Disgusted with VW.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Who said anything about a fancy luxury car?

They are diesel vehicles with an excellent record for longevity. Pointing out all the other uses shows the versatility and strength of the MB product.

My decision has nothing to do with luxury or fanciness. It has to do with a diesel offering that meets my needs. Availability is one of those needs.

I need a car NOW, not in 2 more freaking months and VW cannot deliver, so they lose.
Buy off the lot (new or used)? :confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Although he's probably tilting at windmills, the OP has a point. In the 80s Honda dealers had "order one and wait or go away" attitude. I paid over sticker for a CRX (which I hated), and after that vowed never to buy another Honda because of the dealer attitude towards customers. I was surprised recently when I took my mother to look at a Fit and the dealer staff only cared about making sure I saw the same salesman I spoke to on the phone, so much that no one paid any attention to us. The Fit may be a good car, but they can keep it. My mom bought another Subaru, largely because she likes the relationship with our local dealer. Customer service does matter. The VW dealer may have no control over production schedules, but they can control how they (a) communicate with the customer regarding the delay; and (b) what they do to help, including, perhaps, offering a loaner.

shadediesel

TDI
2010 TDI Cup Edition; 2006 Jetta TDI
Chris ships cars out of state all the time. I'm in the DFW area and bought a cup edition from him. I'm reading this b/c my brother wants to get the passat. Seems to be a good crowd of passat drivers in the dallas area.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
And a base E-class diesel is twice the MSRP of a base Passat TDI.

So, not the fairest comparison.
MSRP is 63K compared to 34K, so not quite double, granted definitely more.

Fair in what sense? You get a lot more for the price, especially options that VW does not even offer for that 63K.

Take for example the two tone interior colors. I love beige, but won't get it because it shows the dirt and wears too fast. MB actually gives you the beige but uses BLACK for the lower half and floor areas where the dirt and wear would show. You cannot get that on the VW.

As well MB has the 7 or 8 speed transmission. Not a DSG so the good old automatic, so for everyone who hates the DSG a better choice.

All of it adds up. Sure it is nice to get 43 MPG versus 28 MPG, but you also get a lot more performance for that trade-off.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Typical RUDE attitude. Can't allow any discussion that doesn't keep you enthusiastic and rosy eyed about VW.

The TRUTH and REALITY hurts.

Besides, I am pretty sure I have been on here longer than you. :D
not being rude...your point is not new or original...hot cars get long wait lists...so wait....that is not rude....what IS rude is you making it all VAGs problem cause they did not call you and excuse themselves and and send you roses and kiss your....bla bla bla....many of us dont care if you are upset with waiting...cause if you order any hot car to specs you want...guess what bud? You gonna be waiting. just my opinion....now go away....nicely....lol. but dont leave forever cause " you have been on here longer than me" ....guess what ...nobody cares about that either....
but if you insist...tell us again why you are upset at VAG for not having your specific car ready at the minute you want it...

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I guess some people are just so desperate to get one that they will wait forever and until VW is good and ready.
The reality is they started offering them and made the available for order, they should not have rushed the process if it was not ready.
Do you want one built right now or built right?

No one is happy about the delays and uncertainty, but getting all worked-up about it is a waste of time. I wanted one 2 months ago, but not going to be pigeon-holed by an unknown delivery date, considering dealer will not lock-in an interest rate. Would rather wait until inventory sitting on the lots. If it takes until Spring, then so be it.

Maybe the delay is an opportunity for you. Let the dealer know you're unhappy and insist on locking-in their 1.9% rate -- which expires Nov 30th. You can threaten to cancel the order, but don't be surprised if it carries no leverage.

Last edited:

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
Do what I did flew to Denver drove back 800 miles and I get my car right away. Not to mention dealers in Dallas would not make a deal. The dealer I got it from gave me 200 below invoice. So totally worth it to go and get it.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
Do what I did flew to Denver drove back 800 miles and I get my car right away. Not to mention dealers in Dallas would not make a deal. The dealer I got it from gave me 200 below invoice. So totally worth it to go and get it.
200 BELOW invoice on a hot new 2012? wow you are some negotiator....can you find me my next house? sorry but a little hard to believe....why would a dealer sell a new 6 speed or dsg for under invoice? i would doubt that VW has back end incentives on a newly minted car....I am all ears...

