Anyone camping?

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Hello.

I have never been to a TDIfest, but I have been to the Free State Project's 2009 Liberty Forum. (http://www.freestateproject.org/libertyforum)

It's held around middle of winter, so camping isn't an option up in NH, so I stayed with friends.

Recently I went to the Free State Project's Porcupine Freedom Festival, which was held at a camp ground in beautiful Lancaster, NH. http://www.porcfest.com Which was pretty much all camping, and it was FUN!! I can't imagine that September is too late to be camping, so anyone got any information on that?

I'm considering coming to TDIfest, but the Hyatt looks expensive, and I'm still in school and I've got rent to pay!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have no idea where you're going to camp around here.

As for the Hyatt being expensive, I'm not sure what you're used to, but their weekday rates are $259+ and we're getting the ballroom and all other fees for free, which is a huge bonus for TDIClub.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
He can try!

As for trying to find a way to make Fest more affordable for you, you may want to take a peek at the Hotel Room Sharing thread. Several people do this every year, and the cost can be cut in half or more if you get 2 - 4 people sharing a room. The rooms at the Hyatt will comfortably sleep three individuals (two double beds and a pull-out sofa).

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
VeeDubTDI said:
He can try!

As for trying to find a way to make Fest more affordable for you, you may want to take a peek at the Hotel Room Sharing thread. Several people do this every year, and the cost can be cut in half or more if you get 2 - 4 people sharing a room. The rooms at the Hyatt will comfortably sleep three individuals (two double beds and a pull-out sofa).
Very true.:D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
BrianCT said:
I just read the info on the Hyatt from the website. It's $99 a night. That a little under $400 for the 4 evenings. Where do you get the $259 from?:confused:
I said weekday rates. This week, the rates range from $159 to $229 per night.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
fase2000TDI said:
I'm considering coming to TDIfest, but the Hyatt looks expensive, and I'm still in school and I've got rent to pay!
It's fortunate for you the TDIFest organizers have been able to work out some, shall we say... budget arrangements for people like yourself.

There is one well-known green space not far from the hotel which will be open for camping. Space is limited and first-come first-served. You're expected to pack in everything you will need, especially firearms, knives, fishing equipment and firestarting materials for all the hunting/trapping you'll need to do as you will not be allowed to bring in food.

Here is a map to the campsite. Make sure you show up early and check in at the front gate.

:D

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You can pitch a tent in my hotel room....for only $50 a night. I will throw in the use of the latrine for free, but sorry no campfires. The night time methane from my anus may blow the whole place up.

Edit: non-breeding male member friends have just informed me I should be careful whom I invite to 'pitch a tent' in my room. Let me make it perfectly clear, I am not willing to switch teams at this point in my life, and if any tent pitching involves any instances of erections other than those involving canvas and aluminum you are most certainly NOT welcome. ;)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
oilhammer said:
You can pitch a tent in my hotel room....for only $50 a night. I will throw in the use of the latrine for free, but sorry no campfires. The night time methane from my anus may blow the whole place up.
Pitch a tent, eh? :eek:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
BrianCT said:
Lost me entirely.:(

Allow me to simplify.

If you go to the Hyatt this coming Monday, July 20th, and check into a room, they will charge you $199.

This means that their normal rate, on any given weekday, is double what it is for our weekend. In addition to the negotiated Fest rate of $99 per night, you get free wifi, free use of the ballroom, free use of the registration suites, and reserved parking.

Yes?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
oilhammer said:
That's an outside gathering. You can witness this fact due to the individual with the cigarette in his hand. Smoking has been banned for almost 5 years in most public indoor areas.

I conclude this is not the TDIFEST nor pertains to the atypical guest attending the above mentioned.

I call bluff on your photo.

Yes.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, their normal rate for that weekend is comparable to what we're getting... but without the other things that I mentioned, such as the ballroom and the parking and the suites and the labor to set up the events in the aforementioned ballroom, suites, and parking lot. :rolleyes:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
BrianCT said:
That's an outside gathering. You can witness this fact due to the individual with the cigarette in his hand. Smoking has been banned for almost 5 years in most public indoor areas.

I conclude this is not the TDIFEST nor pertains to the atypical guest attending the above mentioned.

I call bluff on your photo.

Yes.
You haven't been to Virginia lately, have you? You can still smoke in bars and restaurants here. ;)

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
If you have a tight budget, then that's that. I'll try to explain how the fest is organized and why its important for as many people as possible to stay at the venue's hotel.

Every TDIFest I have been to (7 out of 9) have had room rates around that $100/night price point. With the usual hotel taxes it's between $115 and $125 per night.

We are too specialized and large of a venue to use a cheaper source; office for fest organizers, greeting room, vendor storage, ball room/banquet hall, dedicated parking lot, and a location that has plenty of attractions for the better halves and kids.

A big part of negotiating the room price and all the services the fest uses is guaranteeing a minimum number of room bookings. The fest committee has reserved a block of rooms at a fixed rate. The goal is to get enough members to fill the room quota. If the hotel attendance falls short of the number of reserved rooms, the fest committee pays the hotel the difference out of the fest revenues. This means Fred takes home less money to run the web site that you are enjoying right now. Remember, the whole purpose of TDIFest is to raise money for Fred so he can maintain the website.

Either we step up to the plate and donate, or Fred has to take ad money. We out grew the level of a enthusiast running a website out of his house 10 years ago. I love the fact that TDIClub's forums has no commercial sponsors and we are beholden to no one but ourselves.

If one cannot find someone to share a room at the hotel and/or wishes to camp, then Google is your friend.

http://www.nvrpa.org/parks/bullrun/index.php

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Virginia/Centreville.html

etc.

This year's fest team is taking advantage of VW having its new US HQ just down the road a bit and this being the 10th fest.

:)

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thank you for summarizing that, Brian. :)

As for the taxes, the room rate is $107.91 per night, after taxes. Lower than most places.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
scurvy said:
It's fortunate for you the TDIFest organizers have been able to work out some, shall we say... budget arrangements for people like yourself.

There is one well-known green space not far from the hotel which will be open for camping. Space is limited and first-come first-served. You're expected to pack in everything you will need, especially firearms, knives, fishing equipment and firestarting materials for all the hunting/trapping you'll need to do as you will not be allowed to bring in food.

Here is a map to the campsite. Make sure you show up early and check in at the front gate.

:D
I heard landing jets there were a little loud!:eek:

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
thank you for the information! :) Bkmetz, it's nice to know how the hotel deal worked. It gives me new reason to consider staying at the hotel. Previous events I've been to the event aspect was covered in the cost of admission.

I'm cool with camping at the pentagon lol.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Right now, the hotel numbers are only at 30%. That's not unusual though, because a lot of people around here wait until the last possible second to make plans (registering for Fest and reserving a hotel room).

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
my wife says: "I'm going to a festival about a car. You're getting me a hotel room!"

So, needless to say, no camping for me this time.

If it was just me, I'd be happy sleeping in the parking lot with the seats folded down...