Need sensor norms for a Alh Mk4 (Bluetooth OBDII and Android app Torque)

makos101

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 ALH Black 2003 Jetta
I recently purchased a Bluetooth ELM 327 OBDII module off eBay and downloaded Torque (a free scan tool application) from the Android Market for my Droid Incredible. Its basically a cheap scan gauge. Its nice to have all these gauges, but being new to tdi's and cars in general, I don't know what gauges/sensors I should be keeping a eye on and what the norms are for these sensors. Here are some pictures of the sensors I can monitor. If someone could please list which are important and the norms for these gauges and what I should watch for. I would appreciate it so much.

EX. Intake manifold pressure should be within (#$% - %^&) if it is over %^& there is something very wrong.

There are all the sensors I can choose from. I can get them in the form of a dial, graph, or digital display.

Here are a few of the gauges running.

This app is amazing the OBDII Bluetooth ELM was about $25 on ebay and I purchase the ad free app for $5 (The 5 dollar one includes track timing and HP and torque, but the free one works great too). For a total of $30, it has more features than my dad's $150 scan guage. It works really good and updates really fast. I just dont know which sensors are important and what the norms are for the sensors. Thanks if you can help me out. Im sure others will learn more about their scan device by reading this.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My BT box is on its way as well. Got Torque already and waiting! Blaze the way so it is simpler for the rest of us. Thanks!

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I also just started using this. Here are a few observations so far when using this with my 02 Golf:
-Fuel economy doesn't work for diesel vehicles yet (confirmed on Torque's website)
-Boost is about 2-3psi lower than my boost gauge - I believe this because it won't read barometric pressure and uses a standard value. However, it will display intake manifold pressure but only in kPA...so I can't directly compare the accuracy of this one.
-Coolant temp, intake air temp and engine load are a few of my home screen gauges and seem to work well.
-Can also display rpm, speed (ecu & gps), timing advance, trip distance, mass air flow rate, throttle position.
-Voltage doesn't work on mine and I wish it did.

So far so good. I'm still using the trial version but will probably buy the $5 app soon. I also am using the cheap $25 BT ebay adaptor and it's working fine so far.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Box came in today from overseas. When plugged into the OBD port I only get a red light. Phone says paired but not connected. Cane some detail the procedure for me to get this to work? Thanks!

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Did you enter the password (1234) into your phone? Also, make sure that Torque is set up to use the correct BT device - you'll have to go into settings and select it I think. Other than that I can't remember anything else I had to do so make it work.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My passcode was 6789 according to the little cd that came with it. Set that but says paired but not connected. Should I only have one red light on the obd connector?

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Mine will flash the various other lights when it's communicating or trying to communicate. Did you check the settings in TOrque? Under Bluetooth Preferences I have the option "Choose Bluetooth Device". Select that and then make sure that the correct device is selected.
If that doesn't work try unplugging the device a couple times. The odd time mine won't connect right away and I just have to try it a few times.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Does the key have to be on for the device to work? I haven't even tried to fire up the Torque application yet as the phone says paired but not communicating. I will try tonight though. Thanks for your help!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Sadly this is why I didn't really use mine that much. Great for general information, but obviously it doesn't speak the same language as VCDS.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
True but as the NB doesn't have a temp gauge, that one is useful. Maybe the app writer can update. For $16 it isn't bad. My odo and speedo will be off now due to my oversize tires so that may help as well.

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I also just started using this. Here are a few observations so far when using this with my 02 Golf:
-Fuel economy doesn't work for diesel vehicles yet (confirmed on Torque's website)
-Boost is about 2-3psi lower than my boost gauge - I believe this because it won't read barometric pressure and uses a standard value. However, it will display intake manifold pressure but only in kPA...so I can't directly compare the accuracy of this one.
-Coolant temp, intake air temp and engine load are a few of my home screen gauges and seem to work well.
-Can also display rpm, speed (ecu & gps), timing advance, trip distance, mass air flow rate, throttle position.
-Voltage doesn't work on mine and I wish it did.

So far so good. I'm still using the trial version but will probably buy the $5 app soon. I also am using the cheap $25 BT ebay adaptor and it's working fine so far.
Just wanted to give an update. When I wrote this ^^, I was using the trial version. Since then I have bought the full app and some things have changed, as well they are constantly upgrading this app:

• Voltage works
  • MPG / LPK now works on diesels...I haven't confirmed it's accuracy but seems like it's pretty close
I'm pretty happy with this app, especially how they keep updating it to improve features. Like it's been mentioned, I wouldn't rely on it for boost or anything that needs a high sample rate - it only refreshes each gauge about every second. I enjoy playing around with it and would recommend it for the price!

ryankalel

TDI
2000 Beetle
i have noticed that on my 2000 Beetle Torque does not pick up fuel level, fuel pressure etc. How then can it calculate the mpg accurately?

Am I missing something?