www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old December 12th, 2012, 08:01   #151
steffen707
Veteran Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I threw on a set of barely used general altimax tires a few weeks ago. We're suppose to get 5-7" tonight, and I can't wait to see how the TDI handles. Its been about 7 years since I had a TDI in winter.
HOLY COW, this car handles awesome in snow with the Altimax Arctics. I put the highest rated (for winter use) all seasons from tire rack, onto my wifes 02 camry v6, and while they are decent, my jetta with the altimax arctics can run circles around her car all day.

It handles deep 5-7" snow without problem, braking and take off from a stop were great. If you get into a winter accident with these, you're either a bad driver, screwing around, or somebody else hit you.
Old December 12th, 2012, 12:35   #152
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Told you!
Old December 12th, 2012, 22:36   #153
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

If you stop on an icy hill, even Altimax Arctics won't power you to the top. You will have to back up and get a running start.
'03 Golf with 736k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2012, 06:13   #154
jasonTDI

NO tire will unless you have studs.
Old December 18th, 2012, 18:57   #155
fruitcakesa
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40's

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
NO tire will unless you have studs.
I have run Nokian Hak 1's and Nordman 1's with studs for years on the wagon and they always did the job on our steep hill and driveway although very noisy on the road.
This year I bought set of unstudded General Arctic Claws and put a pair on the front of both TDI's and they are so far fantastic for slush and light snow and they are well mannered on the road.
As winter progresses I will get a better idea of how versatile they really are.
but so far they are looking good.
Oh yes, they are also about $100 cheaper than the Nokia's!

Last edited by fruitcakesa; December 18th, 2012 at 18:58. Reason: more info
fruitcakesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 21:14   #156
sobots

TDI(s): 03 Golf

Put the Blizzaks on today. Hoping for another mild winter.
Old December 21st, 2012, 21:23   #157
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobots View Post
Put the Blizzaks on today. Hoping for another mild winter.
We need for the drought to be over. So even if it inconveniences everyone, even if it inconveniences me, I hope we get lots of snow.
'03 Golf with 736k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, TDT or Delvac1
Like TDI Club? Got PayPal? Got $1 or $5 or $10? Contribution link on the main page.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 14:40   #158
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
Told you!
True dat! Wisconsin got hit by a nice 10-14" storm last thursday, the General Altimax Arctics were sweet. I love pulling away from 4WD SUVs at stop lights. How many seasons do these tires last? Not from a tread standpoint, but is there a life expectancy for when they start to get dry rot, or just don't perform well even with sufficient tread?

I probably only drive 3,000 miles in winter, just curious if they will keep providing great traction year after year. Thanks guys.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 14:44   #159
steffen707
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakesa View Post
I have run Nokian Hak 1's and Nordman 1's with studs for years on the wagon and they always did the job on our steep hill and driveway although very noisy on the road.
This year I bought set of unstudded General Arctic Claws and put a pair on the front of both TDI's and they are so far fantastic for slush and light snow and they are well mannered on the road.
As winter progresses I will get a better idea of how versatile they really are.
but so far they are looking good.
Oh yes, they are also about $100 cheaper than the Nokia's!
You probably know this, but for others, if you put miss-matched tires on the front and rear you could have severe handling issues. If the front grips way better and the back slides away you could have dangerous oversteer.

I know this first hand as I wanted to save some money in college and put 2 snow tires on the front and left the all seasons on the back. While driving at moderate speed around a snowy hill, the rear of the car broke loose without warning and I spun around 2-3 times down the hill. Luckily I didn't hit anything or anyone, but I learned my lesson.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 15:48   #160
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

You are correct, Steffen -- all experts agree that the tires with the best tread must go on the rear axle... no matter whether the car is front-wheel drive or rear-wheel drive.
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:44   #161
jasonTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
True dat! Wisconsin got hit by a nice 10-14" storm last thursday, the General Altimax Arctics were sweet. I love pulling away from 4WD SUVs at stop lights. How many seasons do these tires last? Not from a tread standpoint, but is there a life expectancy for when they start to get dry rot, or just don't perform well even with sufficient tread?

I probably only drive 3,000 miles in winter, just curious if they will keep providing great traction year after year. Thanks guys.
Got 30 K on the yukon. ready for replacement.

Mothers are at 25 K on a V6 4motion still at 8-16's.
Old November 12th, 2013, 08:03   #162
D-Cell_Mekanick
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45ish

After going two winters without dedicated winter tires I decided, with the white stuff falling from the sky yesterday, to purchase a new set of Blizzak WS70's. I had them mounted to my biolines. I'm now ready for whatever Mother Nature throws at me.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:17   #163
30Bones
Veteran Member

If anyone has a lead of a set of 16 or 17's wheels and tires I'd be interested. Will be traveling to Fargo for Thanksgiving and can pick up along the route.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:26   #164
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Have Hakkapeliittas, now hope for plenty of snow.
Old November 12th, 2013, 09:43   #165
pparks1
Veteran Member

I plan to get mine put on in about 2-3 weeks from now. We are just now starting to get cold...hopefully won't have any real snow accumulation before I get the tires put on.
Sadly, my 2013 Passat TDI was hit while parked by a driver who fell asleep and it was declared a total loss by insurance. This happened on 8/10/2016, so I didn't see a dollar from VW for either a fix or a buyback, as I was excluded from the settlement. My daily driver is now a 2016 Honda Accord EL-X sedan.
pparks1 is offline   Reply With Quote