RNS510 capacitor addition?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Interesting problem that has come from a recent experience of mine: From the factory, the RNS510 only plays DVDs while the vehicle is still (unless it's jailbroken). Now I don't know how many of you sit around idling your TDIs and burning 0.8L/hr of fuel but I'm not a huge fan of that. So anyway, a couple of nights ago I was watching a couple of DVDs with the engine off and after about 90min or so of play, the vehicle didn't have enough charge to start; so being where I was I had to give VW Roadside Assistance a call and the issue was rectified.

My solution to the problem (and I realize there may be better ones other there) would be to add a capacitor. I'm a bit weary of doing such b/c it involves the car's electronics and I know how sensitive the system can be.

What solutions have you guys come up with over time given how long you've owned your VWs?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Capacitor, huh? Capacitors are for temporary surge loads, usually in audio products, but longer term means a battery.

How about a spare rechargeable battery and feeding the power back through the lighter when you run the DVD? You can recharge it from the lighter when the car is running.

yamaguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE 6man TDI, 2014 F-350 PSD, 2003 F-350 7.3 PSD, John Deere 2032R, Cub Cadet 882
That's a good idea Tom.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Capacitor, huh? Capacitors are for temporary surge loads, usually in audio products, but longer term means a battery.

How about a spare rechargeable battery and feeding the power back through the lighter when you run the DVD? You can recharge it from the lighter when the car is running.
Yes, other times I've seen capacitors installed have been for audio systems. But I'm not understanding your set-up. From the way it is explained, it seems that you can feed electricity both ways through the lighter--and that that doesn't make any sense to me.

What would it take to install an auxiliary battery and get the RNS510 to pull from it?

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Yes, other times I've seen capacitors installed have been for audio systems. But I'm not understanding your set-up. From the way it is explained, it seems that you can feed electricity both ways through the lighter--and that that doesn't make any sense to me.

What would it take to install an auxiliary battery and get the RNS510 to pull from it?
To clarify. While running you plug in a CHARGER to charge the battery (lighter style charger). Then with the car off you plug the battery into the lighter directly.

Or you could create a regulator/charger with some simple electronic components.

Probably could even hardware a direct power connection for the auxiliary power supply.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
To clarify. While running you plug in a CHARGER to charge the battery (lighter style charger). Then with the car off you plug the battery into the lighter directly.

Or you could create a regulator/charger with some simple electronic components.

Probably could even hardware a direct power connection for the auxiliary power supply.
Of those options, I'd most likely go with hardwiring a direct power connection to the Aux battery. But how would I wire the RNS510 to draw it's power ONLY from that Aux battery?

TDICT

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW...SOLD..2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black...Now Here
If you spend that much time watching DVD's with the engine off you would be better off getting a portable DVD player, my Grandkids have them and they are very inexpensive. They are cheaper than any of the ideas you may come up with to modify and possibly ruin you built in unit.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
Yikes! There is a good reason hat you can't watch DVDs while you drive!

Niner

duplicate account, banned
Yikes! There is a good reason hat you can't watch DVDs while you drive!
That is beyond the comprehension of the OP... He was too distracted while driving to notice.

I wouldn't waste my time watching a DVD in my Passat when I have a 55" 3D Samsung TV inside. Just seems like common sense to me. Then I don't have battery problems.

Last edited:

Santa2ya

TDI
None
I would like to have seen VW option for rear video headrest that runs off the RNS510. :D

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
If you spend that much time watching DVD's with the engine off you would be better off getting a portable DVD player, my Grandkids have them and they are very inexpensive. They are cheaper than any of the ideas you may come up with to modify and possibly ruin you built in unit.
As much as that seems like a great idea to you and the subsequent idiots who recommend getting a portable DVD player/laptop for this purpose...that completely nullifies buying a vehicle EQUIPPED with a DVD player. Your purposes for DVD use may be different from mine and that's expected but let's not generalize that everyone uses their vehicles the same way that you do. So if you have no advice for making the current system work tailored to a specific user's needs then keep your idiotic comments to yourself...this isn't the place for them.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
As much as that seems like a great idea to you and the subsequent idiots who recommend getting a portable DVD player/laptop for this purpose...that completely nullifies buying a vehicle EQUIPPED with a DVD player. Your purposes for DVD use may be different from mine and that's expected but let's not generalize that everyone uses their vehicles the same way that you do. So if you have no advice for making the current system work tailored to a specific user's needs then keep your idiotic comments to yourself...this isn't the place for them.

You ask for help and then chew out folks that gave it their best shot?

Hmm. How many will go out of their way to help you next time you ask, knowing that you will call them idiots? How many 'idiots' in this thread knew what do to do when you did not?

IOW, please touch a charged capacitor.

Bill

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
1/2(CV^2)=P so a 1F cap (common in car audio) charged to 14V will have enough to power the head unit for maybe a few seconds depending on audio levels.

If you're going to be running this thing extended periods, invest in good gauge wiring, terminals and toss in a nice deep cycle battery in the trunk.

But remember you bought a car not a movie theater, many people who post here because they drive their cars not because they like to sit in them parked.

The higher voltage caps are more fun to play with, take a fully charged 100V 100,000uF cap. Slam the bottom of a soda can across the terminals of the cap and enjoy your new home made plasma soda can cutter. Hearing protection is recommended.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
You ask for help and then chew out folks that gave it their best shot?
Hmm. How many will go out of their way to help you next time you ask, knowing that you will call them idiots? How many 'idiots' in this thread knew what do to do when you did not?
IOW, please touch a charged capacitor.
Bill