Has anyone gotten a tune after the emmisions fix?

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Greetings all,
My 2011 JSW 6mt is in the shop getting the emissions fix now, prior to dropping it off I flashed the ecu with the stock software to avoid any issues with my stage 2 tune. It seems like a bad idea to try and drop the tune right back in, not sure if the checksums would even match up anymore? So has anyone gotten a tune (or major exhaust modifications) after getting the emissions modification? If you think using your VW blood money to mess with your emissions is questionably ethical, I see your point. So if this turns into a flamefest feel free to PM me to keep your name out of the inferno lol
Thanks in advance!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Isn't there a "staged" fix? In other words, is it wise to opt for a fix and just get the first part?

I think if I were going to take the fix, take the money, I'd also want to have the warranty. Then, once the warranty period is up, mod away.

In my case, I did no fix, no money, deleted/tuned the car, and sold it to a happy new owner. It was hard to give that car up, but ultimately it came down to its pedal deficiency so I let it go.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Brian-when I bought my 15 “new” the first part of the fix was recently completed (hence allowing them to sell the car).

The dealer indicated that I would be notified when part 2 was ready but told me it was up to me to get part 2. That might have been part of the sales pitch, I’m not sure.

Additionally, he handed me new literature that says my dpf should be replaced at 120k and would be covered for free as part of the “fix.”

Zabel51

TDI
2014 white GSW
Not sure if i'm in exactly the situation you are in, but I got my 2014 JSW "fixed" and then got a Malone Stage 2 tune one week later. No mods to the stock emission system. I know it may cause problems with the warranty down the road, but I take good care of my TDI and I rationalize that essentially all the tune does is to recover the level of power and torque they have in Europe. The extra torque is very satisfying with no apparent ill affects from the tune.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
I recently did the ‘VW fix’ on my ‘12 wagon. I had been tuned and deleted before. I reinstalled everything and had the fix done. (Left the computer tuned Btw, and the dealership was still able to do what they needed to do) I then removed everything and re tuned stage 2. Apparently there are some changes the tuner has done to work with whatever VW has changed. I paid a nominal fee to the tuner for this updated mod. I have a Malone tune. However........ I went through quite an ordeal, including getting the wrong tune installed (without a delete) then driving 800 miles with it trying to regen/ limp mode before I got to a place with another tuner dealer to help me out. I now have a weird stumble and what sounds like a louder engine noise at certain RPM/engine loads. I’m slowly eliminating anything that could be causing this and all things point toward the tune, maybe it just needs to be reinstalled, computer glitch or something. Otherwise all is well, car has tons of power, is excellent on fuel. The way the warranty worked in Canada, I’m so close to the mileage threshold of 203k KM that I’m not worried about voiding the warranty with the tune. I drove the car ‘fixed’ for a day and there’s no way it was staying that way. Just the thought of having a dirty ole EGR on there and the funny feelings while in a regen and general lack of power compared to stage 2, made it an easy decision!!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I had my leftover never titled '15 tuned after it was fixed by the dealer. Totally worth it. I'd warn against taking the car back to the dealer for warranty work without re-flashing it to stock, but it's unlikely they'll see or pay attention to the counter in the ECU. My car had been re-flashed twice prior to delivery, so I think the flash count isn't that reliable an indicator for the dealer.

I don't intend to take the car back for the Stage 2 fix. On the '15 it mostly consists of replacing components that may be near the end of their service life to ensure the car is compliant for the entire emissions warranty period. Given I don't drive this car a lot (5K miles since April) I doubt I'll have enough miles on it during the Stage 2 fix period to bring it back. Regardless, I won't do it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Lots of talk about '15s in this thread, I wasn't aware they made Mk6 in 2015 ;)

From what it sounds like if you took your Gen 2, that had a stage 2 stored in a flash loader and had the emissions fix, you can't toss back on the original stage 2 tune, you have to get a modified stage 2 tune.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Thank you for all the replies! I took it in, they replaced one of the catalytic converters (nox I think, its the bigger one) with a unit that looked stock, and said they did something with a flap in the air box, I looked under the hood, nothing was evident, Ill look better later, not sure what they were talking about. so far it feels the same as sock, Ill be getting the tune update so I can put my stage 2 back in, it really is a noticeable change in driving behavior.

The Dealer mentioned my car had alot more miles than average for the fix at 142k, but it didn't stop VW from coughing up ~4300.00 in blood money, not bad considering I bought this car two years and 30k ago for 8600.. Just got a EFT notice from JP Morgan.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Brian-when I bought my 15 “new” the first part of the fix was recently completed (hence allowing them to sell the car).

