Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
2018 Update

I took delivery on IBW this month 16 years ago. It now has 364K on it, and it got its annual detail this week, so I thought I'd post an updated photo.

I've now got 364K on the car, about 17K miles more than a year ago. Engine has just over 70K on it, runs excellent. No oil consumption. I had the A/C serviced last spring which included a new compressor, receiver/drier, and expansion valve. A/C now works great. And last month I got a new set of all season tires, General Altimax 43s. $237 at Tire Rack with the rebate before shipping, not a bad deal. I do like 15" wheels.

I've had some difficulty shifting from 2nd to 3rd without the gears grinding, and the transmission has been reluctant to downshift fro 5th to 4th. After two fills of Pennzoil Synchromesh, the grinding is gone and the 5/4 shift is manageable. I do have a BEW transmission with 95K on it sitting in my garage when the time comes to change it out.

Otherwise the car has been trouble free. I haven't used it for as many long drives as I have previously: My GSW went to Detroit in January, partly because there were 4 of us and sitting the back seat of a MKIV has never been much fun. It's been to NYC a few times, and to Western MA a bunch, but otherwise it's my daily driver. I still look forward to driving it, and it still delivers great FE, as shown by my most recent tank:

For years I've been thinking that at some point I'd grow tired of this car or that it would become unreliable or too expensive to keep on the road. Not yet. I've owned a bunch of VWs, but this is hands down the best one. VW really got this car right.

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
And last month I got a new set of all season tires, General Altimax 43s. $237 at Tire Rack with the rebate before shipping, not a bad deal. I do like 15" wheels.

Wow, that is an amazing deal. At first I thought that was per tire and wondered what kind of crazy performance tire you had found for it. That is less than the price of a single 20" Touareg tire! :eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I had run Michelins for the last few years because a new set on great condition Avus 1 wheels came with my son's '02 Golf, and he doesn't like alloy wheels. But the Michelins were about $200 more than the Generals. I have the Altimax RT43s on my B4, and they seem to work fine. I'm happy with them on the wagon. Better in the rain and grippier than the Michelin Energies, although that wouldn't be difficult. And based on my last tank mileage of 51.4, they don't do badly on fuel, either.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Peter, what is your mileage now? I remember you bringing a car load (totally loaded) of parts for everybody at GTG’s back in the day, I remember from 2006 for several years in Asheville at Landon’s (RIP) GTG’s a few times, and Chapin at Dan’s. I can’t tell you how much I miss those days, and all the great people we met and help everyone gave each other. Also the really long nights Jeff when Jeff would come to tune everyone’s cars. I remember one time he tuned on cars till 4:00am.
My car has 433,000 on it now, still running great!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I'm at 454K now. 160K on the replacement engine, and it's running perfectly. I persistently get 50+ MPG, tank after tank. And the Wagon still looks pretty good. Here it is in May. It's 20 years old!

I miss those days, too. I speak to Daniel Grindstaff occasionally, and I spoke to someone the other day who I had met at DanG's back in the day.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I'm at 454K now. 160K on the replacement engine, and it's running perfectly. I persistently get 50+ MPG, tank after tank. And the Wagon still looks pretty good. Here it is in May. It's 20 years old!

I miss those days, too. I speak to Daniel Grindstaff occasionally, and I spoke to someone the other day who I had met at DanG's back in the day.
Wow, IBW is looking great! You’ve got me by 20k lol. Great to see some of the original guys and their cars still doing great. I told my wife she can just bury me in it. Lol

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
Lookin' good, Peter. Still need to get mine to somebody who knows how to fix the rust on the front edge of the rocker. Sent an email to your pals down there, got no response. (Being a northern country boy, I hate driving around Bean-Town and the South Shore but maybe I'll have to...?)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Send me a PM if you want a shop recommendation in the Boston area (South Shore). I would imagine there are also body shops in NH that will do this work, I just don't know who they are.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
That's a lot of miles for someone who has so many TDIs, Peter. I'm about 100K ahead of you on my '03 Wagon (my only ride); it's an '03 built in August of 2002, it has the sliding VW cupholders etc. and a number of other '02 parts; VIN ends in 00059.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That's a lot of miles for someone who has so many TDIs, Peter.
It is. I've driven it about 22K a year pretty consistently since new. Less during the pandemic, because of no road trips to speak of since early '20, except for a 48 hour run to Wisconsin and back in July of '20. I noticed this morning, after filling it up on Sunday evening, that I had driven 100 miles yesterday. I have no idea where I went. But this happens.

I don't accumulate a lot of miles on the other TDIs. I filled my '99.5 Golf on Sunday. Last fill was in April of this year.