best turbo choice for 260bhp/400ftlb daily driver?

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
Ive emailed them from what they say it's a bolt on fit 4th gen turbo with no lag perfect powerband and balence for a fast Dailey driver so sounds like a pretty good option I was looking at another 56 bolt on hybrid
But just rather have a gtd hybrid than a kkk

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Considering that you were disappointed when riding in a Fabia with a gtb2260vklr, Go for the GTD17 hybrid. I suggest a big-trim 56mm instead of 60.

Last edited:

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Last edited:

gmo

TDI
modded pd130 asz vw bora .. 04
Considering that you were disappointed when riding in a Fabia with a gtb2260vklr, Go for the GTD17 hybrid. I suggest a big-trim 56mm instead of 60.
it was vk not a vklr mate ,the darkside kit.

i was talking to lad last night, dont get me wrong it was very nice car and far from disappointing , just not quite what im after . once on boost it took of like a scaled cat but i live out in the stix were we have very little in way straight roads, it all twisty stuff so spend quite a bit of time low to mid revs and the 2260 didnt have that out of corner pull i want

gtd1756 with big wheel it is mate . any particular style you recommend mate ?

oh and many thanks for the links, ive got some serious home work to do , i thought i knew a thing of 2 about tdi's till i came on here . do you mind if i pm you with any questions in future ?

gmo

TDI
Ive emailed them from what they say it's a bolt on fit 4th gen turbo with no lag perfect powerband and balence for a fast Dailey driver so sounds like a pretty good option I was looking at another 56 bolt on hybrid
But just rather have a gtd hybrid than a kkk
deffo seems like best option mate . might not quite reach the 260 bhp but wont be far off and shouldnt have any issues getting around 400 usable ftlbs.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Some other thoughts. If you want the quicker spool over absolute numbers and fewer headaches over leaks and cracks, keep the OEM log-style manifold instead of going with tubular headers. The GTD turbo has a V-band turbine outlet flange but I've been told it's a non-standard size around 2.5". From this V-band, you can get a 2.5" to 3" V-band reducer and then on to the downstream exhaust.

For my build - different engine and car as yours, I'm thinking of the using a GTD1752VRK to a 4" Diesel catalyst and flexpipe (only because I'm not willing to do without a cat and 4" is way cheaper than any other size :confused: and then on to a 3" cat-back exhaust).

Feel free to PM but I prefer keeping discussions open to diffuse ideas and knowledge for the benefit of many.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I would still Take a ball bearing gtb2060vklr, keep things stock and it will have the transient response you crave ! One thing to worry about is boost leaks and blown hoses- the vklr’s don’t like it and they can easily over speed in such instances !
The gtb2260vk is a very, very robust turbo and will take a lot of punishment before throwing in the towel ! As we said, if it’s quick boost off the line you after then stick to small frame gtb/gtd 17xx turbo, if it’s transient response then a vklr is best and for top end just get a hybrid either gtb v6 or vklr ! With fueling sorted it will be rude not to go bigger !

gmo

TDI
does anyone else get a headache when trying to choose parts lol.. so gtd1756vrk or gtb2060 vklr.. both about same price on cast pd mani. since ive got the nozzles i might have to got 2060vklr but the gtd 1756 still sounds good, i can see me flipping a coin at end of month when i order it lol
im going to need a diff to .. the missus is going to kill me when it all lands

Last edited:

gmo

TDI
Feel free to PM but I prefer keeping discussions open to diffuse ideas and knowledge for the benefit of many.[/QUOTE]

will do mate , just some questions i have seen a bit stupid to put up and feel thick lol. your right ,open discussion is best way to solve problems

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
I know what you mean I was always terrible about choosing turbos I've had loads in petrol and diesel and still get a headache
Think I'm going to the gtd though lol , Only Question I have is , I'm aware intercoolers are advisable when pushing any larger turbo but I'm not sure how good the stock ones are on the scirroco or you're skoda fabia , and what there threshold is
Also is there any need to upgrade Our intake manifold .
Or can we just drop them And just not turn the boost up full until we have intercooler and clutch

gmo

TDI
I know what you mean I was always terrible about choosing turbos I've had loads in petrol and diesel and still get a headache
Think I'm going to the gtd though lol , Only Question I have is , I'm aware intercoolers are advisable when pushing any larger turbo but I'm not sure how good the stock ones are on the scirroco or you're skoda fabia , and what there threshold is
Also is there any need to upgrade Our intake manifold .
Or can we just drop them And just not turn the boost up full until we have intercooler and clutch
That fabia was my mates , it had a airtech fmic one and sach sre smf kit and a spec sheet fo poly bushes and spec sheet as long as my arm of various aftermaket bits .

i have a bora pd130 asz se , the last bora pd130 i had i tried to run 33 psi though stock side mount and iat's shot up from 30 to 90 plus after a few hard pulls and didnt cool down till i stopped of boost for good few miles
. i put a darkside fmic and hardpipe kit on and ait's have never went over mid 40s no matter how hard i drove it or what the weather was like. , its rated for 45 psi or 350 bhp so more than what i need . tbh it gave the car a LOT more top end pull!!

intake mani if good for about 280-300bhp iirc and clutch wise i have a helix smf kit ready to fit but thinking about trying cg clutch kit and keeping the dmf as i got few spare and helix kit was noisey as hell out of gear.. sounded like a rod had come loose in the engine lol. great to drive hard but wore thin quick ,

cg stuff i not badly priced and used few bit from them in past with good results.. far cheaper than sach helix ect.. they are based in leeds.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
Either turbo is fine mate - choose one once and all and move on to other issues. You'll need upgraded nozzles, a re-map and likely a clutch too for 260 HP. At least +100% nozzles to keep the injection window reasonable but many will try to push +80s or even smaller to their own detriment and peril.

cog

Veteran Member
TDI
98 GT.TDI 11O
Cheers Meister just been a while modding vw's Suspected these may better cope with cooling and clutch than my old mk 4 golf
But only had the scirroco a short while quick glance couldn't trace the pipes to a side mount or front mount but slotted bewtwen the rad and the fan ,
And gmo I'm gonna try and stick with dual mass for a nice idling Dailey driver in the golf I had a single mass and it was so loud and tractor like just let too many vibrations through ok for the car I was building but not nice for an everyday car to stick the kids in , wish I had whipped out that southbend clutch though
It's been a while shopping for clutches for vw I used to know know all the places and ftlb ratings
But life and work got in the way for a while just need to re learn again
I'll check out cg stuff though

Last edited:

gmo

TDI
Either turbo is fine mate - choose one once and all and move on to other issues. You'll need upgraded nozzles, a re-map and likely a clutch too for 260 HP. At least +100% nozzles to keep the injection window reasonable but many will try to push +80s or even smaller to their own detriment and peril.
+100s?. gutted i have a set of 80s here ready.. i was led to believe that they would support 280bhp with no fuss.. is this not the case ?

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
80s are IMO fine for 260 if you already have them but if you didn't I would've preferred +100s to permit a shorter injection window. But once you start going even bigger you'll have rough idle issues which is no good either, so stick with the 80s. Keep us posted of the results and impressions!