1999.5 Jetta TDI wont crank/start

Tman56

TDI
2000 jetta tdi 195k
Hello,

I have a 1999.5 Jetta (a4 model) that will not crank. When I turn the key all the start up lights come on as normal but when I go to start it, there is nothing. I checked all the fuses, connections, starter, and the battery. I am thinking that it may be the ignition switch but I am unsure. Also the trunk will not open and the keyless entry are both acting goofy as well. Not sure what to do, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tyler

revgov

Veteran Member
TDI
2012, 4-dr., Golf
Could be ignition switch. Have you replaced relay 109 and the batteries in the key fob? Also sounds like the switch in the drivers side door may be bad (common problem)?

Tman56

TDI
2000 jetta tdi 195k
Thanks, for the advice. I have not replaced the key for battery yet, I will try to do that tomorrow.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Check for current at the small wire on the starter. There should be current here when the starter should be operating (switch turned, clutch in or in park).
With the car in neutral or park use a jumper wire to put current from the battery to the TERMINAL (where the small plug goes) on the starter. The motor should crank, if not it's the starter or no current to the starter from the heavy gauge wire. If you're in a bind you can start the car this way with the key on.:)

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
It could be any number of things; however, you should always eliminate the simple/cheap things first.

These symptoms can be caused by high resistance between the battery and the cables. Take the terminals off the battery, clean the posts and the insides of the terminals until they're shiney (a set of wire brushes specifically designed for this purpose is probably about $5 at an auto parts store; you can scrape the connections with a pen knife in a pinch) and try to start it again. If the problem is something else, you've wasted next to nothing since these connections should be cleaned periodically anyway. But it's bad to chase a problem for days/dollars only to find out it was something simple/cheap to fix all along.

Tman56

TDI
2000 jetta tdi 195k
So I have replaced the battery in the key fob but it did not help. I will try to start it by directly powering the starter from the battery. Let me know if you have any other suggestions, Thank You.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Yup, I'd do what Metal Man said. Cleaning connection points & grounds (there are a number of them in the engine bay, including under the battery), as S2000 points out, is never a bad idea.

sisyphus

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5, '01 A4 Jetta sedans, 5 sp box, Hamman mod, Joey mod, Bilsteins, 2.00" lift
If you key it on and hold the key in the starting position for about five to ten seconds, get out, and feel the + battery cable (that goes to the starter) and it's hot/warm, there's too much resistance in the starter. Your starter needs replaced or the connection to the starter is corroded. It happens.

Tman56

TDI
2000 jetta tdi 195k
Metal Man, I was looking at trying to start my car by using the jumper cable like you suggested but I am not sure where it is that i am trying to connect the cable to?

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Quoting myself below. The small wire is the one with the square plastic plug. This wire should be hot (12v) with the key turned to start, clutch in or in park. If it is the problem is more likely battery, a connection or a bad starter.

If you take a small jumper wire (it doesn't need to be heavy duty) from the + on the battery to the terminal on the starter that you removed the plug from the motor should crank, be sure it's not in gear.

If it cranks the problem is more in the wiring or a switch.:)

Check for current at the small wire on the starter. There should be current here when the starter should be operating (switch turned, clutch in or in park).
With the car in neutral or park use a jumper wire to put current from the battery to the TERMINAL (where the small plug goes) on the starter. The motor should crank, if not it's the starter or no current to the starter from the heavy gauge wire. If you're in a bind you can start the car this way with the key on.:)

Tman56

TDI
2000 jetta tdi 195k
Thank you. I was not sure which terminal to connect to. The problem is that I am at college right now and all my tools are at home in the garage. Hope this works so I can get it home and fix it. Thanks again for the help!