Need to replace broken center consol lid/latch

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver B5.5 GLS TDi Passat wagon w/ Tiptronic
My '05 A4 has a broken latch on the lid of the center console box/armrest. When I lift the arm rest to fit my water bottle in the larger cup holder, that's when the lid flops backward and everything inside falls out. Have stopped putting anything in it until I get it fixed.

Can I replace just the lid or do I need a larger part?
Anyone know where I can get a replacement?
Mine is a black interior color with a black cloth top, but I'll take any color.

Also, could use instructions on how to replace it.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks puter. I see how easy it is to replace it.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I picked up one at a salvage yard instead of buying a new one. Installation was a snap, literally. While I was there, I found a lighter for the Jetta and a gas tank lever pull for my Subaru OBW too. I broke the old one years ago. All I had to do was go out and find these in the old cars myself. Was prepared to give the guys a few bucks but they wouldn't take anything for them. Can't beat free!

Xplorer

TDI
2003 Golf Gl
Do youyrself a favor and glue the springs in with a polyurethane glue such as Gorilla Glue. Even if the latch comes apart you won't loose the damn springs. Make sure you clean surfaces with alcohol first. Only takes a drop of glue each spring to save grief next time you flop arm rest over.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've also heard of people replacing the latch with velcro

I've broken my 3rd or 4th latch now...I am going to try velcro and just haven't had the time.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
First it was my latch that broke and after that the plastic hinge broke. I now have a spring loaded hinge with a half inch offset; the kind used on kitchen cabinets. Velcro, though not needed now, is still in place at the front end of my arm rest. I figured if they broke once, the plastic parts will break again, just like Puter mentioned.

Harlan

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Anyone got a picture of the velcro job?
I've got a 2002, and I'm on my fourth latch that has broken....Thanks.

electryc_monk

TDI
'04 Jetta sedan PD TDI, '03 Beetle 5spd TDI, '02 Golf GTI 6spd, '00 Jetta TDI 5spd
heh and I've deblt(sp) with a broken rear hindge for over a year now... yeah and the front latch... I figured I'd find a front latch eventually but when the rear hindge broke in two places when cleaning the entire armrest assembly.... I was like (charlie brown version of "ARGH!") .... sooo yeah.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
The replacement latch I found at the junk yard lasted a year and then broke again. Velcro sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the idea.

ZipiTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
My daughter didn't like the velcro trick much. Said the sound was annoying, and it messed up her nail polish LOL! Not long after I stuck the strips on, I could see they were getting clogged up with all sorts of crap - dust, her hair, various cloth fibers. So, I bought a 2 pk of brand new latches w/ springs, and a used console lid on Ebay. Cost p/latch $2.50. The lid - $10. Install took very little time - my mechanic installed the new lid in about a minute at no charge, since the Jetta was in for a couple other minor things too. So far, the new-to-us lid and its latch are holding strong.

Last edited: