18in rims on stock suspension a problem?

rightongrl

TDI
2003 Jetta, 5sp, Charcoal Grey Leather
Starting to feel a little ill about this. Here's the situation. Two weeks ago bought a 03 Jetta TDI (out of state - MA). The car had 18' VW rims. I believe they were the Aristo (15 spoke style). Last Thursday I was back in MA and brought the car into the dealership to have them check a couple of things. Mostly the radio wasn't getting any reception. On the drive down to MA noticed some vibration in the wheel and mentioned it to them. They had the car all day. At about 4pm they call me to tell me that the vibration was due to the rims being bent and that those rims shouldn't have been on that car in the first place. They wanted to replace them with stock 15s. They gave me this song and dance about the rims not being right for the car and that the car needed a sport suspension to use those rims...lalalala. In the meantime I had to get to Maine, it was hot, and I had a very cranky toddler with me. So I had them swap the rims.

Did I make a big mistake? Is it true that the 18s were too much for the stock suspension or did they basically steal my rims from under me?

Maybe I really don't want to know ...
:eek::(:mad:

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Hold on, they didn't give you back the 18's after you had them change them out? Did they charge you or just call it even?

I think maybe they took you for a ride. The 18's could well have been bent, that's very possible. But I doubt it would be from the car being stock. Bigger wheels with thiner tires just tend to bend easy.

You will get much much much better MPG's with the smaller rims. BUT, you must get the others back. If they are what you say, they are worth about $1000 even if they are a little bent. And you can get a set of stock 15's with tires off ebay or here for like $300.

I seriously hope that you got the other wheels back from them. Or at the very least they didn't charge you for the "swap".

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
They're YOUR rims, they should have given them back to you. BUT, at the dealer I went to there used to be the "check yes or no box, do you want your old parts back" .... blah blah blah... I would think rims are a completely different issue. You should now have your old rims at your house and the new ones on your car.

rightongrl

TDI
If I had them, I wouldn't be feeling so sick. Problem was I had no way of getting them back with me as we were out of state heading to Maine for the long weekend. I've been calling them all week and the manager won't return my calls.

rightongrl

TDI

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
Do you feel like sharing what dealer this was? There are a lot of us here in MA that might be able to give you a hand figuring this out.

And that really sucks. They should never have led you to believe that those wheels were throw away parts in the first place, and if you couldn't take them with you at the time they should have offered to keep them for you until you could come pick them up.

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
So yes, those wheels are worth alot. if you still have the vibration then they just plain stole them from you. If you don't hear back soon I would think about filing reports with the better business folks, the chamber of commerce and the police in the town where the dealer is.

Varkias

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Golf TDI
I don't know them as they aren't near me, but someone on here must. I hope you get this worked out in a way that makes you feel okay about it.

If you spend much time in Maine look up herm on the trusted mechs. post to get your vibration worked out. Or Chris Hill in Boston.

rightongrl

TDI
Thanks Varkias. Unfortunately they caught me on an off day...but they don't know who they are messing with. I've read of Herm and was thinking that I'd check him out when in Maine. I'm still looking for someone closer here in VT. I don't dare take my TDI to the dealership. I may end up driving home without my leather seats!! :rolleyes:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=40567

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Same vibration

rightongrl said:
These where the rims:
http://4130-products.com/wheels/Aristo.html

This is what is on the car now:
http://4130-products.com/wheels/Wellington.html

It's true that I will get way better gas mileage and in the long run, the 15s are better for use as we live in VT and often travel on dirt roads...never mind the winter. Still...

Worst part is, I still have the same vibration in the wheel!
Hey, I wanted to let you know that I put 17" GTI wheels on my 04 TDI Golf. I have a vibration when I'm on the brakes. I believe its from the brakes warping. I moved to FL from CT in the middle of the summer with a car full of stuff. I think the extra weight in the car and rims were too much for the brakes. I plan on replacing the front rotors and pads with performance ones, but I haven't had the time yet. The front sway bar end links are supposedly weak and I can imagine they are (being plastic). Those will be replaced soon too! The modding never ends...:cool:

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
If the dealer took my aristos id flip ****....

If they did that as a "trade" you definitely got hosed because someone there wanted your wheels.

Last edited: