the seat out yesterday. The metal mount completely sheared apart. A "new" seat from a $35 trip to the junk yard solved the problem. I have to go back tomorrow and get the airbag connector. I'd much rather solder on the vehicle side, than the airbag side.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI

Continuing to drive as is puts you at risk should you get rear-ended...
Luckily I only had to go 3 days. We usually have a spare car, but I let both daughters take a TDI back to school with them, leaving me with the 99 Golf with a blown heater core and no heat.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Holy smokes! How much torque you pumping out of that car?:D

TDI
none, Passat V soon
I didn't expect this!
Took the seat out yesterday. The metal mount completely sheared apart. A "new" seat from a $35 trip to the junk yard solved the problem. I have to go back tomorrow and get the airbag connector. I'd much rather solder on the vehicle side, than the airbag side.
You've got to stop abusing your seat so much!!! :D
Seriously, I've only seen the brackets break when in a car which suffered a severe collision. Perhaps this seat was removed from such a wreck which cracked the brackets, and then installed in your car at some point in the past?
Whatever the cause, glad you're now in a seat with better attachments. Now, quit being so ROUGH... :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You've got to stop abusing your seat so much!!! :D
Seriously, I've only seen the brackets break when in a car which suffered a severe collision. Perhaps this seat was removed from such a wreck which cracked the brackets, and then installed in your car at some point in the past?
Whatever the cause, glad you're now in a seat with better attachments. Now, quit being so ROUGH... :D
I had seat rails break on one of my tractors. No suspension on tractors. You get beat up pretty well. Ended up finishing some mowing work sitting on metal tails (no seat)!:eek:

TDI
none, Passat V soon
I had seat rails break on one of my tractors. No suspension on tractors. You get beat up pretty well. Ended up finishing some mowing work sitting on metal tails (no seat)!:eek:
So, perhaps his old seat was removed from a tractor? That would explain the break... :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, perhaps his old seat was removed from a tractor? That would explain the break... :D
Or the car was a demolition derby car:D (no mention of how battered the exterior is;))

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two daughters and a bad heater core. All of a sudden things in my life don't seem so bad!:D

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
You guys crack me up.

The seat seems original, as far as I can tell. I do know the car was in one accident since there is some bodywork by the passenger side rear door/fender area. No idea of the severity. We've had the car for about 100k miles. The first 180K miles came from the original owner.