Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
At the Murphy USA in Gulf Shores, Alabama:

Regular: $2.499
Diesel B5: $2.419

It's the only station with a price that low. Next lowest is 11 miles up the road and it's $2.559. (The closest station to the Walmart is selling diesel for a mind-boggling $3.009.)

Since I was already going through the hell that is Walmart, I figured I might as well at least snap up this bargain; I stuffed $30 worth into my car.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Several months ago, perhaps January or even December, I predicted that if regular gasoline and diesel were going to reach parity at the pumps, it would happen sometime around May the 10th.

Well, that date has come and now gone, and diesel is cheaper than RUG in California, Oregon, Nevada, and Utah. But the further east you go, diesel becomes more expensive relative to gasoline, with the spread widest in the Northeast. Nationally, AAA says the spread is about 19 cents/gallon, down from about 40 cents a month ago.

Over the next several weeks, or maybe even a month or two, the spread should stay about the same. Maybe a narrowing by a few more cents, but not much. Then around July or August the spread will begin to widen again, to reach a maximum in December if seasonal patterns hold true. December is when the car blogs (not TDI Club but the others) will be cluttered with posts arguing that diesel cars make no sense because diesel costs so much more than gasoline.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Holding steady at 2.79 here. Good news is that diesel is still less than premium.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
The Costco just down the road is currently at $2.89 on D2, $2.80 for RUG and $2.89 on PUG.

The local Chevron is at $2.99 D2, $2.99 RUG, and $3.29 PUG, so I'm definitely not complaining about driving my TDI right now.
It also makes three times the mileage that my other, PUG using Mercedes uses, so... :D

midwestTDI

TDI
2012 VW GOLF TDI Sunroof/NAV Package, 4dr hatchback
Holding steady as well here in Omaha. $2.599 for Diesel and almost the same or slightly higher for unleaded. I did see 1 station just from $2.599 to $2.699 yesterday. Getting 43+ mpg for my in-city driving on my way to work in the am .. before 6am -- after 6am .. then more traffic more waiting for the lights, etc.

So let the RUG's bark all they want about the value of diesel .. still seeing 525+ per tank on average.

Speaking of which.. anyone get the GTD in your state yet? Noticed the tank on the 2015 Golf TDI went down to 13.2 gallons?? Is that right?

Buckwild90

TDI
2013 golf tdi with dsg(Buyback), 2001 Jetta tdi 5mt 414k miles, 2002 Jetta 5mt 289k miles
here in memphis RUG is 2.399 a gallon everywhere prices just jumped last week. diesel is on average 2.559 up from about 2.429 in the last week. one shell in bartlett has both RUG and d2 for 2.399 a gal right now. this is the first time ive seen the two at equal price and thats the cheapest d2 is right now period. i was paying 2.219 a gal a few weeks ago.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Another little jump in gas prices in my area today, with regular now hovering around the $2.579 mark. This has diesel suddenly cheaper than gas at a few more stations, as much of it is $2.549.

I wish I could see this trend expand, but I expect diesel to jump considerably soon "just because". :)

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Pushing $3.30/Gallon round here. thankfully I still have about 150 gallons of $2.75/gallon fuel in the shop, Sip Sip.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
San Diego, CA, $2.88 for D, while RUG is $3.91, gotta love diesel and Kalifornia suks your $ if you run gas...
Wow! That's not too bad price wise for diesel in California. I remember being out there for business last year before the prices dropped and paid something like $4.75/gal for RUG. Granted that may have been due to the proximity to the Santa Barbra airport.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I tried uploading a photo from Tapatalk but after 15 minutes it still hasn't gone, so...
Sam's Club Daphne - RUG $2.539
D2 $2.469.

Not only is it cheaper than regular, their diesel is at least 40¢ a gallon less than the three stations on the same block.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
We drove home from Florida yesterday and the diesel was $2.63 in VA. We averaged 46.7 mpg from Jacksonville to Charleston, WV. I could have easily drove it without stopping, but wanted to fill up where the fuel was cheaper.
I did see a station with Ecco diesel for $3.99 a gallon. What's Ecco diesel?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Just north of the State Fairgrounds. There are other stations in the metro with diesel the same or cheaper than regular gasoline, but this is the first I've seen here in Saint Paul.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Diesel will vary depending on the shortage of RUG... If there are refinery fires or less crude to go around, RUG will be produced more because that is where the demand is.. The diesel market is sort of a prisoner because the truckers and trains and the such are all stuck using diesel and using just as much. There will be more RUG produced from what is available and therefore Diesel is in tight supply.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel will vary depending on the shortage of RUG... If there are refinery fires or less crude to go around, RUG will be produced more because that is where the demand is.. The diesel market is sort of a prisoner because the truckers and trains and the such are all stuck using diesel and using just as much. There will be more RUG produced from what is available and therefore Diesel is in tight supply.
Refineries are designed to produce gasoline and distillates in roughly fixed proportions, in about a 2:1 ratio. They can adjust the percentages by a few points, but the refinery would have to be reconfigured at a huge cost to change the production ratio by any appreciable amount.

Right now both gasoline and distillate supplies are adequate in most parts of the country. There are relative shortages of summer-formula gasoline in California and neighboring states, but they shouldn't much longer.