www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old October 7th, 2011, 07:05   #1
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Depends on my right foot
Default Glow plug light flashed....and then didn't.

Hello fellow TDI lovers,

Here's the quick run down. This morning the car started up fine. Ran it for about 3/4 of a mile and when I took off from the next stop light I noticed the glow plug light flashing. Immediately I start fearing the worse. Since I was pretty close to work I just moved to the right and rolled pretty slow. Notice when I put a little right foot into it not much was going on. I suppose this is limp mode. Anways, I got to work and shut her down and waited a couple seconds. turn the key and let the glow plugs cycle and started her up......Amazingly no flashing glow plug light. Since it was still early at work the lot was mostly empty so i took it around the lot giving it more right foot and all was normal. Peppy and responsive. I hope it was just a minor hiccup in the system. However, If this happens again I will be at the dealer very quickly.

The vital stats of my TDI: 2010 Golf TDI. Mileage:28,200. Powerservice has been used. Never a mis-fuel (not even a little).

If any of y'all could maybe put some of my worries (HPFP) to rest I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:16   #2
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Oh one more important thing. I did NOT get the "SERVICE NOW!" notification in the MFD. nor did the car shudder or make strange noises or idle any differently. Did notice though that I couldnt set cruise haha.
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:51   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

if the GP light was shown and it went into limp mode, a code was stored that should be read and tracked so later on down the line you'll know what/where to look for plausable issues.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:37   #4
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Thank you 740 GLE. Taking it to the dealer today after work to get the code read. The Ill go from there.
Old October 7th, 2011, 15:30   #5
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

Default Update!!!

Just got back from the dealer (Hewlett in Georgetown, TX.) and within 5 minutes of being there (with no appointment) a tech was out to my car with the scanner. Scan showed I had a Low boost fault code. Only happened one time. He showed me all the values (boost, ect) with the engine running. Boost normal, EGT normal. Ran an EGR test program that returned all normal values. So he sent me on my way. Said if it happens again definitely bring it in. I think this was an isolated incident. The car was still cold and I took off from a stop light alittle quick. The TDI might have still been waking up. Who knows! For now Ill drive more and worry less. Have a good weekend everyone!
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:01   #6
specsalot
Veteran Member

LOL - I have to say from your post in the top end thread, I find it hard to believe you would every take off from a stop light alittle quick.

In my read through of the narrative some time ago, I remembered that warm up seemed to be closely monitored with adjustments by the ECM. In any case, glad to hear of your good service experience and the positive report. I can say in general (from my experience with larger engines) that diesels are happiest when loaded up.
'88 Porsche 944 Turbo
specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:00   #7
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

specsalot,

Yes I do go from the lights quickly......sometimes haha. However, the situation baffled me. I might take my fuel filter out soon and check for metal flakes. More as a reassurance. Thanks for the feedback. So far the car has been all systems normal.
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:52   #8
740GLE
Veteran Member

BTW some actuators on these tubos seem to give up the ghoast with not a whole lot of miles on them, there have been two or three reported here that needed replacement at around 80-100K miles. Mind you at this time, you can not buy just the actuator, the lowest replaceable unit is the turbo w/ actuator, which more than doubles the price. Hopefully with time actuators will be sold by them selves, making the repair tons cheaper.
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 14:16   #9
AlPuc

TDI(s): 2010 JSW TDI

2010 TDI JSW, DSG, 22K miles--I had an episode this week with very similar symptoms: Started the car up; drove it a couple of miles up the highway, and it lost about 50% of power and the glow plug light came on. Having little alternative, I "limped on down the shoulder", in Charlie Daniels' immortal words. Finally pulled over, shut 'er off, waited a few seconds, and started it back up. Ran fine, no more glow plug light, but the "check engine" icon stayed illuminated on the dash board. Next morning, repeat same events. Called the dealer (Auburn VW in Auburn, WA) and drove it over there, took a loaner and left. They called in a few hours, said they'd found a wiring harness rubbing on an aluminum coolant heat shield (I think that's what they said) and repaired it. Kind of a pain, but I gotta say that they did right by me PDQ, and the complaint hasn't resurfaced. They even got VW to pay for the loaner car fee, so I really don't have any complaint about the service or warranty repair--just wish whoever routed the wiring down in Mexico had done it right in the first place...
AlPuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2011, 10:23   #10
BarnyardsTDI
Veteran Member

AlPuc, thanks for the feedback. That is a strange occurrence! So far no problems.