Rear headrest

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
Are the rear headrests removable. I tried the other day and could not remove them.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Not without tripping the check engine light. They are active headrests and will pop forward in the event of a rear collision. And if one misfires, it'll smack your head through the windshield. If you believe that, then read my signature. :D

Kchorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I think they are. You have to put a small screwdriver on one side that has a little opening so they little lock will let it pull out the headrest... I think I read that on the owner manual. ,

Last edited:

maf007

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Kchorro is correct. It requires a very small screwdriver or awl and is discussed in the manual. No lights are tripped. I took two of the headrests out for better visibility out of the rear window.

lojeff10

TDI
2012 Passat - 6sp MT
thanks for all of the replies. It has been a crazy week but I finally got a chance to check it out and I was able to take the headrest off. I used a small nail to release the headrest "latch"? but then it was just bumping into the rear window. I had to go into the truck to release the seat and edge it forward a bit....What a crazy design.

I like to tie down a large towel and place the kid's carseats on top. Kinda trashy looking (reminds me of the old platic covered sofas) but ever since one left 2 crayons on the seat I try to be more careful. BTW, crayons + 2 days parking outside in August heat = really bad stain.

On my other cars, I sometimes take them off on long trips to improve visability. With this car's visability out the back, it is probably the one car that needs it the most but I don't think I will be going through that type of hassle.

Thanks again for the help.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Here's a suggestion (in non-cammo, of course):
Other than crayons, spilled drinks are the other big issue with transporting the little darlings.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Not without tripping the check engine light. They are active headrests and will pop forward in the event of a rear collision.
On the SEL I test-drove, the front headrests were already tilted forward uncomfortably (i.e. uncomfortable for me. If you have to have the seatback quite upright for back-problem reasons, the headrest position would make the car undriveable).
If they tilt to the only-safe-position-according-to-US-law in a collision, does that mean that can be adjusted to a comfortable position? Salesdude didn't know.

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
This brings up the question for new owners: are front headrests horizontally adjustable? Thought I read somewhere they are. (not referring to active restraint mode)