Chevy Cruze Eco MPG

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
It may have been klicks for all I remember. Too much pot smoking going on in the island to get hooked on computers....:D we were looking for a spot to build an ammonia plant and there were fields of hemp growing all around the areas where we were poking holes into the ground. Ended up in Point Lisas (new area there in 1997). Crazy, crazy place.....
So i have you to thank for that horrific stinch:) It was awful driving past it to the pipelines in the South.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
So i have you to thank for that horrific stinch:) It was awful driving past it to the pipelines in the South.
Haha...had to do something with all that natural gas sitting offshore.....There are a lot of tenants at the Point. Many don't care about air emissions controls either.:p

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Drove the ECO

I found a manual tranny Cruze ECO at a local dealer. At 2,000 rpm, car is going 66 mph. The car can hold 6th gear on the freeway. If I needed to make a critical pass, I might downshift to 5th. At 60 mph steady, the trip computer said I was getting 54 mpg. The manual gearbox is the best stick I have ever driven, with the possible exception of a 1974 Peugeot 504 diesel...:eek:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
most underrated car in america. period. 6 speed eco....no options...mileage, warranty, and good build....resale after 100K will be similar as most other cars...tdi might be 2-3k more but look at the cost....

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
most underrated car in america. period. 6 speed eco....no options...mileage, warranty, and good build....resale after 100K will be similar as most other cars...tdi might be 2-3k more but look at the cost....
Can't get it in Canada with the diesel either?

TDI
The bluemotion would be so wonderful. Has anyone heard anything about VW bringing it over. I saw a post some place on this forum about it but it just had a broken link to some page. Searches of the internet bring up two year old articles about it. Anyone hear something new?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
The Cruze diesel uses an ANCIENT 2.0 VM Motori designed engine. Not even remotely comparable to a VW diesel in fuel economy or NVH.

HeliHaole

TDI
Looking @ 2011 Golf
Im quite torn
Tdi in canada $30k , Ford focus 5 speed $22k after rebates etc.
I understand the Golf has the better "driving experience" but for $8000 I could also get a CBR 600 which has even better road performance.
Just a thought

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yep, more than one way to go. I like to look at full running costs, like cost per mile. TDi will depreciate at such and such a rate, and cost x dollars every y miles for maintance, then come up with a total cost. Focus will be no different. Higher depreciation rate, higher fuel cost per mile (potentially), maybe cheaper maintance per mile? Boil it down to cost per mile, and maybe a separate cost per year (for registration and insurance, which tend to be "fixed" costs, regardless of how much you drive per year), and see what will be cheaper over say 5 years.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
How long does it take and the cost to get engine CARB certified.Will it still get 50 mpg after it pass carb certified?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Yep, more than one way to go. I like to look at full running costs, like cost per mile. TDi will depreciate at such and such a rate, and cost x dollars every y miles for maintance, then come up with a total cost. Focus will be no different. Higher depreciation rate, higher fuel cost per mile (potentially), maybe cheaper maintance per mile? Boil it down to cost per mile, and maybe a separate cost per year (for registration and insurance, which tend to be "fixed" costs, regardless of how much you drive per year), and see what will be cheaper over say 5 years.
Yup, or just use the calculator in my signature.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Yup, or just use the calculator in my signature.
Interesting calculator. Of course it assumes a bit much--like the fact I drive 32kmiles/year instead of 15, or you can't easily ajdust fuel costs (when I looked at buying my '04 I think assumed 5% increase per year, but could easily have done the math to do 25%). I still like looking at the numbers in Excel. And then tracking the actual costs (which reminds me, I haven't been doing that lately...).

Interesting. Sportwagon says $35,577 for 5 years. Wife is thinking about base Camry, and that comes to $31,235. According to her, all receipts, her '01 Civic ran $46k for 10 years. Numbers, numbers, numbers...

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Interesting calculator. Of course it assumes a bit much--like the fact I drive 32kmiles/year instead of 15, or you can't easily ajdust fuel costs (when I looked at buying my '04 I think assumed 5% increase per year, but could easily have done the math to do 25%). I still like looking at the numbers in Excel. And then tracking the actual costs (which reminds me, I haven't been doing that lately...).

Interesting. Sportwagon says $35,577 for 5 years. Wife is thinking about base Camry, and that comes to $31,235. According to her, all receipts, her '01 Civic ran $46k for 10 years. Numbers, numbers, numbers...
Good point. A more detailed model where you can enter projected future fuel prices is good, but then again we're all just guessing. I think Edmund's TCO is a great comparison tool, but may be off on absolute numbers. No model is perfect.

