00 Golf ALH, rough idle

Steve777

Veteran Member
I have an 00 ALH golf with a recent problem. It runs fine at higher rpms, but when the rpms drop (like when coming to a stop and the foot comes off the go pedal) it idles roughly. Sometimes so roughly that one thinks the engine would die, but it doesn't. Occasionally the idle smooths out and is normal, but that is the minority of the time.
No CEL, and everything else seems OK. I am looking for hints as to where to look first for this problem. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
"alh slow down shutter" is what you need to search for, most likely need a bit of IP adjustments in the IQ

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
I have an 00 ALH golf with a recent problem. It runs fine at higher rpms, but when the rpms drop (like when coming to a stop and the foot comes off the go pedal) it idles roughly. Sometimes so roughly that one thinks the engine would die, but it doesn't. Occasionally the idle smooths out and is normal, but that is the minority of the time.
No CEL, and everything else seems OK. I am looking for hints as to where to look first for this problem. Any ideas?
I get this problem once every 6 months. In my case it is the Maf sensor and I just unplug it,put some dielectric grease on it and plug in in and out a few times. Clears it up for another 6 months. Might give it a try.