The dealer indicated that I would be notified when part 2 was ready but told me it was up to me to get part 2. That might have been part of the sales pitch, I’m not sure.

Additionally, he handed me new literature that says my dpf should be replaced at 120k and would be covered for free as part of the “fix.”
The extended warantee requires follow up "2nd" fix when ready. At least that is what I was told.

The extended emissions system warantee guaranteed by the agreement with the EPA/Federal court is so good, I might do it. But I will drag my feet until I can be sure it won't be a BIG mistake. We'll see.

YES, mine is a '15. Sorry to muck up this MK6 discussion. It sounds like MK6 is not subject to the 2nd "fix". I miss my MK6. Was just thinking about that third pedal this morning.

Last edited:

diesel#2

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen, 2004.5 Passat Variant (sold), 2000 Golf (still in family), 1998 jetta (RIP)
my $500 dealer credit applied towards Kerma pre announcement of any fix. once fix announced and once scheduled, i set back to stock and then followed the same procedure as I did on the first install. Within 24 hours I had my car back.

I didn't do the DSG upgrade and appreciated the DSG-retune done by the dealership.

on other cars i've had an upsolute, a rocketchip and .... I think i'll stick w/ Kerma for the next one if/when needed

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Can a moderator move the posts referring to 2015 TDIs, 2nd fixes etc. to the correct forum, or delete them, please? They only create confusion in a 2010-2014 forum, where no such things exist.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I want to get the Mod to get rid of codes.

Just had my 23U3 GEN 1 Emission Mod and 24CV Snow Flap & O2 sensor done. It was a bit of ordeal, two trips to dealer and two to independent shop. I went to dealer and knew it had codes (P0638 and P2101), they said no can do, but we will try and fix it for $140 an hour. Long story but I took car back from dealer and tried to fix it. In the end, I cleared the P2101 but the P0638 was still there. I dropped it off at the dealer. I cleared the codes and crossed my fingers. The codes stayed away long enough for the dealer to do the modification.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
So, question for the group... I suspect a mouse chewed through the wiring going to the rear 02 sensor (by physically inspecting the harness, and the MIL code) about a year ago. Haven't gotten around to dealing with it and wonder if the emissions fix will cover this?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
According to the booklet that we all (the people who got the fix, that is) were sent, the extended VW warranty after the emissions modification covers everything that throws a check engine light, except for transmission related issues. Reason being that the court wants these modified VW's to keep meeting the agreed upon emissions criteria until the end of the warranty period.
With an O2 or temperature sensor missing, that can't be assured.
If that means that VW has to fix some things that aren't their fault in order to guarantee meeting the emissions agreement, so be it. Small potatoes compared to the $18 billion settlement.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That was not my understanding of what is covered. They spelled out pretty much what was covered and I don't remember reading about a check engine light. From the booklet:

Parts Covered Under Extended Warranty
The emissions system warranty shall cover the following parts or
systems:
 The entire exhaust after treatment system, including the Diesel
Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective
Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel
Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors
and actuators
 The entire fuel system, including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail,
fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all
sensors and actuators
 The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR
temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors
and actuators
 The turbocharger, including the turbocharger damper
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.
Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train
The extended emissions warranty includes parts, labor, and applicable
taxes. The extended emissions warranty shall not void or supersede any
existing warranty. Conflicts concerning the warranty are to be resolved
in favor of the consumer.
More information about your extended emissions warranty coverage is
available at www.vwdiesellookup.com and in the customer letter we
sent to you in January 2017.

IDoSeaDoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta, CJAA 6spd
Wow, I was considering not going in for the fix, but given this warranty, I think I'd be a fool not to. It covers just about everything that typically fails on these cars. How long is the warranty for?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
[...]
 The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, including SCR DEF quality
sensor, and any malfunctions detected by the OBD systems other
than those related to the transmission.[...]
OK, it says malfunctions, not check engine light. Of course there could be malfunctions detected by the OBD systems that do not throw a check engine light. Those would also be covered, according to this language.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
So, question for the group... I suspect a mouse chewed through the wiring going to the rear 02 sensor (by physically inspecting the harness, and the MIL code) about a year ago. Haven't gotten around to dealing with it and wonder if the emissions fix will cover this?
The short answer is no. Either you fix it before you bring it in or they'll fix it for you, at $140 an hour. If it's throwing engine codes, VW is not going to do mod, unless they fix it. Now will they fix it out of the goodness of their heart no charge? I doubt it, but hey you never know; bring it in. If they do mod great.