Unless diesel ups its game quite fast, whatever sales advantage (selling every car they produce without advertising, for example) they have in USA is going to vaporize, and they're going to get their lunch eaten. It sucks that diesel is being penalized by emissions rules here, but it is what it is, and GDI/TGDI technology is surpassing Tdi quickly. Were the EPA and CARB to harmonize rules with the EU and Japan, the picture would be very interesting indeed. One can dream.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
OHHH TCO, looks like year 4 I've got some serious cash to spend on Maintenance $1500! I guess their calling for set of tires, and possibly Timing belt plus a set of brakes.

So far with 40K and two years on the clock, it's cost me $450 for complete set of winter tires on rims. $120 for software for oil change/FF change, $90 for dealer alignment. plus a few bucks here and there for washes and cleanings I guess I'm doing right in line of their specs with the additional safty of winter tires.

ChasSidwa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006.5, Silver Diesel Edition
My TDI Jetta trip computer is wildly optimistic too?

absolutetraitor

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf, 2door, all show, no go SOLD 2006.5 Jetta TDI sport DSG... worst vw ever owned.
Took a 6-speed manual eco for a test drive and I have to say I was really impressed. My impression of the car was it was the best of a diesel and gasser together. Turbo spools up around 1400 rpm, it has enough torque to move it like a tdi because it's such a light car, and it revs to 6k rpm when you want to play boy racer. I always loved my diesels for all there torquey bark, but if you want to hole shot someone at a light, you'd better be sure you can get them before 3k rpm in second gear, because there's no bite after that. Even a little v-tech will get past you, since the tdi is running out of revs.

I'd looooove to see a 2.0 diesel in a chevy cruze. I was really close to picking up the 6-speed manual eco model this summer, but I decided to stick with the VW for another year. If the diesel actually happens, I'll be glad I did. If chevy offers the diesel cruze with a manual trans, i'll buy one. If they package the diesel motor with all the luxury junk and a slushbox auto trans, I'll pass. But then again, I don't actually believe they'll offer a diesel. Manufacturers like subaru, honda, toyota and even ford have been promising us diesels "next year" for the last 5 years... it's always gonna be "next year", just like chevy is saying now.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Took a 6-speed manual eco for a test drive and I have to say I was really impressed. My impression of the car was it was the best of a diesel and gasser together. Turbo spools up around 1400 rpm, it has enough torque to move it like a tdi because it's such a light car, and it revs to 6k rpm when you want to play boy racer. I always loved my diesels for all there torquey bark, but if you want to hole shot someone at a light, you'd better be sure you can get them before 3k rpm in second gear, because there's no bite after that. Even a little v-tech will get past you, since the tdi is running out of revs.
Did you ever try modifying your TDIs when you owned them?

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green

I'd looooove to see a 2.0 diesel in a chevy cruze. I was really close to picking up the 6-speed manual eco model this summer, but I decided to stick with the VW for another year. If the diesel actually happens, I'll be glad I did. If chevy offers the diesel cruze with a manual trans, i'll buy one. If they package the diesel motor with all the luxury junk and a slushbox auto trans, I'll pass. But then again, I don't actually believe they'll offer a diesel. Manufacturers like subaru, honda, toyota and even ford have been promising us diesels "next year" for the last 5 years... it's always gonna be "next year", just like chevy is saying now.

Test drive a CR TDI and you will see.

absolutetraitor

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf, 2door, all show, no go SOLD 2006.5 Jetta TDI sport DSG... worst vw ever owned.
My 2001 had a vnt17 on it. It was plenty quick, but my philosophy with my tdi was always that it wasn't my fast car. But because it was so fun to drive, sometimes I'd bite off more than I could chew at stop lights. When your other car is a 400 pontiac powered firebird you sometimes forget that you're not invincible from the lights. Now that's torque.

I'll admit, I haven't driven a 2.0l tdi yet... mostly because I've been disenchanted with VW since I've had my 2006. I have to agree with those who make the point that chevy and ford are making some pretty decent cars. They have that solid coffin feel of a german car, but with lower maintenance costs, better dealer support, better warranties, and virtually the same fuel economy.
If chevy throws a diesel in the mix, VW better watch out.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The topic of the new Ford Focus came up earlier in this thread, and I have a friend who bought one (hatch, automatic).

Welllll ... it's for sale, and I ain't buying it. The car was fine for the first couple months, then it developed an oil leak at the rear main seal, which required transmission replacement because the engine oil contaminated the clutch (evidently this transmission uses "dry" clutches unlike the "wet" clutches that VW has used thus far in the DSG in North America). And ... the replacement transmission has all of the roughness on takeoff and shifting that you can read plenty about if you go poking around on the internet a little.

Obviously the auto-tranny issues can be avoided by buying manual (which I would), but the rear main seal could have happened either way.

I ain't buying one!