Texas Realtor

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT, 2006 Jeep Rubicon 6MT & 2002 F250 7.3 Diesel 4x4
200 BELOW invoice on a hot new 2012? wow you are some negotiator....can you find me my next house? sorry but a little hard to believe....why would a dealer sell a new 6 speed or dsg for under invoice? i would doubt that VW has back end incentives on a newly minted car....I am all ears...
Dude are you calling me a liar or just jealous? The key is they should have one on lot. And yes I am one hack of a negotiator. Unfortunately I cannot be your realtor outside of Texas.
Last I checked McDonald VW still had a white one on the lot.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
They are just screwing up on this when new vehicles are being built for the lots and not for orders.
Most dealers will not order VW's for individuals because of the long wait time. they would rather find a dealer trade which we know will not happen at this point because people like us have an order in. I ordered my last car JSW in April of 2010 and got it August of 2010. I ordred my passat last month now going on 6 weeks. I have no clue when it wil get to be but I know when I get it its exactly what I wanted with exception of the DSG,

My point being, wait it out or go with something else if you cannot wait. Its not the dealers fault or the manufactures. This is a first year Diesel Passat everyone wants one.

breind01

Ok, order in September. Took until October to get pulled for production on 11/12, then they decide to delay until 12/12, without ANY EXPLANATION.

Now they are saying a January 12th delivery.

I said I would not buy the new US built Passat, then decided to give it a try, but I am ready to just cancel and walk away from VW for good. Mercedes has no production delays like this and has inventory.

They are just screwing up on this when new vehicles are being built for the lots and not for orders.
We ordered our TDI SEL on 9/8 and told to expect probably mid October. This past week I talked to the Gen. Sales Mgr. and he said it looks like probably delivery in Jan with a possibility of late December delivery. He gave us a date of Nov 1st for Manufacturer & I'm thinking hey this month for sure and then he says January most probably, but a possibility of Dec delivery. Frustrating!

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Take for example the two tone interior colors. I love beige, but won't get it because it shows the dirt and wears too fast. MB actually gives you the beige but uses BLACK for the lower half and floor areas where the dirt and wear would show. You cannot get that on the VW.
I can't speak for the Passat but our Jetta wagon definitely has black carpets on the floor and a beige interior. I would think that they'd set up the Passat the same way but maybe not.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
Dude are you calling me a liar or just jealous? The key is they should have one on lot. And yes I am one hack of a negotiator. Unfortunately I cannot be your realtor outside of Texas.
Last I checked McDonald VW still had a white one on the lot.
jealous? no, I could care less about your transaction....just seemed "unusual"....liar? nah....dont think you would bother lying...I will tell ya one thing...in 23 yrs in the business I never heard of an out of towner buying a hot new vehicle where there is surely next to no hope of service for UNDER invoice. But like you said....why lie? maybe a desperate dealer. you got lucky. I was kidding about you being my realtor as you seem to get good deals....no worries...enjoy the car !

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
Often times the number of options is limited early on in a new car's production in order to limit the exposure of the plant to potential problems. Fewer options means fewer things to screw up. This is an all-new car, in an all-new plant. The fact that they even offer as many choices as they do seems pretty impressive to me. I know it is all computerized and there should not be any issues, but you never know. Many items and features have been delayed introduction for many decades now.
For all we know, the production has halted 20+ times to work out glitches on the line. Give them a chance, and be patient! :eek:
What I mean is this: they've got 5 engine/trans combos, 3 interior material choices (each with its own fixed lumbar/power/heat situation), sunroof or not, something like 3 or 5 stereo/navi choices, and several other little options that have no parts/placement relationship with anything else like KESSY, garage opener, r-v camera (or at least designed-in port on some radios, at this point), wheels.
All these things are in production, though some have (beyond demo cars possibly judged too iffy for sale) come on line more recently then others, and perhaps the V6 hasn't yet at all.
If it's going to take 3 months to build a non-stock car to order from the current short menu of choices, why can't they disconnect the above features from the trim packages and make them available individually?