If they call you and say hey we've got a problem, we need to fix it before we can do the emission modification; do you authorize us doing the work, you have two choices. Frankly if it's just a wiring problem either go pick it up and fix it or bite the bullet, pay VW dealer an hour or three of labor. You can always call the VW customer advocate at the corporate headquarters, ask if they'll reimburse you.

As I said in my post above I had a code which is still popping. VW did not want to do the mod at first.. I took car back and messed around with it as best I could. I cleared the codes when I dropped it off. I was successful in getting the mod done. But the code keeps popping up the p0638.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
It strikes me as odd someone might balk at paying for a $300 repair in order forego a $6000+ windfall.

Maybe just me, but it just seems like a good investment to pay for a repair.

bsmith67inla

TDI
2015 Jetta s TDI dsg
So every car that gets fixed gets that warranty? I just bought a 2015 Jetta s that has the 1st update only from a local Nissan dealership. They didn’t say anything about a warranty so I bought the extended from them. Did I waste my money on a extended warranty from Nissan?

Thanks Brian.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I bought a new left over 2015 Beetle. I am insured with GEICO and they offer MBI (Mechanical Breakdown Insurance) that covers everything except regular service parts (brake pads/rotors, wipers, etc). At $6 month it seemed reasonable and can be canceled at any time if I am unhappy with its coverage. This is the only kind of insurance I would do if I wanted it. Good out to 100k miles. So between the emissions warranty and the MBI insurance I think I am pretty well covered for a nominal fee. Few people that buy warranty coverage on their car ever get anything near back what they paid. If they did the company wouldn't be in business.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
So every car that gets fixed gets that warranty? I just bought a 2015 Jetta s that has the 1st update only from a local Nissan dealership. They didn’t say anything about a warranty so I bought the extended from them. Did I waste my money on a extended warranty from Nissan? Thanks Brian.
Yes you wasted your money because most extended warranties are terrible. Who is underwriting it? Nissan? The Dealer? If you did not pay much AND the dealer is a stand up company (and the contract you signed is not full of exceptions, exclusions, limits, high deductibles) it may be OK. Insurance is paying for something you hope to never use.

VW has pretty long regular warranty, much less the extended warranties some going out 120K miles and 10 years for specific things (fuel pump, emissions). Regardless if something breaks that is covered by VW, the secondary coverage will defer to VW and not fix it. It is likely in the warranty contract you signed. YOU DID GET IT IN WRITING? They know this when they sell you these late model used cars the manufacture warranty will cover most of what they are selling you, since they run parallel.

Last edited:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
It strikes me as odd someone might balk at paying for a $300 repair in order forego a $6000+ windfall. Maybe just me, but it just seems like a good investment to pay for a repair.
You are right. I spent about $250 getting my issue fixed, but the dealer may have spent 5 to 6 times that. Knowing the dealer (incompetence) they could spend 5 hours hunting down a wiring gremlin, to say I need a new wiring harness (for another $1000 parts plus labor). So yea, $1700 dealer repair bill is to be avoided. Sure the "restitution" would pay for it, but I'd rather get a full $5100 verses $3400. I can work on my own car. This summer I am going to pull the harness and look for a good used one or repair this one (if that is the problem).

pooneil

TDI
2012 golf, 2014 Jetta Sport wagon
I went with a APR stage 1 tune on my 2012 Golf TDI 6speed back in March at New German Performance in MD and have been rather happy with it.

Mileage has been in the 40-50mpg range on the highway if I drive "normally"

The car is otherwise stock and has had the emissions fix.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Yep. Got a Kerma tune about 8k miles ago on my gen 1 cr tdi Aka no ad blue. Very well balanced and it still follows regen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doughglass

TDI
14 sportwagen 6speed, 03 wagen 5speed, 00 new beetle 5speed
I had rc put a tune on my 14 sportwagen 6sp back in October. After the recall. He deleted the recall flash and then tuned the car with total stock parts. My car has over 245,000mls. I drive a lot. I never realized just how spunky it is until today I stopped to the dealership and test drove another 14 sportwagen 6sd. The test car was gutless in comparison! The warranty covers the exhaust system that I was going to remove and oversized when it failed anyway, so the warranty holds absolutely no value.