MFD Average Mileage Resetting With Key-Off

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
My MFD average mileage resets to 0 overnight while the car sits. Has anyone else had this same issue?

Andy

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Refer to the manual for a better explanation.

You have TWO mileage readouts on your MFD, #1 and #2. One of them is persistent and the other one resets at each start. Somehow you have switched from one to the other without noticing.

Bill

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Right you are, thank you for the reminder! I must have accidentally switched!!!

Andy

Ozzmosis86

TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I am still learning... This is my first VW, I have about 4,300 miles on it now though. I will be driving about 15-20k miles a year, so I will be accumulating them fast!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Because it resets at 9999 miles automatically. I find that the best use for the mpg #2 is for tank averages. MPG #1 tells you the fuel economy for a single trip, while I reset #2 when I fill the tank. This means that #1 is trip average and #2 is tank average. I find this to be the most useful use for mpg #2.

Have Fun!

Don

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Because it resets at 9999 miles automatically. I find that the best use for the mpg #2 is for tank averages. MPG #1 tells you the fuel economy for a single trip, while I reset #2 when I fill the tank. This means that #1 is trip average and #2 is tank average. I find this to be the most useful use for mpg #2.

Have Fun!

Don
I've been doing the same thing. I record both the MFD average and the hand calculated one. The MFD is usually pretty close, less than 1 mpg off, and sometimes spot on.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I do my tank calcs by hand so I find that knowing how I am doing for that trip more useful in determining which trips have a negative or positive on my tank avg.