If all chosen features are OK in production, it would be produced as slowly as it is now.
If there's a problem with a particular feature, it would delay the whole car no more than any package car with that feature is delayed right now.
Whether or not there's any trouble, the limited packages for made-to-order cars just make no logistical sense - not even for parts ordering.

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
I was surprised recently when I took my mother to look at a Fit and the dealer staff only cared about making sure I saw the same salesman I spoke to on the phone, so much that no one paid any attention to us.
For us, this common policy usually causes much conspiratorial card-passing on any first or much later second visit, and much jostling for position if we visit a dealer a second time while they still remember (if they don't, no **** is given). The latter scenario doesn't happen much anymore, as we're sick to death of it and avoid going back. After 2 years of slow car shopping (we're not buying today, or tomorrow - just do your pretend-to-know and test drive chaperone duties), any dealer doing the "I talked to them last time" dance or teling us to wait for "our" guy will be told to go fight it out on their own time and let me do what I came to do.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
verylongdrive: Unless there aren't actually any made-to-order cars, and they just make batches, and you reserve a spot in a batch.

eyetdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat TDI Sedan
I had to wait for about 9 months for my 1980 Golf diesel.

Seemed like forever, but when it came, especially after the wait, it was even more special.

Probably true for many other things in life, no?

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I agree the delays are probably to work out line issues. There may also be parts supply issues as well that we are unaware of. When I ordered my 2006, I waited 5 months and it was worth the wait. I think VW has one hot car on their hands and will have trouble keeping up with demand for a bit. The TDI is not the only model being produced either so only a portion of the peak capacity of the plant can be used to crank out TDI Passats. The TDI is an awesome car for sure....but you also have to remember the big picture VW is looking at. My guess is they will be cranking out a large amount of 2.5 SE gassers....they are trying to compete with Honda, Toyota, etc.

If the cars came in 30 days and had all kinds of quality problems we would all be complaining too. Give them time to get it right.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
abctdi: You do realize that that means that VW doesn't have to EVER make any more Passat TDIs, right? ;)

(As far as I'm concerned, the Mazda6 Sky-D doesn't exist until it's on dealer lots.)

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I agree the delays are probably to work out line issues. There may also be parts supply issues as well that we are unaware of. When I ordered my 2006, I waited 5 months and it was worth the wait. I think VW has one hot car on their hands and will have trouble keeping up with demand for a bit. The TDI is not the only model being produced either so only a portion of the peak capacity of the plant can be used to crank out TDI Passats. The TDI is an awesome car for sure....but you also have to remember the big picture VW is looking at. My guess is they will be cranking out a large amount of 2.5 SE gassers....they are trying to compete with Honda, Toyota, etc.

If the cars came in 30 days and had all kinds of quality problems we would all be complaining too. Give them time to get it right.
+1. Today's manufacturing process relies on an almost infinite number of variables all lining up...not the least of which is parts suppliers keeping up with demand. Manufacturers of all goods just don't stockpile parts the way they used to.
Add to that first-year production issues, and QC corrections, which, when they occur, stop the production line. If I were still waiting, I would just tell myself that VWoA is doing a great job of getting the bugs worked out, and increasing the odds of releasing better and better products.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
abctdi: You do realize that that means that VW doesn't have to EVER make any more Passat TDIs, right? ;)

(As far as I'm concerned, the Mazda6 Sky-D doesn't exist until it's on dealer lots.)
I'll believe it when I see it also, but what's wrong with competition?

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Nothing wrong with competition.

I'm just saying, it doesn't exist until it's for sale, on a dealer lot - and that applies to VW, too - see the 1998 Passat TDI.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Although my understanding was that the NCC wasn't meant to be a production model, it was meant as a showcase of the Mk6 Jetta design without actually showing a Mk6 Jetta.