Differences Between 98 Jetta TDI and 2000 Jetta TDI

ephshoe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I have a 98 Jetta and like the new body style of the 2000. Does anyone know if there are any additions or improvements between these two years. It just might not be worthwhile for me to trade up.
Thanks

Ric Woodruff

BANNED, Ric went to Coventry.
Are you talking engine or body? The engine is pretty much the same, with minor changes (improvements/manufacturing cost reductions) A top removable oil filter cartridge making for easier oil changes is the biggest I can think of.

The body of the 2000 model has definitely LESS rear headroom. The trunk might be a little smaller (possibly due to a full size spare tire). The 2000 body is supposedly more rigid.

The 2000 cost quite a bit more than the '98.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
they reworked the interior completely.

We can tell you almost all of the differences but 90% of them are appearent if you take a test drive in a new one (any model). I have a couple friends with 98's (GOLFs I got a 99golf same as 00 golf with one or two changes) HUGE difference. Both of my friends would much rather have the new style over the old. . . I think it is just due to the sweet color of the instrument lights!

Ric is about right on this. Though I think the '98 TDI doesn't have the better Turbo. . . Air induction is different I think?

OH big diff. 15" wheels onthe 99 00 models. Bigger diameter tires give a better ride. . . NOw that the gears are working inthe brain I could go on but teh VW web (www.VW.com) site does have a good list of what comes onthe '00 Jetta and you should be able to get a good comparision there esp if combined with a trip to a dealer.

Peter Cheuk

Gasser :P
TDI
'06 Jetta GLI
I've had a chance to drive dparnell's '99 A4 Golf GLS TDI and I have to say that my '98 Jetta TDI is much less refined. My car is noisy. The Golf was quiet. You can't really hear the motor in the Golf while in my car, you can hear the turbo spool up, the rumble from the motor and roadnoise. Compared to a gas A3 Jetta, it's downright quiet. But, compared to the newer Golf, it's noisy.

As far as engine differences are concerned, the newer motor is much more tweakable. That's because of the newer car's Garrett GTVNT15 turbo compared to our Garrett GT15 turbo.

The suspension on the A4s are supposed to be a better design than the older car's. I didn't get a chance to confirm this, though.

Frank TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jatta TDI- 1999 Golf TDI
Hey guys, do you think that the filter assy from the 99/00 could be fitted to a 97/98. This would make oil changes a lot simpler.

------------------
Frank TDI
1997 Jetta TDI
1999 Golf TDI

M

mickey

A better, and probably much cheaper, solution would be to buy a bypass filter kit. You could relocate the full-flow filter and add a bypass filter all in one shot. Convenience AND squeaky-clean oil! Check with Amsoil: They sell just such a kit, I believe.

-mickey